Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink What do you know about Fender Supersonic amp?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

IvanP wrote:

Dalibor wrote:

IvanP wrote:

Frankie Blandino, the lead guitarist of the
Fathoms, only used
a vintage blackface TR for all his amazing Fathoms
recordings.

I think he used silverface twin. I think I
remembered
it correctly cause I was using it as a proof that
80%
of sound comes from guitar player and not the amp:)

Hmmm, you might be right. The Cossacks played with the
Fathoms on three occasions, and my memory is that he
used a blackface Twin Reverb all three times, not a
silverface - but my memory is far from 100% reliable!
He also used a reissue reverb, blonde with oxblood, I
do remember that. He actually had a footswitch for it
(wow, somebody that uses a reverb unit footswitch!) as
well as for the amp, and on some songs he'd switch the
unit off and turn on the onboard reverb, which
obviously wasn't nearly as wet.

Blackface or silverface I believe it is all in the hands of Frankie:)
As for PCB and new Fenders I would rather buy second hand silverface Fender than any of their new models. The last one I tried was 57 Twin. It costs 3000 EUR in Croatia. Sounded like somebody is breaking glass. Harsh and ugly. For this money you can have Victoria amp and 7 days holiday in Croatia:)

IvanP wrote:

Dalibor wrote:

BTW Supersonic 60 is a nice amp. I just don't think
it is reliable (PCB instead of point to point) but this
is true to most new Fender amps

Dalibor, I really don't think that's true of most
modern PCB amps. I think most amp manufacturers have
really refined this technology, and I very much doubt
that it creates any more problems than a handwired amp.

I'm sure Zak would disagree. And do you remember the hilarious post by Jon from the Necronomikids / Daikaiju?

http://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/9884/

ROTFL

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Oh yes, that's a nice post:) I would also like to see an idiot responsible for Jazzmaster with humbuckers. I really don't get it....

Still my all time favorite post on sg101

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011 14:58:48

It's funny that here we have a thread putting down PCB amps, while another thread at the same time is singing the praises of the '63 Vibroverb RI - a PCB amp! I believe Ferenc's amp has been quite reliable, as he's used it extensively for something like 15 years (I actually played through it the first time the Cossacks played with Pollo, in San Francisco in '98). And certainly we can agree that its sound is pretty damn good.

Folks, take a look at today's pro musicians - they're probably using a PCB amp. Most people don't take vintage - or boutique - amps on the road when they're touring for months at the time.

Dalibor, I totally agree about taking a silverface amp over a PCB amp, no question about it. all I was saying is that I think the PCB technology has gotten quite good. I know you've had some problems with your PCB Vox AC30, but as I told you, my experience has been quite different. I've had my PCB AC30 for seven years now, and haven't had a single problem with it. I also owned and used a '90s Fender Vibrasonic Custom for years, and never had a problem with it, either.

That's all.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

I used to have a lot of issues with my reissue Vibroverb when I first got it. Connections were breaking, etc. It seemed to have a problem every other month or so. I've owned mine for 17 years and it was on a 5 year or so hiatus until fairly recently. Since I started taking my amps to the great Tim Pinnel in San Diego, I haven't had a single issue. Besides the standard maintenance, he reinforced a lot of the connections himself and just bulletproofed it a bit. Fingers crossed....

I don't have any experience with Fender reissue amps after '94.

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011 15:40:22

I think the problem is when they solder the knobs and input jack directly onto the PCB board. That's asking for trouble, sooner or later. I know the Hot Rod Deluxes and DeVilles suffer from that problem and is a common complaint. I don't know how widespread an issue that is, or if the Supersonic even has that problem.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

I do believe that quality control has improved quite a bit at Fender, but that's just from anecdotal evidence. But vintage amps also had cold solders when they were first sold and needed maintanence. It's just the nature of mass production. And BTW, that guy above that wrote a letter to Fender, well, he's bitching about a budget amp - you spend little money, you get a shoddy product. That's pretty much the case with everything. I'm talking about Fender's pro amps, their reissue series and all the other top stuff. I don't really count the Hot Rod amps in that category - I think of those as semi-pro stuff.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Budget amp or pro amp. This is what I don't get it. It must be some weird management thing. You do budget amp and then you put "Made in Mexico" as an excuse for fucked up amp. At the same time so called "pro amps" sound nowhere near the old Fenders. Why constant reissues? Why 5 models of Jazzmaster? There should be one. Why mexican, japanese, american? How about one that works?

