Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » SurfGuitar101 Website »

Permalink More Latest Forum Posts?

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

It seems like there is much activity in the forums and the "Latest Forum Posts" rolls over quicker than it use to. I wonder if it might be nice to increase the number of Latest Forum Posts on the Home Page from 10, to maybe 15 or 20?

Shoot the Pier on Bandcamp
Shoot the Pier on Reverb Nation
Shoot The Pier on Facebook
We are on Instagram under "@shootthepiersurfband"

My Country EP ... Florida Dirt Fire
https://floridadirtfire.bandcamp.com/album/florida-dirt-fire

My French Love Songs ... I really needed a change...
www.lonelyrose.bandcamp.com

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011 08:47:46

Please go here: http://surfguitar101.com/forums/

Then look at the pull-down menu that appears above all the forums on the upper right. Choose "show active topics" and you'll see the latest 30 topics.

You can even monkey with the URL to get it up to 50 (I think).

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

ahhhh.. thanks. But that's just too many steps (haha).

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011 09:11:14

Don't you rely on the "new" indicators? I use those and the "view unread posts" button far more often.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011 09:31:50

I do...I was joking.

Ah, ok. I genuinely want to know how people use the site.

If it helps, I'm set up to receive emails of any posts to a topic I've posted in; this lets me see any activity even if a topic has ages out past the last 50. Saves a lot of time.

Just to show I'm not really computer-literate anymore, what "new" indicator?

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

The word "New" appears in orange next to forums and topics that have unread posts in them. You have to be logged in for this to work.

I usually read every thread that has a new to it,
except the gear, for sale, and recording area.

If I have enough time that is.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

These days, I don't often go further than the Latest Forum Posts. I probably miss some things, but as I don't post often anyway, nobody probably cares that much. When I had more time, I'd go and use the unread indicators. If I think I need to answer for something I've written, I'll monitor the thread, but not with email.

On fora where I'm more active, I do more with figuring out what to catch up on.

For me, Latest Forum Posts works well.

I have my SG101 bookmark point directly to > surfguitar101.com/forums/unread/ .
I visit the homepage now and then, but any new news topic is already usually mentioned in some thread, so I really have not much use for the homepage. It's nice though Big Grin

I guess most people do enter from the homepage, that's the natural thing to do, and since the forum is where most of the action happens, it does make sense (IMHO) to extend the Latest Forum Posts list a bit.

But once you are in the forums, I just hit the "go" button next to "show topics with unread posts". Why would I go back to the home page?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011 13:49:01

Brian wrote:

But once you are in the forums, I just hit the "go"
button next to "show topics with unread posts". Why
would I go back to the home page?

I'm not sure what you mean or if this post refers to what I said,
but yeah, exactly - once you're in, no sense in returning to the homepage to check new posts.

But most people I guess start their SG101 session from the homepage, and it's 2 more clicks from there (not including login). It may not seem much, but in internet usability terms it is, since the forums are where most people are going anyway.
Also evident in this thread alone - 3 people don't bother, therefore might miss something that interests them. Laziness has nothing to do with it, it's about surfing habits.
Having 20 posts spread right before their eyes on the homepage is a good idea IMHO, and won't harm the homepage at all (scrolling is easier than clicking and loading and clicking and loading again Laughing ).

Another usability suggestion - have the login box (username/password) directly on the homepage. Maybe a popout from the login text where it's located now, or just a small box beneath it. No need for a special page here. Again - less clicks, more streamed experience.

I could never figure out why the log in page, didn't go strait to the Home page after logging in.
I don't need to see my personal info page.

Sometimes I go to the Home page to see if there is any new, news submissions, and sometimes I click on forums.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I've been meaning to streamline the login process, so I will make a note of the suggestions here.

I've always thought of the home page latest forum post list as a teaser to get people to come to the forums. Once you are in the forums, you'd use the tools that are on the forums page.

But I guess I see what you are saying. If someone is too lazy to click into the forums and do a "show unread" then making the list show the last 20 might help. Seems like kind of a reach.

I've set my bookmark on the "Show Unread" page so that's the first thing I see. If I'm not logged in it redirects me to the login page and after login bounces me right back to unread.

Bill S._______

HELLDIVER on Facebook

Did the "Latest Forum Posts" section on the home page shrink for a reason? Can we get it back to the way it was? That is an extremely convenient way to stay up-to-date on the most recent activity, especially on mobile devices.
Thanks!

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

JONPAUL wrote:

Did the "Latest Forum Posts" section on the home page shrink for a reason? Can we get it back to the way it was? That is an extremely convenient way to stay up-to-date on the most recent activity, especially on mobile devices.
Thanks!

• 1 on JP's comment

JONPAUL wrote:

Thanks!

Massive movie related spam attack this morning.

We got mega-spammed this morning. The list will grow back to its normal size as non-spammers post.

Here is a much better (IMHO) way to read the forums (show topics with unread posts):

http://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/21031/

Goto Page: 1 2 Next