Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Read Before Posting

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Do you really think you are the first person to ask about guitar strings, picks, reverb units, or effects pedals? Bzzzt... Cool

Please use the search feature to see if a similar thread exists before posting. Common and or useful threads will also be "stickied" (stuck to the top of this forum). Please review these before posting.

It is okay to revive dead threads if you have similar questions or comments, or new advice to share.

And please be on the lookout for threads that are candidates for "stickies". The "good" threads in this forum will float to the top as "stickies" with your help, making useful information easier to find.

Please help to make this forum a useful and (somewhat) organized place to find information. Thanks!

-The Mgmt.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Bump.

So Brian, flat wounds or round wounds? Laughing

Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

Got it. However, my search for what reverb pedal to use for that Pulp Fictiony sound has turned up over 142,000 topics! Too many to wade through. Can't you just tell real quick me and we'll get this over with?

SSIV

Yeah, it's pretty much hopeless searching for "reverb unit" or anything like that.

Oh good, I'm not the only one.

Lose the 9s Delbert

Please search first before creating a new thread. Please. Please. Please. Please. Seriously. Please.

Hyphens and dashes trip up the search engine we currently use. E.g. your best bet for searching FRV-1 is to use FRV as your search term. This is better anyway, as some people create topics with FRV1.

Brian wrote:

Hyphens and dashes trip up the search engine we currently use. E.g. your best bet for searching FRV-1 is to use FRV as your search term. This is better anyway, as some people create topics with FRV1.

A short notice to this effect directly on the search page could be useful

Old punks never die... They just become surf rockers.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012 17:31:20

Good idea.

Would it be worth it to put up a FAQ link with nothing inside but search results under various topics like BOSS FRV-1, Delay VS Reverb, Best Guitar for Surf, Best Amp for Surf, Echo VS Delay and so on. Members could do our own searches for common topics, and when we like the results, post the search under the appropriate topic inside the FAQ. Sort of like what I did when I ran the search Slinger was having trouble with. When someone clinks on the link, they see all the results.

If the FAQ was always on the front page, maybe in the left-hand column of links, new members could go there and run the canned searches we've created for them. It ought to cut way down on the repeated asking of the same gear questions by new members.

I'll even create the entries and refine the search results and post them there, to get it started, if you like.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012 19:48:17

Dead Reverb

Radio Free Bakersfield--60 Minutes of TWANG, CRUNCH, OOMPH.
http://radiofreebakersfield.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Radio-Free-Bakersfield/172410279636
http://www.sandiegojoe.com/rfb.htm

No, it wouldn't. That's too much work and fuss for a simple solution--people using their brains. Rather than enable ineptitude, shouldn't we encourage people to figure it out for themselves? Entering key words into a search window is not rocket science. I'm all for helping out and being kind, but this is getting ridiculous.

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

I'm so glad I don't need reverb for bass

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Thanks, Brian! Speaking of, what reverb pedal should I buy, anyway? Y'know, for that true-blue early Dick Dale or Tornados sound. Leaning towards the Verb-O-Stomp...opinions welcome!

SSIV

How about giving the search-box a unique place in the spotlight with a line like “Search (before asking)” attached?

The Exotic Guitar of Kahuna Kawentzmann

You can get the boy out of the Keynes era, but you can’t get the Keynes era out of the boy.

That's a good idea KK. I also think we should get our Wiki back up and running and we can put various FAQs on it.

Kawentzmann wrote:

How about giving the search-box a unique place in the spotlight with a line like “Search (before asking)” attached?

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

Just point the NEW THREAD button to the search page Big Razz

Simplest: have a referral to this thread, or a direct quote of the above, with the exact same line - "Read before posting!" at the top of the New Topic page, it should be there (it's a common practice).

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012 17:30:07

Goto Page: 1 2 Next