Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink How f*ckin' awesome are The Satan's Pilgrims???!!!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

I would love to seen them play...haven't had the privilege yet. And yes I too think they are effin' awesome.

https://kingpelican.bandcamp.com/

Satan's Pilgrims are petty f%#kin awesome, got to be one of the best modern surf-type bands around. Our band jams on a few of their songs (Colour of your mind and Chi Chi)

'Surf Music Lasts Forever'

Satan's Pilgrims may have been the first Surf / garage band I saw live. I think the Phantom Surfers were also on the bill. And about the same time I accidentally saw MOAM play an in store record store gig. So that was all pretty amazing!

(defunct) Thee Jaguar Sharks

Plus! Other stuff not surf: https://soundcloud.com/jamesmileshq
Enjoy every minute

Satan's Pilgrims are on a very short list of surf or instrumental bands of every "wave" that I feel are EPIC. I first saw them on stage back in 1997 or 1998.

SP's songs are very well crafted and are played with fierce conviction. Their live show is something to behold and they are very nice guys to boot. One of my fondest memories back in my live performing days was when we (The X-Rays) opened for them at the Star Bar in Atlanta. The X-Rays could hold their own with pretty much any band that we were ever on the bill with, but Satan's Pilgrims were just on a different, better planet. It was an honor to have been on the same stage as those guys.

If you ever have the chance to see them live, do it!

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

WoodyJ wrote:

If you ever have the chance to see them live, do it!

Would love to see them again. Can't make Livorno, but hoping they pull off a west coast tour at some point soon.

I lived in Portland in the 90's and Satan's Pilgrims were essentially my introduction to surf music. Saw them at a house party once.

Always wanted to play surf music after that, and finally doing it now, so thanks for the inspiration Ted and crew.

I'm hoping to have them back to the SG101 convention in a couple years.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

WoodyJ wrote:

Their live show is something to behold

Yep! I wrote about this on the first page of this thread already, so I'll skip that here...

and they are very nice guys to boot.

And how!! Here's a quick story: the Space Cossacks undertook a West Coast tour in the summer of '98, starting in Seattle (playing with the Boss Martians), and then moving down to Portland. The Pilgrims knew that it wasn't going to be easy for us to cover all of our costs (including airfare), so since we were hitting Portland on the Fourth of July, they simply GAVE US their well-paying restaurant gig, in return just asking us to play their house party later that evening. How incredible is that?? But wait, there's more!! For the restaurant show they lent us their entire van, packed with their amps and drums - I think Dave drove it for us, too. Just the nicest guys in the world! I am so excited about getting to see them at Surfer Joe!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

First song I heard of theirs was Surf Lyre, I learned it right away and since that moment, I've been hooked. Great band!

Yeah satan is a tough sell in the biblebelt. They ever say how they came upon their name? WhorehayRFB wrote:

They are SO fuckin' awesome that people still get bent out of shape over their name.

Squink Out!

Many great SP tunes have already been praised here but for me their best track is "La Cazuela" off of 1997's Around the World with Satan's Pilgrims. Beautiful music that never gets old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxmMHwOy4Zw

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015 15:09:06

Edward wrote:

Many great SP tunes have already been praised here but for me their best track is "La Cazuela" off of 1997's Around the World with Satan's Pilgrims. Beautiful music that never gets old.

Yeah man.....big fav of mine. Fun tune to play, and a even greater tune to listen to.

2012-2013: FILTHY POLAROIDS

Maybe my favorite too. It's so hard to say. That's why on those top 10 lists, I have so much trouble picking a favorite SP song.

Checked them out based on this topic. They're really good

https://soundcloud.com/mantisrex
Youtube
Download my rock cover of Diamond Head

Listened to Plymouth Rock 2cds on the drive back up from San Diego yesterday, made time fly by.
Just track after amazing track.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Back in early 90's I was heavily into the surfabilly sounds of Southern Culture on the Skids after seeing many of their shows back in Austin, Texas. In 1997 Estrus Records released the benefit compilation "Flaming Burnout" which included a SCOTS track. That was good but what really got my attention was the tune "Ben Tanaka" by a group with the name Satan's Pilgrims(inspired by the 1969 exploitation flick "Satan's Sadists"). Wow, within a few months I had purchased copies of their three albums on Estrus and Empty. Those sounds kept me warm during a cold winter in Philadelphia. The Pilgrims soon released "Creature Feature" and a self titled album on MuSick. It has been a few years since "Psychsploitation" but the compilation "Frankenstomp" will be out soon and it includes the first song that made me a pilgrim, "Ben Tanaka". All Hail Satan's Pilgrims!

Last edited: Apr 03, 2015 17:10:45

My first surf show of the 90s was Satan's Pilgrims at EJs. It kinda changed my life!!!

Since then I've been lucky to see them many, many times and they are always GREAT! Favorite show was probably their Halloween show at The Hollywood Bowl (in Portland, and has since burned down... no reflection on SP!)...or maybe their Crystal Ballroom Show with Ghastly Ones (got to see many SG101 friends), but yeah... that first show at EJs with The Bomboras and Satan's Pilgrims was amazing!!!
(I'm writing this near The Devil's Punch Bowl... seriously!)

Steve
The Apollo Four 2012-present
https://www.facebook.com/ApolloFour/
The Verbtones 2002-2012

Last edited: Feb 08, 2015 00:52:56

Loved the Hollywood Bowl. Had a countertop in our house made out of a section of a bowling lane that supposedly came out of there after the fire. Sad day when it went up in flames. Played at EJ's a couple times back in the day. Good memories. Hope to see the Pilgrims again someday soon.

I'm so looking forward to see these guys at Surfer Joe's!

Was supposed to see perform them in Ghent (Belgium, Erope) at the end of the 90s.
Sadly for me they returned sooner to the States.

Hope they can ship all their vinyl albums for this event.
Or Lorenzo puts them all in his shop Wink

Cheers,
Andy

www.LosVenturas.be

Check out what just came in the mail today! Gotta tell ya, the first track alone, BEN TANAKA made this worth getting. It clocks in at 2 minutes in length, but like a nitro-fueled drag race it feels like it's over in mere seconds. I hit repeat around 10 times! The Pilgrims have a way of making me so damn happy it's hard to explain. I want to cry with joy and break stuff at the same time! Awesome job, Ted & Co.

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Norm, aka the coolest big kid I know.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next