Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Videos »

Permalink Dick & Jimmy Dale Balboa Show

Page 1 of 1

Some interesting interaction between father & son. This was in Balboa next to the beach last month. All in all an enjoyable show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvn-8_uO8fY

OMG

That is very embarassing, and somewhat disturbing... It comes off like Dick is completely dominating this poor kid and forcing him to basically be just like his dad - and what teenager wants THAT??? There may be a lot of psychological scars for many years to come here....

BTW, are my eyes deceiving me, or is Jimmy's right-hand Strat strung like his dad's, with the high E on top of the fretboard and the low E on the bottom? If so... YIKES!!!

Ivan

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Wowwwwwwww, that was just plain awkward to watch. Shocked

Ivan, it LOOKS like Jimmy's guitar is strung up with a standard setup.

God, imagine what would have happened if Jimmy's little kick had landed.

It's funny, part of why I get along with my pops is because we have such different interests. I can only imagine what might happen if he tried to push me into engineering in front of a capacity crowd... Rolling Eyes

~B~

all I can say is... poor kid. But he'll front a great punk band in a couple of years, be all Twisted Evil

WR

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

The strat was set up in the standard manner for a right handed player. The interaction between father & son was interesting to say the least. I'm not sure if it was part of the act or not. I'd be very curious to know.

if it's not an act, it must be very awkward for the rest of the band too. Confused

Rules to live by #314:

i thought that jimmy's karate-kid kicking was disrespectful...but, it seemed Dick's barking orders like a drill sergeant during the middle of "miserlou/pump it" is pretty disrespectful too...

it must be difficult growing up on-stage like that...especially during those early teen years. likewise, i bet it's difficult for Dick to have his son assert himself onstage...

hopefully, this is not the norm and simply one of those "rough days" during the teen raising experience.

Here is DD minus Jimmy working the crowd into a frenzy in Berlin a few weeks ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgS_hGX-Jz4

This is (one) of the Reasons why I don't pay to go see the dickster anymore. I don't wanna see him telling Jimmy how to play, and see the friction on stage. Most of the So Cal shows have Jimmy at them now, unless its at a club that is 21 and up.
Very akward to watch indeed.
Jimmy is getting better each time I do see him. But I just wanna see
Dick rip it up like he used to. But there is always to many pauses and
transitions, and medlys.

A frustrated DD fan,
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I don know... I think his strat had the high E on top!!!!

This is so wrong! wonder if Dick knows what this looks like on stage?

Sad

THe NEpTuNeS

Last edited: Nov 19, 2006 16:41:48

Yep, you guys are right regarding the stringing of Jimmy's Strat - it's standard. I watched the thing again, and what I thought was Jimmy playing on the high-E string when clearly on top of the fretboard, was actually Dick doubling him up on a high-E. But that doesn't really matter, there are still many issues here.....

Ivan

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

At one point I was a few feet from the stage. There is no doubt the low E was on top...

my son's only a year older than jimmy and i cringed as i watched this

www.surfintheeye.com

Dick is actually mocking the Black Eyed Peas song that used his sample.

Not that I am an expert at pr, but think of this, your song gets sampled by a HUGE hip hop act. Would you:

1. Take the check for the sample and mock the Hip-Hop act every time you play the song they sampled.

2. Take the check for the sample and mention it to your crowd as a positive proof that the youth of America connect with your music!

3. Talk to the hip-hop act about playing your sample live at each stop of the tour, thus exposing your music to a new audience and create major buzz.

Now perhaps Dick tried that, and the black eyed peas rejected the idea. Creating animosity, in which case mocking them would be understandable.

I have no idea how that deal went down. So I don't mean to imply anything. I was curious how others might react to that situation.
Your public image is important, and a lot of people in the spotlight forget how important it is, and end up jumping on oprah's couch and yelling at Matt Lauer.

THe NEpTuNeS

I'm pretty sure Dick is happy about the Black Eyed Peas thing. at least seems to me that way when he mentions it before he goes into miserlou live.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Regardless of what is going on with Dick and Jimmy, at least he is playing and not talking. The one time that I did see Dick Dale live, Jimmy was about four and banging on the drums. Dick was on his soapbox for more than half the show. In the immortal words of Frank Zappa, "Shut Up 'N' Play Yer Guitar!"

Vince
VINDAWOP PRODUCTIONS
559-274-2027
vindawop_productions@hotmail.com

bigtikidude
I'm pretty sure Dick is happy about the Black Eyed Peas thing. at least seems to me that way when he mentions it before he goes into miserlou live.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

yeah, it's with a lot of DD stage personnae, he seems to think his audience likes the act, so he does it..

there's a video on youtube of Dick Dale from a show couple of months ago, where he did the same routine. I saw him last week in Europe, the EXACT same routine as on that video, same words, same hand movements.

it's just an act.

Dick's acts don't seem to change much ove rthe years. yet the show I saw last week was very different form the show I saw two years ago (and much better too Cool )

WR

Rules to live by #314:

Page 1 of 1