Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink Just sharing a milestone in our lives.

Goto Page: Previous 1 212 13 14 15 1623 24 Next

Noel wrote:

I'm open to suggestions for the counter top.

I'd think a medium-dark wood of some kind would be a luxurious contrast to the colors you've chosen. Shaped to cater to a bar-top's function; short ledge on one side and slight upslope on the other edge, wipable & lets little things not roll off.

Easy on the bod... Cool

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

I vote for a shadow box top section that you can showcase guitars under with a clear lexan top.

One of my boat racing buds sawed a hydroplane in half and turned it into her bar. It was outrageous.

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Faux vintage surf board counter top.

The faux surfboard thing is very cool too (although might've been done quite a few times, just not where you are). I bet Carol would have some cool ideas for paint scheme & stickers to put under a clearcoat.
Smile

Wes

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Badger wrote:

The faux surfboard thing is very cool too (although might've been done quite a few times, just not where you are). I bet Carol would have some cool ideas for paint scheme & stickers to put under a clearcoat.
Smile

there's been quite a few surfboard shaped bars (google images) we've had a number of people in over the years who have done the sticker thing. the bar i've seen that i really like is the one in the purple orchid.

www.surfintheeye.com

I love all you guys! This room was supposed to be ready to use. But the consequences of sealing up the house air-tight fro three years meant we had to strip out all the wood and carpeting from the whole basement, walls, closets, and even some framing. It's all cleaned up, getting marine grade drywall and wood now. But the result is are we over budget.

I will definitely save the surfboard and glass-top ideas for later. I may put a surfboard over the bar as a roof, later. Right now, I'm just happy to have stock cabinets for the wet bar and a counter-top that looks tropical. The grass skirt in front will be nice, though. And cheap! Big Grin

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

This is it! Today starts the big push to trash, donate, pack, and stack everything that's left in the house. The movers show up this Monday, and tell us they'll be done in Pittsburgh sometime that Friday.

Things over the next five days will be something akin to herding cats. Very large, heavy cats. Repeat in reverse order for the following five days. Maybe we'll actually finish unpacking this time. Big Grin

Aloha Noel : seems everything is human racing these days. Looks like you need/want some very large boarder collies. Keep smiling. It's only a temporary hell. Just think of all the fun your having..... —

Don't Fear the Reverb ! Grateful Surf ! SURFIN' Tiki Bandits !
I can be reached through the following or at don@donschott.com. :

www.donschott.com
www.eyerecords.com
www.dontfearreverb.com
www.kokopellistages.com

We're never, never, never!
ever, never, ever, ever!
never, never, ever, ever!
never moving again!

I hope!

We actually had to drive all the way across Pennsylvania yesterday, to the old house and back, to retrieve something critical we forgot to bring with us. So we entirely lost yesterday to an accidental road trip.

Real life begins tomorrow. Let the rearranging and unpacking begin today!

If your project timeline has 'slipped' only a day, you're doing good my man.
Enjoy & relish the placement of things, doing it with 'things' that can't be replaced.

Best wishes and BE CAREFUL!!! Big Grin

Wes

Thanks, Wes! Time keeps on slipping...

As of this morning, Barb has a functioning work space (not in her office yet) and Corradina has a useable classroom. The WiFi and mini cell tower work. We even found some paper for the printer.

Everything will be fine, even if it's hidden behind a hundred boxes. Big Grin

We spent the weekend at the old house cleaning out moving trash, giving away lots of stuff we left behind because don't need it anymore, and filling our vans with the remains of our things to bring to our new house.

Corradina has been very emotional throughout the preparation leading up to the move, during, and after the move. She keeps asking us to tell her origin stories about how our family formed. She even started unpacking Henry's bedroom, crying, and told us she wanted his room ready so her brother could come home soon.

Our reaction to the move has been... different. A significant amount of promised help never arrived, so we were too overwhelmed to think about more than if we trash it, donate it, or box it, and how to get the job done. Then, after buying enough oil to heat the old house until we were well out of it, I discovered someone "borrowed" it during our week-long absence, so I had to turn off the furnace and water heater while we were there, and then drain all the water from the lines and water tank before we left yesterday.

Anyway, yesterday I caught myself looking at a "Welcome Home" drawing on the back door Corradina made to greet Henry when he came home on his first leave. And I stopped what I was doing.

