Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Recording Corner »

Permalink The TakeOffs recording an album!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

If the TakeOffs go to three guitars I <u>WILL</u> move to Kauai to compete
for the possition............and surf.
Nice journal Ron........ (what am I supposed to say, I want that job). Can't wait to hear the finished product. The pictures are great too. <u>ESPECIALLY</u> that one of you... (I want that job bad) Any idea when the completion date will be for the record ?

Rick

OK. My new mantra...
Must move to Kauai. Must move to Kauai. Must move to Kauai. Must move to Kauai. Must move to Kauai. Must move to Kauai. Must move to Kauai. Must move to Kauai. Must move to Kauai. Must move to Kauai. Must move to Kauai. Must move to Kauai.

CUTBACK

Surfgitar
OK. My new mantra...
Must move to Kauai. Must move to Kauai. Must move to Kauai. Must move to Kauai. Must move to Kauai. Must move to Kauai. Must move to Kauai. Must move to Kauai. Must move to Kauai. Must move to Kauai. Must move to Kauai. Must move to Kauai.

Don't listen to him Ron, I'm your brother!! ....remember that time mom got us all candy bars and I gave you half of mine?? DO YOU??!!! Mad ..:lol:

Rick

Avila-John Blair's book has a photo of the Sentinels and another SLO area band posing on this pier. It has a rich surf music history.

Hey Doug!! Great pics of the pier....we spent many an afternoon right on that pier!! Our brother Bob used to go out on the fishing boats and catch Halibut....they'd be out there for days!! I got busted for smoking pot in that town...i was 16!! Spent two weeks in a felony tank with some roughnecks!! Mom had to come up from San Diego and get me out!! On the bus heading back to SD she asked what it was like to smoke pot!! I didn't smoke anything for several weeks after that!! Awwww the memories....what a life i was having. Rick...i remember that candy bar so...the job is yours...unless surguitar gets here first!!

The TakeOffs
"Kauai's Only All-Instrumental Surf Band"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-TakeOffs/312866840587

Ron-Rhoades
Rick...i remember that candy bar so...the job is yours...unless surguitar gets here first!!

Hey, doesn't this haole get any points for knowing how to eat like an islander? I actually got through half of this spam roll. Laughing

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

Morph...yeah, you get a couple points....OFF!!....for calling that musubi a "spam roll"....looks mighty tasty too! Spam wrapped in sticky rice and seaweed....and a nice piece of ahi? You'd be a "local" in a couple weeks!! If guys at the beach saw you eating this stuff they might even let you catch ONE wave!!

The TakeOffs

Ron, just wondering if you ever see Todd Rundgren running around the island? Thats the guy I'd tap into for some recording tips.

Surfgitar....since when?

www.cutbacksurfband.com

surfgitar....since when?
I love that

Rick

surfer
Surfgitar....since when?

Since Tuesday. Wanna make it a joint move? We'll form a side band with Todd & Ron. Laughing

CUTBACK

Surfer...yes, we see him around...there's lots of celebs here....they come here not only for the beauty of the place but for privacy as well....it doesn't matter who you are...it's WHAT you are inside....we could never afford a guy like that to produce our record....he did the New York Dolls record here and he rented a friend's reverb tank for that project so he's ok with us!!
For anybody that's moving over here this week to be the 3rd guitarist in The TO's...rehearsal is Thursday at 3pm!

