Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink The Truants??? Who??What?? Where?? When??

Page 1 of 1

Hi folks,

Does anyone know the history of the ground: The Truants??

I've searched the forum history, the web and all my surf LP's and I just can't find any info about this great band.

"Sunset Surf" has got to be one of the greatest surf 'ballads' ever written. I sounds like the band was drunk when they recorded it!!!!! Which I love!! Either that or they recorded it on a ship.

And 'The Truant" is another pearler!!!

Who are these guys?? Have they got a full-length LP???

Please help!

Cheers,
Mark

I ment to say "GROUP", not "Ground".......

If you can access Bob Dalley's "Surfin' Guitars," it has a chapter on The Truants. Also, John Blair's Crossfire Publications released "I Believe in Music: The History of Gross Prophet," a 2-cd set that includes tracks by and notes about Truants. Hope this helps.

waywardnile
Hi folks,

Does anyone know the history of the ground: The Truants??

I've searched the forum history, the web and all my surf LP's and I just can't find any info about this great band.

"Sunset Surf" has got to be one of the greatest surf 'ballads' ever written. I sounds like the band was drunk when they recorded it!!!!! Which I love!! Either that or they recorded it on a ship.

And 'The Truant" is another pearler!!!

Who are these guys?? Have they got a full-length LP???

Please help!

Cheers,
Mark

Those two tracks you've mentioned are from their 1963 single and was edited by Rock-It Discs. Both tracks came on the 4th volume of Lost Legends of Surf Guitar. Don't really know much more apart from that and that their hometown is called Redland.

Thanks Surftone & Fred,

I'll see if I can get my hands on Dalley's book.

The Truants were from Redlands,CA and were managed by La Radio personality Mark Denis. Mark was a lifelong buddy of mine.

They were Eddie Rea - Lead, Dick Zeiner - Rhythm, Larry Taylor - drums and Eddie Puchalski - Bass.

They only had one 45 release The Truant/Sunset Surf No LP.

They were quite popular in the area around Redlands and San Bernardino.

Page 1 of 1