Shoutbox

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
278 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
271 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
232 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
165 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
165 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
152 days ago

dp: dude
133 days ago

Bango_Rilla: Shout Bananas!!
88 days ago

BillyBlastOff: See you kiddies at the Convention!
72 days ago

GDW: showman
23 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake September Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink 2012, Surf Guitar 101 Convention #5, Sat. Aug. 11th. reviews start on pg 14, pics n vids on pg 15, lots of pics by Tuck on page 20

Goto Page: Previous 1 213 14 15 16 1726 27 Next

This has been my 4th convention now. Every sunday morning after the convention I have a crazy type of hangover. Ears ringing. Head buzzing. Body aching a little. Hard to concentrate.

I call it post-reverb-overdose syndrome.

So, I'll be heading to the pier to get a little "Hair of the Dog", which will kill the hangover and bring back that beautiful euphoric buzz Cool

((Convention review and pics coming soon. ))

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012 09:57:29

From Tim (HBKahuna)

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Rumblers photo by Dave Becker

Rumblers

Exotics photo by James Wilsey:

Exotics

Intoxicators by Clint Beachwood:

Intoxicators

I drank about 3 gallons of water when I got home, it got a litttle warm in The Doll Hut. One more day of reverb, Let's Go Beach!

Hot Summer Comes Again!
Let's Go Beach! Let's Go Beach!

Well just got back to hell (Phoenix) it's 113 here wish I was at the pier.

The exOtics, last band of the day at the pier.....what a fun set.........(sorry,hard fOr me tO write On my phone)

www.surfintheeye.com

Back at work and wishing I was at the pier show instead - a killer time yesterday into this morning as always. Great to see old friends and meet new ones, too many amazing performances Saturday to list - roll on '13!

Brian wrote:

Exotics photo by James Wilsey

Wilsey showing up was awesome - would not complain at all if next year he's there onstage.

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

mom_surfing wrote:

The exOtics, last band of the day at the pier.....what a fun set.........(sorry,hard fOr me tO write On my phone)

Agreed, they smoked.

Radio Free Bakersfield--60 Minutes of TWANG, CRUNCH, OOMPH.
http://radiofreebakersfield.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Radio-Free-Bakersfield/172410279636
http://www.sandiegojoe.com/rfb.htm

The Madeira by Gary Evans.

Radio Free Bakersfield--60 Minutes of TWANG, CRUNCH, OOMPH.
http://radiofreebakersfield.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Radio-Free-Bakersfield/172410279636
http://www.sandiegojoe.com/rfb.htm

The Madeira were really on their game. The new material from the recent CD sounded great played live! How about Intruder Jeff!?

Paul

Another great event! Thanks so much Jeff, Kristena, Jon Paul, et al for putting this together. Jeff has this down to a science at this point! All the bands I saw were great. My biggest dissapointment is that I didn't get there in time to see The Intoxicators. El Ray really blew me away this weekend. Just an incredible band and some of the nicest people I've ever met in bandom. El Ray RULES!! I'm really looking forward to seeing Los Venturas again this Tuesday night at Bar Pink in San Diego.

It was great to see everybody again!!

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Had a great time at the Convention. Here's my clip of The Madeira playing Intruder.

So who won the raffles?
especially where did that strat go? Big Grin
cheers
LoeD

here comes the WEST SAMOA SURFER LEAGUE

The strat went to Mike from 9th Wave, couldn't have gone to a nicer guy.

There's lots of words inside me waiting to be typed but I think I'm going to need a few days to sit down or something.

Hot Summer Comes Again!
Let's Go Beach! Let's Go Beach!

I couldn't write enough words to describe my feelings about the SG101Con. I'm so happy I decided to go, even though I had to be back in the Bay Area for a Sunday afternoon gig– I'm so sorry I had to miss the Pier show.
Just some highlights, in no order--
Jon & The Nightriders reunion
The Los Venturas / El Ray tag team, what an awesome pairing
The rhythm section of the Exotics, incredible
The power of the Intoxicatiors
The Madeira are always incredible, but last Thursday's show at Forbidden Island with the focus on the melodic songs will be legend. And, they played my favorite DD song that night, "Taco Wagon"
The new kid in the Insect Surfers, very interesting, I look forward to seeing how that works out.
Mike Rosado and Scotty Peters winning the Fenders- perfect.
Seeing so many cool people. I was lucky to have a few real conversations, I'm sorry I only got to say "Hi" to so many others.
The joy of The Rumblers reunion brought a tear to my eye. When the drummer walked across the stage using a cane, then sat down and proceeded to KICK ASS! wow.
And, the guy at the Greek/Mexican joint who ends every sentence with "my friend". I have eaten there once a year for the past 4 years, and look forward to seeing him next August.
The members jam, always a highlight.
Next year- The Mystery Men and The Aqualads !!!!!!
And so much more. Well done, Jeff and all who helped put the show together.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Hey all, just registered with SG101 after attending this weekend's great gigs at the Starting Gate and the HB Pier. My cousin flew in two years ago and I went with him to the 2010 convention. Had a great time then but this year something clicked and I was just blown away by the bands. He flew in again and we had a hell of a time.
The Madiera's sand blown surf shred, The Exotic's International Export mystery music, El Ray's entertaining and energetic Americano fix (Cheese Cup, Justin Case; just a few of the classics), Los Ventura's Wah Wah Wah sunny psychedelia and European flavored surf, 9th Wave's mutli-instrumented 60's survey, The Intoxicators! Southern hoedown jammin' and The Dynotones OC atitude. Of course having some of the originals there for reunion jams is the icing on the cake! Those guys can still rock the lights out.
I don't yet know all the people responsible for putting this together but I do know that the Big Tiki Dude was one of the driving forces so thank you Sir! Thanks to everyone else involved and I'll definitely be there next year.

I really hope someone recorded most of this for the rest of us who couldn't come. I had a hunch that this wold be a ripper! Big Grin

Thanks guys for the show reports. Please keep the comments coming!

Goto Page: Previous 1 213 14 15 16 1726 27 Next