Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
326 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
8 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink FENDER EXCELSIOR, new from NAAM

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

Thanks a lot for taking the time to explain!
Makes perfect sense to cut this frequency. Never thought about this before.

Cheers!

The Hicadoolas

Sounds like a good idea, to get rid of that 'nasty frequency' with midnasscut pedal (not cheap though) might try it first on a good 'borrowed' graphics equalizer first at 160hz point to gauge effect. Thanks for the tip and details.

'Surf Music Lasts Forever'

I got to play one a week or so back and came away with a positive impression. I ordered one so I must've liked it. Cool

It's not a powerhouse by any means but the clean headroom is pretty reasonable for its wattage and the sound is relatively clear. It's definitely a creature of the mid-range and even though it's fairly bright with the tone switch in the "Bright" position it is not at all a Blackface sound.

I'm not much of a tremolo user but have to say that the trem' sound from this amp was quite appealing to me. It fit well with the rest of the package and its late '50s vibe. In fact, that's really what I saw as perfect in this amp, think if the opening strains of the Everly Brothers' "Dream".

Will It Surf?

IMO, yes, albeit at a fairly modest volume. The mid-range strength of this amp reminds me of an early Surf era sound; something that would have been typical of the transition from '50s Instrumental Rock to '60s Surf. The 15" speaker seems to be an asset for this early surf sound.

There is plenty of room for improvement with this amp and the amp modding community is already hard at work in this regard. Bill Machrone, the Blues Jr guru already has some mods in mind starting with a kit to add a tone pot. There is no reverb but I would bet that a tank up front would sound pretty decent.

While I don't play in a band that does Surf music exclusively we do feature Surf and work hard to get that sound. I normally use Blackface Fenders, mostly because I can't afford the price of a good Showman but with the right amount of knob twiddling I can get a pretty decent sound, especially from my Twin with a single 15 in a closed back cab. But I have wanted an amp even smaller than my Deluxe Reverb, something that will be breaking a sweat at rehearsal volumes but not to the point of breakup. For a while I had considered a Pro Jr with a custom cabinet and a single 15" speaker but that's a lot of dinero to put into a very low end amp. I think that the Excelsior will do fine in this role with minimal modification, a tone knob and a footswitch for the trem.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

tubeswell wrote:

ebrobston wrote:

Tremolo is smooth, but wish it was footswitchable.

Probably an easy mod, if someone had a schematic handy for one of these (but you might want to wait 12 months so you don't void the warranty).

The other day I came across the schematic. So here is my suggestion for where to hookup a jack for a footswitch FWIW.

He who dies with the most tubes... wins

Surf Daddies

Got one of these today, cool little amp.

Thinking of trying to get more headroom out of it, what would you guys do to try and achieve that? New tubes? Higher wattage speaker? Thought maybe some 12AT7's in the preamp might help, or would that just make the amp cleaner but not as loud?

The Del-Vipers

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012 00:03:25

Rossmosis wrote:

Thinking of trying to get more headroom out of it, what would you guys do to try and achieve that? New tubes? Higher wattage speaker? Thought maybe some 12AT7's in the preamp might help, or would that just make the amp cleaner but not as loud?

I'd start with a 12AY7 in v1. You could put a 12AT7 in v2 but that would reduce the overall trem strength as well. A 5751 might be better in v2 (but that would also knock the trem strength down a bit. A 12AY7 in v1 would help clean up the signal and make it sound fatter and bluesier. But all of these options reduce the gain a wee bit.

Other than that, its tweaking the circuit. Converting the 6V6s to fixed-bias would clean it up a bit (but you would lose that characteristic compression that a Cathode-biased output stage gives).

Surf Daddies

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012 02:56:08

tubeswell wrote:

Rossmosis wrote:

I'd start with a 12AY7 in v1. You could put a 12AT7 in v2 but that would reduce the overall trem strength as well. A 5751 might be better in v2 (but that would also knock the trem strength down a bit. A 12AY7 in v1 would help clean up the signal and make it sound fatter and bluesier. But all of these options reduce the gain a wee bit.

Other than that, its tweaking the circuit. Converting the 6V6s to fixed-bias would clean it up a bit (but you would lose that characteristic compression that a Cathode-biased output stage gives).

Awesome, I'll try that 12AY7 method out. Would upgrading my power tubes to say, JJ-6V6's do much for the tone?

