Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Need help With Teisco Type Wiring

Page 1 of 1

Hi:
I managed to acquire a "surf project guitar" locally. It's a 60's Gemtone guitar from Japan. The pickguard is completely chromed, when I got it the wiring from the pots were removed but it worked. I just purchased 2 pots, a B50k and a B100k. I assume the the 100 is the volume and the 50 is the tone? I know that what had been in there because the remains of them were in the bag when I got it. Now I want to wire it up. I know virtually nothing except that the ground is in the middle of the back of the pots. I also put the capacitor back the way I think it goes. SO, I have labelled this photo with RED letters. If anyone can tell what should go were, I will follow your instructions verbatum :}. Anything would be helpful.
Thanks
Tim

Hi,

You've got it right, the 100k should be the volume pot and the 50k the tone. I read that Teisco used a wide variety of pot values in their guitars though (100k/50k, 500k/500k, 100k/250k and many more).

Can you read a schematic ? I've found a generic Teisco one that looks like it could apply to your model too (except for pot values):

If you can't, I can try to help you, but I'm not very good at guitar wiring so it may take several tries Embarrassed In any case it will require a pic of the whole circuit (including the pickups and their wires).

Old punks never die... They just become surf rockers.

Hey, I am building up a Teisco axe from bare body and neck (mahogany! covered in black hand-rubbed lacquer!) and got a couple of big silver Teisco p'ups + a Strat p'up for the middle. I was unaware of odd pot values. Will normal 250k pots work alright with those pickups?
Also, for space consideration and keeping with the Teisco vibe, I am using a cluster of 3 DPDT mini sliders as p'up on/off switches. Can anyone provide a diagram of how best to wire them? Series? Parallel? Combo of the two?

Squink Out!

Congrats on finding a Gemtone guitar. A buddy of mine has been looking for one for years now. Hard to find..... Exclamation cigarboxnation has a Teisco lovers group that hasmemb3rs with a wealth of knowledge on it. Might want to check it out.

I am not obsolete, I am RETRO.... Cool

Thanks T-Fan. I will check cigarboxnation for a T-group.
Actually, my question is not T-specific, just about how to wire those Jag-type mini-slider switches. I have not yet seen a diagram of one or more used as pickup on/off switches. Dang Argh

Squink Out!

Last edited: Jun 06, 2014 20:46:32

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=jaguar

Might not be what your looking for but could be a good reference. Very Happy

I am not obsolete, I am RETRO.... Cool

Thanks, I overlooked that diagram. It may be helpful, showing another wiring of on/off switches.
I found this Binary Tree Diagram here (http://guitarnuts2.proboards.com/thread/5455/teisco-et-200-wiring)that should allow Series & Parallel with 2 DPDT switches. Don't ask me how it works. I will give it a shot – but will have to guess how a middle p'up is wired parallel to it. Looking at Fender Jag schematics should clarify it.

Squink Out!

Last edited: Jun 09, 2014 20:06:11

Page 1 of 1