Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink I'm Having Shoulder Surgery in March

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Noel wrote:

i'll say this, i had the most incredibly breath-takingly gorgeous anesthesiology consultant. THE most beautiful woman i've EVER seen. trust me. tall. dark. luscious.

This one nurse I had... Stunning. I don't mean it in a "dude she is so fucking hot!!!" way, I mean "Wow, so that is what a beautiful person looks like".

Noel wrote:

...i had the most incredibly breath-takingly gorgeous anesthesiology consultant. THE most beautiful woman i've EVER seen. trust me. tall. dark. luscious.

Pics or it didn't happen Big Grin

all i can think of is where i'd have been and what i'd have been doing when my bicep tore loose.

Probably should'a laid off those Pete Townsend windmills Whatever

Glad to hear things went well for you! I wish you well in therapy.

anyone want pics can pm me with their email.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Anyone here suspect I'm a careful guy? Well. for a 59 year-old Harley rider, anyway? You'd be right. I ask lots of questions and get lots of answers before I do things. Learned this the hard way.

When I bought my old Fender Stage 112SE amp I went to Fender and printed out an owner's manual and schematic for it. When I bought my Quilter MP-200 amp I read the manual first before using it. I even printed out the related Fender owner's manuals and schematics before using my Jazzmaster.

So at PT today I tell the therapist what happened in surgery and show him the pics and he gets started extending and stretching and rotating. Tells me that at 70 degrees rotation my shoulder is very stiff. THEN he's handed the surgeon's instructions that tell him not to exceed 45 degrees until things have more time to heal. Now he's gonna talk to the doctor and get specific instructions for me.

I'm pretty sore but hopeful no harm was done. It doesn't help that I have a high pain threshold. I'm just laying there thinking this is unpleasant. I'll talk to the surgeon tomorrow. He'll know on Friday.

Hey Noel...as important as music is to you during this process, just remember there's a lot more to it than physically having your hands on an instrument. Utilize this time as perhaps it was intended (something that no one will ever know until it's all over--uh-oh, gettin' too philosophical, but I digres...). Maybe you don't have to jump right back into playing again. Enjoy the break. Take some deeep breaths and just be. Listen to music--I mean, LISTEN to music. Do it and ONLY it and I promise you, you'll hear new and different things you didn't before. Branch out, explore other genres, experiment with the unknown. You'd be amazed at how it all eventually informs your playing. I guarantee when you're well enough, that it will all make an impact and you'll be a better player even though you didn't even physically touch an instrument! Not to get too new-agey, but there are definitely a ton of healing properties in sound out there...are you familiar with Japanese Honkyoku? Classical Indian music? Just enjoy being a sponge for awhile and soak it all up. You'll be back to rockin' out in no time! Speedy recovery, brutha!

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

When I had to take a 6 month break due to injury, I studied music theory...I learned a ton that I would have never have taken the time to learn. I hummed bass lines along with the radio..trying to figure out the key, the chords, minor and major tonalities. Once you learn it, you wonder how you survived without it!

As I began to heal, I strung my guitar in open tuning and played lap steel...and later strung up with light strings and detuned a step so the tension was reduced.

Good luck!

To continue the last two posts here, one of the things I like about surf music is that it includes so many global musical influences. Spanish, Mexican, Middle-Eastern, Greek, Central-European. (If I left something out, it's because I don't know about it.) It all gets used, alone, blended together, scales, phrases, rhythms, maybe just the feel.

Then, yesterday, I heard this, again, but with a new ear if you will. The melody & phrasing, the beat. A new source of surf music inspiration? There has got to be a surf tune in here, or at least something to add to the cultural mix of surf music.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012 13:13:36

Noel wrote:

(If I left something out, it's because I don't know about it.)

You left out Dubstep. Ignorant...

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Thanks, Jake. I needed a laugh. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Had PT today and my shoulder's sore. I also left out the Polka influence on surf. And disco. And German hunting songs. And dirges.

Now, what does someone else think about this song?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNeEoAl5_a4&feature=player_embedded

JakeDobner wrote:

Noel wrote:

(If I left something out, it's because I don't know about it.)

