Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Suggestion Box »

Permalink Embed Video in Forum Posts

Page 1 of 1

I may have missed the topic being discussed earlier - so apologies if this is a duplicate; I'm a big fan of the way the News Articles support embedded video right in the post.

Eg: Ewa on the Beach Guitar Lesson
http://surfguitar101.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=539&mode=&order=0&thold=0

It'd be great to see this feature as one of the HTML tags for dummies buttons on Forum posts.

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

The initial connection would probably cause slowdown, well, i'm no expert but that's the way it seems with other sites i visit.
The site so darn quick even thousands of miles away.

You can't just let anyone post arbitrary <object> or flash into a forum post, as that opens a security hole. If I can find something that will allow by white-list embed codes from sites like YouTube then perhaps I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.

BTW, only admins can can embed vids in news stories.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian
You can't just let anyone post arbitrary <object> or flash into a forum post, as that opens a security hole. If I can find something that will allow by white-list embed codes from sites like YouTube then perhaps I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.

BTW, only admins can can embed vids in news stories.

Makes total sense. Come to think of it, where I have seen this before, I think it only supported YouTube. Thanks for considering, Brian!

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

This may be what I am looking for!

http://www.oembed.com/

Oooohhh! How sweet would that be! Good find, Brian!

Would love to see that capability in forums (assuming it really works as advertised, allowing security/filtering for URL types and whatnot)

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

So in theory I just have to scan a user's post and look for links to YouTube, Vimeo, etc. If found, send a GET request to the hosting site (YouTube), get back the embed codes, and replace the link with it.

I'd do this only once, perhaps when the post is saved or previewed. There is some concern on how long this takes. I might have to do it outside the request/response cycle.

Brian: From the Administration Control Panel>Posting>BBCodes you will have to make a new BBCode tag. It is not hard

Here is one possible syntax for a tag that I made: the three fields shown below are >BBCode usage, >HTML replacement, and >help line

The only trick is the the user will have to enter the URL of the video without any other nonsense. This is the URL generated by the "share" button on YouTube.

FYI you can make all sorts of crazy BBCodes. Private ones are fun; try it out with an obfuscated BBCode name, and with the tag not visible on posts.

SSIV

Thanks for the tip Trey!

Edit: This software is too old and doesn't seem to support that. But I can make it work for 2.0.

Brian: Yes, I am running 3.0.7-PL1. I would update anyway just to keep on top of the exploits.

SSIV

Unfortunately this site isn't running a pure version of phpBB and can't be easily upgraded to 3.0. That's part of the reason for SG101 2.0.

This has been resolved with SG101 2.0.

Page 1 of 1