Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Dick Dale custom "surf burst" Jazzmaster?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3

Well... I don't know. But at the time, actual metal flake finishes like that were most likely done by a car shop, not at Fender. Fender sent out a lot of early guitars for custom finishes. I would not be surprised if they sent out a common sunburst for any ol' customer. Used in the movie? I dunno. A legit Fender Factory guitar? Perhaps.

But the use of a local car painter, that would lead me to believe that they had no clue about masking off certain areas. Someone at Fender may have just slapped on some tape and sent it out.

As for movie guitars, who knows. That's the fun mystery of it all. The group may have walked on the set and they were laying there for them. Fender did a lot of custom and regular guitars for movies. Elvis in Clambake, the Bye, Bye Birdie Jaguar and instruments. No one ever thought they'd be so desirable now. This rock music is just a fad anyway.

Bumped again. Found out on Bob Dalley's (The Surf Raiders) Facebook that Nick O'Malley passed away a couple days ago.

CaliforniaMaxx wrote:

Bumped again. Found out on Bob Dalley's (The Surf Raiders) Facebook that Nick O'Malley passed away a couple days ago.

Sad to hear - this should be a separate thread.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

websurfer wrote:

I wrote to Nick O'Malley directing him to this thread. Here are his comments:

_Hi Scott -

I got my JM in 1959 before I met DD (I met Dick in 1960). It had a sun burst. At DD's direction, my JM was painted light blue. I don't remember when it was painted. I still have it and still play it. And it is still light blue.

I had the JM cleaned up recently by Norm Cowell. Before Norm cleaned it, the sun burst was visible under the blue.

I hope this is helpful.

Nick

So, is it possible that this surfburst finish was done by adding a light blue paint layer over sunburst? That woul be cool to try.

http://noskons.bandcamp.com/

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015 12:58:59

Man, that sure looks great! Actually. I like it very much more than sunburst! Maybe it's enough to apply dark primer to the rim only?

One thing that I immediately noticed about this Jazzmaster was the extremely soft radius of the body's outside edges. Today's Fenders seem to have a noticeably sharper radius. One exception that I noticed recently is on page 22 of the latest Sweetwater Pro Gear catalog. It is a pix of the new "Postmodern" Strat and which seems to have very similar rounded edges. This give both guitars a more sleek and racy appearance. Both thumbs up!

Even I might be able to dig that Strat if it was available in a hard tail.

ed

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

The edge radius is also how my '59s and '60 are/were.

Sleek eh?

Smoooooooth...........

ya!

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

There were TWO Fender 1962 Jaguar guitars customized Black/Gold for use in the 1963 movie, Bye Bye Birdie. One was for promotional shots and appears in the main street scene where Conrad Birdie sings "Honestly Sincere." The second guitar was used in a couple of rehearsal scenes and an a stage scene, which can be seen falling to the floor during a fight. That slightly-damaged guitar eventually ended up in Hard Rock Cafe's collection. The near-mint first guitar was thought to be missing for decades. It has remained safely in private hands.

Hard Rock Cafe has a video demonstrating their BBB Jaguar here: https://www.facebook.com/hardrock/videos/10156175607293320

Last edited: Apr 04, 2023 16:07:50

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 15:48:06

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3