I think you are missing the point of the American corporate mission Dalibor. This isn't papa Leo's family business anymore. You have to have a new product every quarter for the stock holders. This isn't about the tried and true old customers. This is about spreading the brand into new markets. Hats, Shirts, and Jeans? And that means there will be a lot more versions of Jaguars and Jazzmasters with different pickups in enough configurations that not a single Guitar Center employee will know how to explain any of them. Don't worry most of them will end up in teenagers closets in nice neighborhoods and will never see the resale market leaving the supply and demand chain for Fender safe as milk.

I understand this corporate bullshit but I'm trying not to accept it as normal:) Ever since I saw "relic" series of guitars. I can't imagine that there are people buying that.

I can't wait till those kids who bought them clean out there closets when they go to college and i find them cheap for parts! A lot of budget guys will try to salvage what they can for home builds.

Dalibor wrote:

I understand this corporate bullshit but I'm trying not
to accept it as normal:) Ever since I saw "relic"
series of guitars. I can't imagine that there are
people buying that.

Well, Dalibor, I have two perspectives on this, one as an economist, another as a musician - and they actually fit together quite well. First of all, I really get specially irked when people put down a company for being a 'corporation', like all the evils of the world are concentrated in corporations. Let's take a look at one fact, shall we? Fender was a much bigger corporation (at least part of one) under CBS ownership - and how did it do? They totally screwed up the company, and Fender was almost liguidated, close to disappearing altogether. So, corporations don't have the power to sell shit that people don't want - if they do, none of them would ever go out of business, and many of them do, all the time. Like all companies in a market economy, if they want to be successful they have to produce what people want. As far as I know, Fender has been highly successful for the past two decades or so, so they seem to be doing the right thing from the perspective of their customers.

Now, who are the customers? Well, there are many different people, ranging from pro and semi-pro musicians that have been playing for decades all the way down to beginners. Fender tries to cater to all of them, including most of us here (including you, Dalibor, with your MIJ Jazzmaster, right?) who have bought their products from the post-CBS era. Judging from the posts on SG101, most of us are very happy with them. I have four US-made Fender guitars, all made between '87 and '97, and love 'em, I really do. They're phenomenal instruments. I've played multiple '50s and '60s Strats, and I thought my Strats were as good or even better. But of course, then you get the bedroom players and kids who want to make some noise, but have no clue what good tone is - AND don't want to spend a lot of money. Can you sell them a handwired 10W amp with one channel for $1000 (which is around how much it costs to make a good amp)? No way.

Here's a recent story. I have a friend, we've known each other for 25 years, a REALLY smart guy (valedictorian of his college class!), and a guitar player who likes to muck about, nothing very serious. He contacted me last Fall, and said he's thinking of buying a new amp (he had a piece of shit mid-'80s Crate), and what I would recommend. So, I do some research. He's got two kids and a wife, and not a huge house. He doesn't plan to play in a band, so no need to have a powerful amp. He also wants an amp that gives him a lot of distortion, so he can play metal but also wants flexibility. So, I come up with what I think is a perfect amp for him: an Egnator Tweaker. All-tube amp, everybody says it sounds like heaven, very flexible, low-wattage. I tell him about it, and a few weeks later hear from him. What did he buy? A Peavey Vypyr 100 solid state modeling amp. Doh!! Here's what he said about it:

"At half the price, with all those effects and amp models built right in, the Peavey was a value proposition that worked for me. It really delivers over-the-top, balls-to-the-wall gain profiles on the dirty models, at relatively low volumes. I got the 100w 212, which plays great at low volumes. It even has a power-soaker feature that helps a little in that regard. I think I comprehend that what I'm hearing is all emulated, pretty well void of tubish goodness. The clean models (Fender Twin, "AC30" clone, and some others) are completely sufficient for me, although they are miles from the real deals, admittedly, in tone. It has a direct USB out with what amounts to a built-in interface, so that will be cool for fiddling with Garage Band on my Macs. At$379, I figured, heck, what have I got to lose. If I get more serious in the future, I may move up to something tighter. The day I was in the store, I honestly couldn't hear a heck of a lot of difference between the tubes and transistors. Alas, what that says about my ears! Let alone my sensibilities."

