Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink “Let’s Go Trippin” – Dot Records (VA – ACE Records)

Page 1 of 1

“Let’s Go Trippin” – Dot Records, Classic Tracks From the Surf & Hot Rod Era (VA – ACE Records)

For some time now, I have been amazed by the quality of Dot records bands on the late fifties and early sixties, and I’ve became a fan of this label. I can say that from Phantom’s “Love Me” and Jimmy Dee’s “Henrietta” to Surfaris “Wipe Out”, Rumblers “Boss” and Chantays “Pipeline”, Dot records had released for broad distribution some of my favorite songs. I say for larger distribution because, for example, the Surfaris “Wipe Out” had been previously released by Princess while Rumblers and the Chantays had been previously released by Downey.
My passion for Surf Music and Dot records, combined with my satisfaction for other ACE’s compilations lead me to buy this Cd. Although I consider it a great compilation of songs, I feel a bit disappointed as I consider that this compilation focus more on Dot’s mainstream Surf & Hot Rod (Surfaris, Chantays, Rumblers, Pat Boone, Gary Usher & the Usherettes, Competitors, Beachcombers, etc.), failing to deliver more obscures singles from this era such as the Scarlet’s “Stampede”, the Progressives “Hot Cinders” b/w “Man of Mistery”, Kenny & the Fiends “Moon Shot”, amongst others.
It’s now time to refer that the comp achieve a good balance between vocal and instrumental songs, but once again I feel it’s missing something – in this case I’ll refer to Rumblers “I Don’t Need You No More”, the flipside of “Boss” and which is the wildest stroller song I’ve ever heard, probably the wildest ever done by someone. Talking about vocals, the Little Deuce Couple version by the Competitors on this Cd is just terrible.
Suppose the liner notes on the booklet of this Cd are only good enough for this compilation, and therefore, also fail to give t information on the more obscure releases by Dot.
Overall, I consider this Cd one good introduction to Dot Records Surf & Hot Rod stuff, but it’s definitely not the ultimate collection of Surf & Hot Rod of this label. Is there any 2nd volume of this compilation, or even maybe one of those deluxe editions with an extra Cd filled with obscure stuff?

Page 1 of 1