Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink Billy Strange RIP

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

http://www.theboot.com/2012/02/23/billy-strange-dead-dies/

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Now THIS is sad news!!!!! Crying
Thanks for the head's up Ryan.
Time to spin those Strange LPs and wish him well in the great beyond.
Just think of the jam sessions he's gonna have!!! R.I.P

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012 11:32:52

Very sad news, I read about this on James Wilsey's FB page earlier, who happens to know quite a lot about the man. I didn't know this, but "Some Velvet Morning" was actually arranged and conducted by Billy Strange... magical tune.

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

Sad indeed. RIP Billy Sad

A true GIANT has left us. This man played on more hits than you can count. Ironically the media and the public will barely notice. Hey, let's talk about Whitney and drugs some more... NOT.

I raise a toast to one of the most recorded guitarists of all time. Along with his own great instrumental albums he also played on recordings by Elvis, Frank Sinatra, Nancy Sintra, The Everly Brothers, Johnny Cash, The Beach Boys, The Ventures, Jan & Dean, Tennesee Ernie Ford, Johnny Rivers, Ricky Nelson just to name only a few.

Here's a few personal favorites with guitar work by Billy... Hal Blaine and the Young Cougars Hot Rod masterpiece LP from '63 and The Last Race and The Lonely Surfer by Jack Nitzsche.

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012 13:46:37

RIP

Is this the same dude who played rhythm guitar on some tracks of the, "Apache '65" album by the Arrows?

The Deadbeats

Big fan. I think he played rhythm for Speedy West and Jimmy Bryant. What a long and incredible career. Strange Country is a favorite album of mine.

Huge influence of mine in the "old days". I still remember him playing "Ghost Riders" and "James bond Theme" on Tennessee Ernie Fords Show.

A true guitar hero, Orchestra director and great composer has left us.

I was very fortunate to have spent an evening with him and his wife at the Baked Potato about 3 years ago.
I will cherish his memory and will safeguard all the email exchanges we had together.

The place we went together to:

Rest in peace Billy,
Abel

RIP Billy, you will be missed. Here's an hour long video produced for Billy's birthday six years ago.

I had never heard the Hal Blaine hot rod LP before. That was great! Was Billy Strange playing the fuzz guitar? Overall, it sounds very much like Jack Nitzsche. Did he have a hand in the arranging or production?

I remember my parents had one or two of the earlier Strange LPs, and that guitar sound was imprinted into my brain as a kid.

Abe wrote:

Is this the same dude who played rhythm guitar on some
tracks of the, "Apache '65" album by the Arrows?

According to an article on Davie Allan in the magazine FUZ from '97 it says that Billy Strange did play rhythm guitar on the Apache '65 album.

EDIT: I emailed Davie and he says Billy only played on the track "Do the Freddie" and the rest of the rhythm was done by him and Harley Hatcher on acoustic on a couple tracks. Paul Johnson is pictured on the album but he did not play on any of the tracks. PJ joined them for the band photo and for The Arrows' live appearances.

Davie says Billy Strange is also on "The Unknown Rider" that appears on "The Wild Angels" album.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012 13:06:49

Strat-o-rama wrote:

I had never heard the Hal Blaine hot rod LP before.
That was great! Was Billy Strange playing the fuzz
guitar? Overall, it sounds very much like Jack
Nitzsche. Did he have a hand in the arranging or
production?

That's Billy on Fuzz along with Glen Campbell and Tommy Tedesco. If you listen closely you'll hear two fuzzes with a different tones which makes really thick sound.

Lee Hazelwood produced the Hot Rod album and co-wrote some of the songs with Hal. Hazelwood and Hal worked on many projects together. Nitzsche worked with Billy Strange a lot but not on Blaine's Hot Rod album.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012 10:55:46

Billy Strange and Glen Campbell are also on this killer track from Bruce Johnson's "Surfin' Round the World" LP from '63. Surf Music with Fuzz from '63!! Dig it...

Very cool! I wonder who took the DD-style trem-picked part?

Me too!

Stumbled across this one today, an interview with Billy filmed for The Wrecking Crew documentary.

-Damon.

I saw this one on Randy Nauert's facebook page - pretty cool I think.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Thanks for posting the clips. I bought a Billy Strange album at a used bookstore for.50 cents. I had no idea what it was; I just liked the cover!!

Goto Page: 1 2 Next