Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Rare West Coast Surf Instrumentals (ACE Records)

Page 1 of 1

Either you are new to Surf Music, already one lover of the genre, or even one record collector, some Surf compilations can be one good investment for your money as an induction to approach the genre, deep your knowledge or even do some research about the original records released during that era. ACE Records have been doing a brilliant job with their compilations, achieving a great balance between quite popular songs, reasonable familiar tunes to fans and lovers of the genre and obscure themes and presenting all that with a great sounds and great Cd booklets full of liner notes and information about the songs. Both volumes of Birth of Surf are a great example of what I’m saying.

The CD’s are structured in some fashion that introduces some influential songs/ artists for the birth of the genre, other themes directly responsible for the spread of the genre popularity and some obscure themes. All this with enough accurate information to fulfill the record collectors deep needs. On Rare West Coast Surf Instrumentals, ACE Records introduce the History of Titan Records – a small but quite influential label that was amongst others responsible for the release of some songs such as “Caterpillar Crawl” by the Strangers, or “Paradise Cove” by the Surfmen, as long as the Davie Allan’s first single “War Path” b/w “Beyond Blue” on its subsidiary MARC.

The CD presents the singles released by the label of the following bands: The Strangers, the Surfmen, The Storms, The Lancasters, The Playboys, Gary Usher, and Davie Allan.

Starting by the oldest band of the label, the Strangers are probably more one transition band from rock’n’roll to Surf than an actually Surf band. However, they were one quite influential band that gave us some great songs Rockin Rebel, Caterpillar Crawl, Dance of the Ants and Hill Stomp (although I have my doubts the latter can be considered Surf Music, I would rather call it blues or rock’n’roll instrumental stomp). Some of these songs were later covered by popular surf like Caterpillar Crawl by the Lively Ones, just to give one example.

Surfmen are a great sax driven surf band with one sax that can remind me of the Champs sometimes and have some great songs such El Toro and Paradise Cove, where for me they are at their best. Personally, I find their ballad Malibu Run very poor and usually jump over that song.

Jody Reynolds’ The Storms featuring Al Casey on guitar introduce us two great songs before they produce another single for Sundown.

The Lancasters were the name attributed by the label to the band that recorded with Kim Fowley, in London – UK, a couple of tunes: Earthshaker and Satan’s Holidays. Both of them are quite interesting, even though the band never really existed apart from the studio session.

The Playboys have some Surf jazzy tone on their two tunes that it’s not exactly what I’m looking for when I listen to Surf Music, even though the arrangements and the rhythms are quite interesting and is another proof that usually surf musicians tend to think outside the box. As a curiosity, according to the line notes of the Cd booklet, one of the band’s members was the son of the actor Jerry Lewis.

Another two compositions that are not exactly my cup of tea are the 2 vocal tracks by Gary Usher, which tend to consider quite poor vocals.

Finally, we arrive to Davie Allan. Always thought Davie Allan is one hell of a surf influenced guitar player, however the fuzz effect on his guitar can put me slightly off at odd times. The two songs War Path and Beyond Blue released by Titan subsidiary MARC were Davie Allan’s first single on his phase pre-fuzz with one beautiful reverberated guitar sound and it’s now my favorite Davie Allan single.

In my opinion, this is one great compilation for anyone keen to Surf Music that pretends to achieve a greater knowledge of the genre.

Thanks for the Review Fred.
I have had that cd for a long time,
but after reading that,
it makes me want to find it, and play it again.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude
Thanks for the Review Fred.
I have had that cd for a long time,
but after reading that,
it makes me want to find it, and play it again.

Great bigtikidude, thank you very much for the positive feedback. It already worth to write it down!
Cheers&Beers,
Fred

Page 1 of 1