Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink My Surf Guitar w/GFS Surf 90's

Page 1 of 1

Following are the first pics of my first guitar project something I'm accomplishing with the advice of those here and members of the "Squier '51 Modders Site"

The body is a Korean-era, "VN" serial #, laminated hardwood (ply-body) Stratocaster that was orginally white. The body was sanded and one can of Krylon White Primer, two cans of Krylon Multi-Purpose Indoor/Outdoor Coral Mist and one can of Krylon Clear Gloss have been applied. I wet sanded after giving the paint/clear gloss a week to harden and followed with compounding and wax.

The pickguard is GFS (GuitarFetish) Brown Tortoise (though it appears "redder" than in person) as are the GFS Surf 90 pickups. Bridge/tremolo unit are stock Squier as are claw & springs. The neck was a Strat style bought off Ebay from seller "Paegense" and needed considerable sanding/shaping of the heel to fit the Strat neck pocket. Tuning machines are from GuitarPartsOnline.

I'm waiting on the additional electronics, two (2) 250K pots, .047 capacitors and three-way switch to arrive so I can complete assembly.

This pic amomngst all the others offers the truest color/shade representation og the Krylon Multi-Purpose Indoor/Outdoor Coral Isle Mist when using plain Krylon White Primer as a base.

Last edited: Aug 06, 2010 04:22:15

Tonight I filled the old pickguard screw holes with round toothpicks and wood glue which once dry I'll trim flush tomorrow. I also applied a custom decal that reads "Squier Surf Special", I'll spray Clear Gloss in the morning to protect it and install the matching GFS Brown Tortoise rear cover along with strap locks. The custom decal was provided by "Squier '51 Modders Site" (www.instituteofnoise.com) member "Geocha" who is a fantastic resource for custom decals.

Once the remaining electronics arrive I'll send the entire guitar out for soldering of pickups, three-way switch and input jack. Since I'm still having problems with both hands/fingers/wrists following an accident where I was struck by a car as a pedestrian I'm not as steady as I once was with a soldering iron. When complete I'll post additional photos and post my review of the GFS Surf 90's under the thread already present regarding them.

Love the color! Nice job. Those GFS Surf 90's sound really great for the price too.

Thank you for the compliments.

I made two mistakes, one was not filling the old pickguard holes PRIOR to painting. I didn't have the new pickguard yet so I wasn't sure whether it would align with the old holes. Another error was using Gorilla Glue instead of plain wood glue or Titebond. When the Gorilla Glue dries it expands so when I trimmed the round toothpicks flush the next day small round patches of paint came off surrounding the old hole. Thankfully they're hidden completely by the pickguard. Only two of the original pickguard mounting holes lined up with the new pickguard necessitating that I drill new mounting holes.

Following are the completed pics of my GFS Surf 90 equipped Squier II Stratocaster "laminated hardwood" body that has been repainted into Krylon Multi-Purpose Indoor/Outdoor Coral Isle Mist. It took one can of primer to cover the original red color which was sanded with 22 grit sandpaper to aid in aheshion of new primer, two cans of Coral Isle Mist and one can of Krylon Clear Gloss though one can use Krylon No/Low Odor clear as a substitute if you can find it.

The guitar might receive only one more alteration, that being the rounding of the squared of freatboard heel to give the guitar a more appropiate Fender appearance if done that will happen at next string change.

The above featured images are the best that I can achieve with my digital camera and exhibit the truest color match to the guitar when seen in person.

I'll post more detailed observations about the GFS Surf 90's under the thread already present referring to them as I'm beginning to play again slowly as therapy for the for the left wrist sugery needed after being struck by the car.

Great job!!! She sure looks sweet.
Makes me want to get out the sand paper...

How do you like those Surf 90's? I'm trying to choose between those and a set of Dream 90's.

"Maybe there aren't any surf bands; there's only surf music?" Tuck

Does that Surf 90 fit in to a standard humbucker slot?

"Yes" the GFS Surf 90's do fit the standard humbucker routing found in Fender/Squier guitars though you may have to enlarge the pickguard openings if it has the rounded "corners" as it's a tight fit.

As for tone, these Surf 90's are NOT high output but produce a terrific vintage tone, I don't know how else to describe them other then they're mellow and just what I was looking for.

Where compliments are concerned: Thank you very much. I haven't been online much since having surgery (7/22) to repair nerves damaged in my left wrist when struck by a car as a pedestrian so forgive me for the tardy reply to your inquiries.

Page 1 of 1