Shoutbox

elbortobandito: surfybear trem power
294 days ago

BlindBlake: surf music discography
290 days ago

thewhipandthebody: It's MONDAY! Smile
288 days ago

2nanfer: Guys asking for help bc of quantine, 144 days ago. Uh-Oh
253 days ago

sysmalakian: Surf's up!
251 days ago

taku: sale
165 days ago

Skiltrip: SurfyBear is Life
158 days ago

sysmalakian: HEY
30 days ago

BearJW: Hey groovy people!!
29 days ago

ProfRadar: SurfyBear compact
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

7%

7%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Picks!!!

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 225 26 27 28 29

rfcii wrote:

What I settled on preferring, and note that I am not one to brag about my playing despite being chipping away at it for ~30 years, is the Prime-Grip/Prime-Tone line from Dunlop. I am still rotating through thicknesses, but I think I most enjoy the .8 - 1.0 range. I really like the grip texture on them, and they might be the picks which most improve my tremolo picking.

When I started playing I rotated through a few picks and found I usually use a Dunlop Tortex 0.73 mm. They can get a little slippery in my fingers, though.

Based on rfcii's review, I bought some Max-Grips (0.73 and 0.88 mm) and some 0.71 Prime-Grips. The 0.73 and 0.71 picks are more flexible than the Tortex 0.73, with Max-Grip 0.88 being about equally stiff as the Tortex.

All in all, I like the new picks--nice grippiness. I'm not sure which of the 0.73 or 0.88 I'll gravitate toward.

If I'd stop buying old guitars to fix, I might actually learn to play.
Bringing instruments back to life since 2013.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021 15:44:42

Always played Dunlop Tortex (various thickness) and love their feel, not slippery and just feel quality.

However… I recently started using classic Fender Medium tortoise shell style picks, and I’m torn. The Fender have more “plink” and are brighter, and give me more reverb drip and overall jangle. They are more slippery that the Dunlops however. So I like the tone of the Fender, but the feel of the Dunlop. Overall, tone wins in the end (for now) and everything else I try sounds dull. Always thought pick “tone” was BS and snake oil, but I really hear a difference in high end and such. In a band setting, I’m sure picks with grips are more realistic when sweating and concerned about dropping picks, and you’d likely never hear the tone difference. But at home, the Fenders really give me the sound I want to hear.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021 23:16:11

desert_surfer wrote:

Always played Dunlop Tortex (various thickness) and love their feel, not slippery and just feel quality.

However… I recently started using classic Fender Medium tortoise shell style picks, and I’m torn. The Fender have more “plink” and are brighter, and give me more reverb drip and overall jangle. They are more slippery that the Dunlops however. So I like the tone of the Fender, but the feel of the Dunlop. Overall, tone wins in the end (for now) and everything else I try sounds dull. Always thought pick “tone” was BS and snake oil, but I really hear a difference in high end and such. In a band setting, I’m sure picks with grips are more realistic when sweating and concerned about dropping picks, and you’d likely never hear the tone difference. But at home, the Fenders really give me the sound I want to hear.

They won’t break the bank, but aren’t cheap either:

Monster Grips. $10 for a pack of 16. They are little silicon stickers that stick right on the pick. They are one-use, but one is enough for one pick. They work incredibly well!

https://www.monstergrips.com/

Maybe use them only for shows or recording? Alternatively, you can go super DIY and cut grips in each side with a box cutter. That actually kind of almost sometimes possibly works!

Dan

Daniel Deathtide

DeathTide wrote:

Alternatively, you can go super DIY and cut grips in each side with a > box cutter. That actually kind of almost sometimes possibly works!

For slippery picks, I've had good luck taking a soldering iron with a pointed tip and making dozens of little craters in each side of the pick. Hold your breath!

If I'd stop buying old guitars to fix, I might actually learn to play.
Bringing instruments back to life since 2013.

I’ve also known people to just punch a hole through the celluloid picks for grip.

-Eric

New music!
https://thedesolatecoast.bandcamp.com/releases

Also:
https://theverb.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/theverbseattle/

I’m so glad I like the sound of those Cool picks juratex, they have that sandpaper dot on each side. Weirdly, I still drop them once in a while haha!

Daniel Deathtide

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021 17:29:11

For grip, my preference is a V-Pick, which adheres to your skin.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

synchro wrote:

For grip, my preference is a V-Pick, which adheres to your skin.

I tried to bond with those and spent hundreds on just a few picks. I found that they wear down about 1/3 as quickly, and I dropped them more than the Cool Picks. I like Vinnie and his company, but I guess I need the sandpaper!

Daniel Deathtide

Couldn’t someone just buy adhesive backed sandpaper to whatever grade they want, cut a little piece, and then apply it to their preferred pick?

-Eric

New music!
https://thedesolatecoast.bandcamp.com/releases

Also:
https://theverb.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/theverbseattle/

That’s not a bad idea! Cheaper than Monster Grips that’s for sure. Maybe like 600 - 800 grit. Maybe one day if Cool Picks goes belly up I’ll do that.

Daniel Deathtide

Goto Page: Previous 1 225 26 27 28 29
Top