Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Show Announcements »

Permalink Frankie & The Pool Boys Hype Machine

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next

Two shows this Saturday March 24th with the Surf Coaster's Naotaka on drums, direct from Tokyo!

Matinee show at Forbidden Island with East Bay Surf favorites The Deadbeats. Doors at 2, show at 3:00.

Night show with the Bay Area's newest surf band Brodaddy. This is at The Sports Page. Show starts at 9pm. The Sports Page is down in Google territory just off the 101 at Shoreline: 1431 Plymouth St., Mountain View,

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Last edited: Apr 03, 2012 00:36:50

Sounds like huge a lot of fun. Can we look forward to videos?

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

From rehearsal last night...Naotaka rocks the house.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

AWESOME!!! Hope you have two GREAT shows today, guys - so wish I could be there!!! Rock it!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Superman doesn't suffer from jet lag.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Wow I wish I could be there! Have fun!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

siiiiigh
so close, yet so far away.
Sigh

Jeff(bigtikidude)

So, any kind of report? Videos? Photos? Anything?? Danny? Ferenc? Anybody else? Frankie fans want to know!!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

It was a great show on a super-rainy day! I was surprised to find out that Danny was a Deadbeat, at least temporarily. I brought two girls who had never heard surf music before, they are now hooked (and said that Naotaka was especially charming) Cool What a great way to end the winter surf show hibernation.

Here's a few shots from Forbidden Island in Alameda, this link will get you to the whole album.

Photos courtesy of Darren Kruger - Thanks Darren!

Danny Snyder

_

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012 12:02:12

Very cool!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

What a great time. It's really something to be able to get together for a few days and knock out a great set of music like this. I still can't believe Naotaka came all the way out here just for a couple shows. He was ready to play though, he kicked butt on the drums, such a joy to play with! My dream is to return the favor and head over to Japan some day and play with him on his home turf.

For a rainy day, the crowds at both shows were impressive. Thanks for all the SG101'ers who made it out. Got to meet Rich from Cutback finally, though I wasn't able to connect the dots that it was him until after we spoke Rolling Eyes

I also got to play with the Deadbeats for the first time as a Deadbeat. Abe unexpectedly couldn't play the show so I stepped in. Playing quite a few songs unrehearsed with them. Happily, they came out pretty good. Of course they make it easy, being such an awesome band. With Tony and I in the Deadbeats, and they filling in for our bands, we've completed the circle of East Bay surf bands - We're all one now! haha!

Speaking of Forbidden Island - hands down the best Tiki bar in NorCal, they're up for best specialty cocktails in SF Bay Area and would appreciate some help in the voting. Here's the link, please share with all your friends too. Michael Thanos's commitment to making Forbidden Island the Bay Area's home to surf music is truly appreciated and we owe him all the support we can give.

I have to add, that we played last night with new band Brodaddy, featuring a couple SG101ers, Jeff Weber and Big Wave Dave. They played a tight set of some great tunes, we were all really impressed. We're very pleased to welcome them into the Bay Area surf music family.

All in all a great day, big thanks as always to Ferenc for putting this together and giving us such great songs to play. Frankie and the Poolboys will be back again this summer in Italy at Surfer Joe, so stay tuned...

Danny Snyder

_

Danny ~ you still wanna swap Fender amp logos ?
btw... your PM box is full. Can't PM you.

Caught the show at the Sports Page in Mountain View last night. Was not expecting much from Brodaddy, since they are a new band, but was really blown away. Very much looking forward to seeing more from this fine surf band.

F&PB was terrific and Naotaka was endearing as ever.

Nice crowd - glad they were not deterred by the pouring rain..

Coz

Man-o-man am I burnt toast! I just got back from dropping Naotaka at the airport. In 48 hours we recorded two songs in the studio, had a rehearsal, two gigs, a video shoot**, 130 miles in pouring rain, and had a great time. For Naotaka, add 25 hours in an airplane and another 4 hours airport commute on his end. I am particularly happy that we were able to record with him as I really wanted to have him as a featured guest on the new CD. Thanks to everybody who braved the monsoon to come to the shows!

**The video shoot happened at Forbidden Island before the doors opened. Frankie shot two songs- "Amber Waves", and a new on "Skinny Dippin'". The Deadbeats did three songs, including "Yozori No Hoshi" with Naotaka on vocals. We'll let you know when the editing is done.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012 14:05:47

Louie7 wrote:

Danny ~ you still wanna swap Fender amp logos ?
btw... your PM box is full. Can't PM you.

I'm good thanks Louie. PM's are now thinned out.

Danny Snyder

_

Sounds like an amazing time! Looking forward to the recordings - both the video from the show & the album in the works!

Neat story about the "Bay Area Band Member Swap." Seems to me this happens more in "surf" than any other genre - at least those I'm familiar with.

Exciting too, to hear the comment from Danny "Frankie and the Poolboys will be back again this summer in Italy at Surfer Joe, so stay tuned..."

ps - that one pick of Naotaka, he looks like he's about 15 Smile

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

It was a really fun time at the Sports Page in Mountainview. BroDaddy was a great opener, and Frankie and the Pool Boys tore it up. It's amazing how tight F&TPB were with the limited rehearsal time. Naotaka played like a man-possessed, and like he had been playing with the band for years. Tony held down the bottom really well on a Danelectro bass. Karen was terrific on the keyboards. And Ferenc and Danny were every bit as awesome on guitars as you would expect. Danny sounded great through the tiny (but huge sounding) MicroPro 200, and Ferenc always sounds like a million bucks through his Vibroverb. As best I can remember, Here's the Setlist:
The Raven
Tsunami Struck
Teke Teke Teke
Dead Man Surfin'
Johnny Fool
Dreams
No Surf Today
Amber Waves
Ewa On the Beach
Finito Bandito
Skinny Dipping
A Man Called Dirt
Run, Ripley, Run!
Ice Station Echo
Magyara
The Cruel Sea, and
Surf Party
My only quibble would be the length of time played (less than an hour), but as Ferenc said when an encore was requested, "Hey, we just played this afternoon! This whole show was our encore." It was a good venue, and the crowd was pretty good, considering the rainy weather.

Bob

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012 01:02:28

And thanks again to all who made it out to The Sports Page in Mountain View CA (KFJC country) Cousin Mary in attendance! as well as many of the long-time Surf family of Bay Area fans.

Great show by Frankie and The Pool Boys at The Sports Page with the amazing "swoop" performance by Surf Coaster, Naotaka Seki, on drums! Happy to be playing with my new band, BroDaddy, kickin it into high gear from the start!

-bIG wAvE Dave
Bass, BroDaddy, The Aquamarines

Danny, great to finally meet you as well....Frankie, what a great set, Forbidden Island, perfect room for surf, even during a monsoon, and dispite the bay bridge challenge. I've got audio of most of the set. I'm really impressed with your tight tight sound, very toneful.
You guys are the best. Rich

Almost forgot, Forbidden Island best cocktails west of the Mai Kai!

www.cutbacksurfband.com

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012 10:27:04

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next