You left out Dubstep. Ignorant...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012 13:53:37

Just an update on progress from the PT. Standing arm extension straight down at full. I can lift it with my right hand to about 95 degrees from perpendicular. Laying on my back I can SLOWLY with pain go over the top to about 130 degrees. I CANNOT yet rotate my arm outward as if to hold a guitar to play it; not even allowed to try that motion yet. Also, it will be at least a month before I can use my bicep to support any weight at all, even just the weight of the arm alone. I'm still limited to lifting my left arm with my right hand, or leaving it in the sling. BUT, I'll be bringing a guitar to PT as soon as we start working on the outward rotation of my left arm. Maybe six or seven weeks?

Have been unable to pickup and setup the keyboard. Frustrating. It needs to be next week.

And again, many thanks for all the encouragement and best wishes. I deeply appreciate them.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012 12:23:43

Hang in there Noel!

Hang in there buddy. Don't worry about your git-fiddle playing for the time being. It'll come back after you're ready to practice. I find, for me at least, that if I occasionally take a break of 2 weeks or so, I come back to playing more inspired, I'll usually do this when I start feeling that my playing is getting stale. However, while you have the extended re-coup time, you can help yourself by visualizing your playing. Put yourself totally into that mental place where you're doing everything except the physical part. You'll be surprised how well that works in keeping your skills up. Get well soon !! Smile

Hi Noel, here's some ideas. Play Jeff Healey style? Play the melodies from Pipeline and Wipeout very slowly with just your index finger. Also, memorize every note on the fret board. Hum each note when you pluck it. And learn your basic scales playing them slowly while humming or singing each note (even if just with right hand on piano). Learning notes and scales and being able to hum/sing along to them are rudimentary skills that almost none of us has taken the time to acquire. Good luck with whatever whatever musical therapy you choose and heal up soon!

NOEL, you've been on my mind and in my prayers!! Glad to read you are doing well, and "handling" it beautifully!! Really moved to see the support you have been getting here, too

Suddenly an 'expression', a 'term', popped into my head. And then I thought of a common way one sees the expression, and came up with this:

I also searched for 'music' that has a 'soft shoulder' reference, and came upon a lot of 'em. So I picked one artist - are you or anyone else here familiar with Kaki King? I've seen her perform, met her -- she's an incredibly talented, gifted guitarist

see if you can dig these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX_DLb2ynEE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHiiO-2fERQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOqoQdpKRhc

UNSTEADY FREDDIE

p.s., WTF??

DOES A BEAR 'SCRATCH' IN THE WOODS?

http://www.facebook.com/unsteady.freddie

Unsteady Freddie wrote, "Really moved to see the support you have been getting here ... " Me too. Very.

Hadn't heard of Kali. Thanks for sharing her music and for the pics of the scratching bears. Good timing. It doesn't hurt when I laugh now.

http://www.helpguide.org/life/humor_laughter_health.htm

Wishing you good health, tranquility, and hilarity, Noel!!

http://www.facebook.com/unsteady.freddie

Hang in there Noel. Best wishes.

Noel wrote:

BUT, I'll be bringing a guitar to PT as soon as we start working on the outward rotation of my left arm.

And with your right arm... the Pete Townsend windmill rotation. Yes

CUTBACK

Laughing That's funny, because my right shoulder has been the worse of the two for over ten years (torn rotator) and would have had surgery first, except my left suddenly tore up during a weekend of heavy yard work. It's part of the reason I have a 4-inch wide strap for playing my bass. I'll need that other operation before I can do windmills. Big Grin We really need a surf-related name for exagerated guitar playing.

Surfgitar wrote:

Noel wrote:

BUT, I'll be bringing a guitar to PT as soon as we start working on the outward rotation of my left arm.

And with your right arm... the Pete Townsend windmill rotation. Yes

Noel wrote:

Big Grin We really need a surf-related name for exagerated guitar playing.

Hot dogging Guitar

You're not drunk if you can put your socks on while standing.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next