Smile Well, at least he understands his limitations. But the point is, let's say Fender was purist and only made great sounding, handwired tube amps. How many of those would they sell, when you take into account that almost certainly the majority of the market is the people like my friend above? They don't want 'tone' - they want cool features! I'm sure if any of us play that amp, we'd absolutely hate it, but that's not how he's thinking. Fender HAS to make the amps it does in order to stay in business. If they're not making a profit, they're making a loss, and once they're making a loss, they're on their way out. And the only way they can make a profit is by producing the stuff that people want to buy. Why is it so hard for people to understand that?? I really don't get it.

As far as the different kinds of Jazzmasters, this is something that goes back to Leo and Don Randall. I read several books on early Fender, and Randall was always pushing Fender to expand their line and to offer instruments at many price points. Leo wanted to just have a single guitar, and wanted to discontinue the Tele when the Strat was introduced, and the Strat when the Jazzmaster was produced, etc. Randall talked him out of that, and asked him to develp the Duo-Sonic and the students instruments, a step-up instrument in the form of a Mustang (a Duo-Sonic with a tremolo), etc. The fact is that the majority of people interested in offsets are interested in them because they play punk or alternative music, and humbuckers will work much better for them - they want to be like Kurt Cobain, not Bob Bogle! But why do you care that Fender offers offsets with humbuckers? They also offer super-accurate replicas of vintage offsets (and some in between). If they only offered humbucker-equipped offsets, then you'd have a point. But who cares if they also make stuff that doesn't appeal to you?

It's easy to tear down businesses - which in the end provide products that we all get a lot of enjoyment from AND provide jobs and incomes for hundreds if not thousands of people (including Dave Wronski, may I remind you). But hey, the great thing about the market economy, especially a global one is, if you think you can do it better, then do it! Don't forget that when Fender was bought from CBS in '85 it had to be rebuilt almost completely from the ground up. It was a tiny company at the time. Success was far from guaranteed. Instead, it was earned through wise entrepreneurial decisions of the Fender leadership, and I for one think we're all better for it.

OK, off my soapbox now. Sorry for the length.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011 19:18:29

Ivan,

That may be the best post I've ever read on an internet forum.

Kudos.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

WoodyJ wrote:

Ivan,

That may be the best post I've ever read on an internet
forum.

Kudos.

I'm inclined to agree... well said!

Thanks, guys. Just doing my economist bit.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

But why do you care that Fender offers
offsets with humbuckers? They also offer
super-accurate replicas of vintage offsets (and some in
between). If they only offered humbucker-equipped
offsets, then you'd have a point. But who cares if
they also make stuff that doesn't appeal to you?

None of their Jazzmasters are even close to Jazzmasters from 70s. I'm not even going to mention 60s Jazzmasters. MIJ, MIM or Made in USA they are not good. What about 30 or so models of Stratocasters?:)
I didn't want to discuss economy but I see your point and I agree with you. I just wanted to say that their "pro" line is not pro. If you want professional instrument or amp buy vintage or go somewhere else

Oh yes about my Made in Japan Jazzmaster let me remind you that in 1995. there was no Made in USA Jazzmaster.

IvanP wrote:

Thanks, guys. Just doing my economist bit.

And very well at that. Enjoyed the very well written perspective, Ivan - especially the point that even "corporations" fail when product/service doesn't meet customer demand. So true.

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Dalibor wrote:

I'm not even going to mention 60s
Jazzmasters. MIJ, MIM or Made in USA they are not good.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but that statement is beyond ludicrous.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next