The Del-Vipers

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012 14:18:22

I love JJ6V6S and I use them in all my 6V6 amps. They are different from a conventional 6V6GT tho'. The plate structure of the JJ is more like a Russian 6P3S (which is a 6L6G equivalent) - big plates which can dissipate a lot of heat. The JJs are rated at 14W plate dissipation and can comfortably handle 450V on the plate (so they are excellent for Princeton Reverb or Deluxe Reverb amps). But I think the rating is conservative - and they could probably handle 16W! They have excellent bandwdith.

You may well notice a difference in tone, or headroom, altho' it might not be 'night and day'. You'd notice more headroom from going to a 12AY7 in V1

Surf Daddies

So I went ahead and stuck a NOS 12AT7 I had in the V1 spot and man what a difference it made! Sounds a hundred times better. Putting what it does to the tremolo aside, if I stuck another 12AT7 in the V2 spot would it effect the tone as much as the V1 spot did?

The Del-Vipers

V1 accounts for about 70-80 percent of the voicing of the pre-amp. V2 is the driver stage and PI in a PP amp, and accounts for about 5-10 percent of the tone, but directly influences the clipping in the output tube grids.

Surf Daddies

Thanks a ton for the input!

The Del-Vipers

I put a 5751 in V2 and the tremolo disappeared. Now I have a 5751 in V1, an EHX 12ax7 in V2, two 5991 output tubes, and a JBL D130F speaker. It is just loud enough for a coffee-shop show (with full, loud drums), but I'm afraid it will get lost in a larger venue without micing.

The JBL doubled the weight of the amp (the stock speaker almost floated away when I removed it), but it is much more portable than my 2x15 cabinet:) A perfect solution when you live in an upstairs apartment!

www.reverbnation.com/thehighfidelics

Oh, the first "mod" I did was removing the crossed swords emblem. I can easily see that breaking off the first time something bumps into it.

Awesome! I was wondering how a JBL would sound in there... Is the overall volume any different? Are the 13 watts enough to make the speaker sound pushed when you crank it? Did it help shape the amps tone away from bluesy to a little more surfy?

The Del-Vipers

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012 12:57:32

I used it for a small gig this past saturday, and plan to use it next weekend for the "mini surf fest" in birmingham and the surf fest in georgia. I hope Noah (kill baby kill) will give me his evaluation of the sound. I don't play trad; I like an amp that is overall clean with just a little grit to kick over into feedback when I need it, and this works great. The JBL definitely handles what the amp puts out, so there's no speaker overdrive. The 5751 reduces some of the gainy-ness, and the 5991s take the sound to a whole different level. But it still gets pretty distorted/overdriven when you put the volume up around 2 o'clock.

Will definitely be using this amp from here on in.

I was searching online for some mods for my Excelsior (tone pot mod) and stumbled on these two vids. Don't know if someone already shared them (didn't pop up on a quick forum search). It's not Dave Wronski playing, but it gives a good sound sample of what this little beast can do.

www.alohasluts.com
Aloha Sluts on BandCamp
www.arnyzona.com (my photography)
Aloha Fest on facebook

Last edited: Dec 05, 2012 10:09:45

Well' i'm not as technically proficeint as some of the other guys here but i know a good amp when i hear one. i'm running a t.rex reverb pedal into a boss tremolo then into a boss dd7 and then stereoed out to 2 excelsiors'. nice rig for the house for sure, maybe ok at a small small gig. mike 'em otherwise!
could be a good blues amp but we don't do that here. good mids and the 15 does push some air. i can see putting a JBL in it or even a jensen or eminence.
300 bucks, but you'll need a reverb of some sort for it. the trem is ok but needs an off/on setup.

it's cheap, sounds good for surf and as yet it hasn't blown up or blown out the windows. next test is to hear my son's reaction to it. Cool

Enjoying the surf,sun and sand!!

I play 50's jump/chicago blues and I found the Excelsior to sound quite impressive. I like 15" speakers and for $300 it's quite a steal. I compared it to a 60's Silvertone 1482 and thought the Excelsior sounded better. Roll back the guitar tone and there's ton of grease there AND plenty of brightness and presence for surf. For a new amp with PCB board it's quite good sounding at $300. I dug the stock speaker too.

Anyone able to find any clips of it in a band setting? Some of the surfing clips posted on you tube have me gassing nice and hard!

Get wet and loud wit... Abomionable Showmen FB Showmen Twitter

Somewhere there is a clip of Slacktone using a pair of them.

Either you surf, or you fight.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next