The house was a lemon from the beginning. The first rainy day, water came squishing up through floorboards on both sides of a first floor room, where I could also see water running down the other wall. Yep! water was pouring into the basement, too. The builder went bankrupt because he couldn't cope with all his customer's lawsuits. We were told with utter seriousness to bulldoze the house, re-grade and repack the ground properly, and build a new house from a new foundation up. This was NOT covered by our insurance. So we never really enjoyed the house.

Then I saw Corradina's drawing. The house is still decorated with her drawings of us and Henry, that we decided to leave up until the last walk out. And I realized that, while it was a terrible house, it was a wonderful home. Suddenly, every birthday party, Christmas, Thanksgiving, sleepover, barbecue, family movie night, and hundreds of every other happy time flooded over and through me. And, for the first time, I was sad to leave it.

It's the only real home my children have ever really known. It's full of their happy memories, and ours, too. So I told Corradina that those happy memories don't stay in the old house; she will bring them with her to her new home, and they will always be with her, wherever she is. And with all of us. We filled it with all the love we had. I will also be sad this weekend when we turn over the keys. It was a wonderful home after all.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015 06:55:29

P.S. I have to give a huge shout-out to the first person brave enough to come over to play guitar with me, the first member of my musical project, Steve Cruz. Not only did he come over whenever he could to help pack, move boxes, and clean up, he brought his son, Nando. And I also owe a great big thank you to Randy, who wants to play surf music with me, who drove out from Pittsburgh to help me haul all my gear to the new house, and has been over to help move boxes and furniture. These two friends, one old and one new, saved me countless hours of hard work, or made possible efforts that were otherwise impossible. I owe them a huge debt of gratitude I don't know how to repay.

Happy Halloween! It's horrible, and late, but the garage is even more terrifying!

Noel wrote:

Happy Halloween! It's horrible, and late, but the garage is even more terrifying!

Don't fear the trash curb.

Da Vinci Flinglestein,
The quest for the Tone, the tone of the Quest

The Syndicate of Surf on YouTube

http://www.syndicateofsurf.com/

http://sharawaji.com/

http://surfrockradio.com/

-

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015 02:50:56

Noel wrote:

Heh, the first house I bought didn't have the garage nor the driveway poured until a few months after I moved in. So all the garage stuff was in the living room, on top of a couple layers of cardboard.

The second house, which we now live in, took about 5 years to finally have a look in every box. I could only play acoustically because for a year I couldn't find my cables. Turns out someone put that box upstairs. Didn't find my lapidary equipment for about 3 years. There's still a couple tools I can't place. But it's been a steady improvement.

My daughter doesn't remember the old house, and barely remembers the apartment we were in building this one. It's the only home her brother has ever had.

Dateline Pittsburgh, November 29, 2015.

We have a dining room. We still have to unpack boxes into the buffet, china cabinet, and desert cart, and we need to decorate the walls. This makes four rooms.

I mention this because I haven't played a guitar since mid-August. But soon, I can finish the music room and move everything into it. I think a plausible scenario is by the end of January. The worst case I can imagine is by the end of February.

I'm not sure which is more demoralizing - not being able to play guitar, or not being able to share everyone's experiences here. But we are getting back on track, and life should be back to normal eventually. I miss you all!

Here's the dining room.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015 09:26:36

Per riptide for a lost soul: (it was supposed to be prescription .. Spell check changed it but I liked it for a change)

1. Find at least one guitar
  2. Play it for at Least one hour per day to gain new insight , ease of conscience, and regain your soul in sonic therapy.

Doctors orders.

Congrats on the "settleing in" period. You have got your "get out of jail free" card.

Don't Fear the Reverb ! Grateful Surf ! SURFIN' Tiki Bandits !
I can be reached through the following or at don@donschott.com. :

www.donschott.com
www.eyerecords.com
www.dontfearreverb.com
www.kokopellistages.com

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015 09:54:39

DoNtFearTheReverbBass wrote:

Per riptide for a lost soul: (it was supposed to be prescription .. Spell check changed it but I liked it for a change)

1. Find at least one guitar
  2. Play it for at Least one hour per day to gain new insight , ease of conscience, and regain your soul in sonic therapy.

Doctors orders.

I will concur with my distinguished colleague's diagnosis and Rx plan. Yes

Dining room lookin' good; I can see you sitting there with an iPad thingy or something mixin'...
Cool

Wes

Goto Page: Previous 1 212 13 14 15 1623 24 Next