Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink The Madeira in Kentucky 2/26/11

Page 1 of 1

Just got home from seeing The Madeira at Mahogany's in Latonia, Kentucky. The drive home takes about 90 minutes and I'm still buzzed from the show. From Sandstorm they did the title track and Ricochet and a killer version of Rogue Wave where Ivan kicked his reverb unit so many times I thought springs were gonna come flying out of it. From Relics they did fantastic versions of The Treble Spanker's Dilmohammed, The Surf Coaster's Intruder and Dick Dale's The Victor. They did another great cover of Dick Dale's Night Rider. From Carpe Noctem they did Tangaroa, Undercurrents, Wreak Havoc! and supercharged versions of Surf Fidelis and The Saracen. They also played six new songs from their upcoming album which they said they'd start recording this summer. The songs (Devil's Tower, Cities of Gold, The Expedition, Giant, Arcadian Voyage and Witch Doctor) show a new, exciting approach to their songwriting and playing just as Carpe Noctem went in a new direction after Sandstorm. Great stuff. They said they have thirteen new songs and are going to write a fourteenth for the new CD. Hurry up and get the damn thing recorded already! An eager world awaits. Patrick said that his other band, Destination Earth, will be recording a new album and will be doing live shows. I saw them in Cincinnati several years ago and they were great. They had an incredibly full sound for a three piece band because of Patrick's ability to switch between lead and rhythm so fluidly. Everybody knows what a great guitarist Ivan is but seeing him play live takes your appreciation to a whole new level. He plays with such speed and power and yet his playing is always so melodic. He is wildly inventive but still remains true to the roots of the music that inspired him. Freakin' amazing. Todd's bass playing is the super glue that holds that band together and he was really ON Saturday night. His bass lines are so strong and memorable and the tone he gets has a really deep, powerful punch. The stage at Mahogany's is small so they had to put Dane's drums out in front. It made it easier to appreciate what an amazing musician he is. He plays with so much velocity and imagination and precision. It was great being able to watch him play since drummers usually toil in the shadows at the back of the stage. The AmpFibians opened for The Madeira last night and played a strong set of cool surf, spy and spaghetti. The Madeira will be playing with The Volcanos at The Beachland in Cleveland on April 30th. Thanks to Eric (sorry man, I don't know your last name) for booking that great double bill and for spearheading the movement to have Link Wray inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Check out inductlink.com and sign Eric's petition. Thanks also to Midwest Surf Guy and Don of Don't Fear the Reverb for booking Saturday night's show and bringing surf bands to Mahogany's on the last Saturday of every month. This part of the country ain't exactly Surf Central and everybody appreciates that you are giving surf bands a place to play and surf fans a place to listen. Sorry. I didn't mean to go on so long. Must be the coffee talkin'. Nicholai

Great write up, Nicholai! Sounds like another amazing show by The Madeira boys(shock!) Would be great to see some video of the night if anyone took any. If there's more than a song or two, maybe tie them in a YouTube playlist or something.

Great you got to hear so many cuts from the upcoming work/release. +1 for those eager for it to come out.

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Thanks for the write up! I too am really looking forward to the new album. Here is a video from almost a year ago of Witch Doctor.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Wow, thanks very much, Nick! I'll write more later (or tomorrow by the latest), but I thought I'd attach these two videos right now - the first two songs of our Saturday set - enjoy!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011 11:37:54

Hey! Those are great videos Headbang Thanks, Brian! Ivan!

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011 13:23:59

The madeira in Kentucky ... is mainly bourbon?

Page 1 of 1