The TakeOffs

Ron, I suggested recording "tips", he's a real approachable guy. Looking forward to hearing your recording, we might get one done this year if surfgitar doesn't move into your spear bedroom. I could make it by 5:00

www.cutbacksurfband.com

OK, where was i.....well, we've had a few setbacks with the obsolete digital gear we're using for this project...a Mackie HDR 24/96...of course we would have prefered an analog setup but we don't have "day" jobs and couldn't afford it so we had to go digital...the first overdub session with Bill came to a crashing halt when out of nowhere the machine just stopped and declared an "error43"...."call a Mackie Technician"...."wait a minute here" i'm thinking...."it can't just stop in the middle of a take and that's it....can it?" So we tried everything we could think of to get it going again...got out the 1,500 page manual...!@#@!$#%!@....couldn't find ANY reference to an error 43...shut the thing down, waited a bit and fired it back up....error 43...i mean we're all there....Bill was in the middle of one of the songs....UUGGHH...i said to Conrad "i don't think we can get the vibe back even if it starts working again" he said he thought we could if we just took a break and re-grouped but the machine never came back and it was too late in the day to call a Mackie tech, so the session was over after several hours of troubleshooting. I asked John if he was gonna call Mackie in the morning and he said yeah so we left it at that and went home.
When i got home i got on the computer and did a search for Mackie "error43" and came up with a few vague responces on a forum somewhere...not much help....! The next morning i call John and ask if he called Mackie..."no, i just pulled the power cable from the wall and then plugged it back in and it works fine now"....i'm thinking it's NEVER a good thing to just unplug a digital machine like that while it's stuck in an error of some kind....but he did and it's his recorder so...we scheduled another OD session for Bill. We all got there...Bill sets up and we dialed in a starting tone and went to the first song we needed to work on....we're cruising along doing different takes and getting comfortable when i notice there was no snare track....the track was there but didn't have any information on it...it was blank...i'm engineering all these sessions so i ask John to take a look at this....of course i'm like "where's the snare track?" He says "i don't know, i didn't do anything" I grill him about how he pulled the plug that morning and what happened exactly which led to several more hours of troubleshooting and trying to find that snare track....one thing about digital recorders is, you can almost always go back and "undue" something...none of us deleted the track so it had to be in the recorder somewhere....during this troubleshooting process Bill's like "i'm out of here"!!! I understand that attitude....we're not recording our record anymore...we're trying to understand this digital recorder and figure out how to use it and recover tracks and....enough already!! The session came to an end...i said to John that he should of called Mackie before just unplugging the thing and it was real frustrating....i went thru ALL of the songs to confirm the snare was missing on the entire project...horrifying...before Dennis went back to the mainland, he had made a "safety" copy/disk so he could begin doing overdubs over there while we finished up here....turns out he couldn't use the copy over there because it would only work with Mackie equipment which he didn't have, so he just parked it....we called him to send us his copy which would have the snare track and the project would be saved but....i would have to do all my OD's again, the bass re-do's and everything we did after Dennis left....i'll tell you i was bummed!! I had spent 7 hours doing OD's and i was disapointed to say the least...i was trying to remain positive..."yeah, sure i'll just do them again" but inside i was....!@#!%@#! Ha! A couple weeks later we get Dennis' copy and i arrange with John to come over and just troublshoot and see what we had and how to procede. Befor i went i called Mackie and waited 20 minutes to talk to a tech who basically cut me off saying "those recorders are obsolete and we don't service them anymore" he refered me to a website with a forum...he wouldn't even listen to me!! When i got to John's i started by trying to "find" the missing snare from our copy...there's actually two...an internal copy which is the "master" and the disk which is an external copy....i started with John's disk cause it had all the work i had done already and i knew that snare track had to be in there somewhere....nothing! couldn't find it and after an hour and a half we put Dennis' copy in there and....NOTHING!! There was nothing on his disk....took it out and tried again...nothing...still had the internal version but no external copy...i just about cried..."that's the end of this project"....wow, what a bummer....i even thought, out of desperation, that maybe we could "tweek" the hi hat track which had some snare on it and....nah, can't do that...it's over. I sat there for awhile...refusing to give up...went back to Dennis' copy...nothing...went back to John's copy and i'm sitting there looking at the snare track and trying to figure out how to get inside the thing...it's just a "file" and has to be in there...i start soloing the track and noticed the number "4" in the "take" collum where as the rest of the tracks had the number "1"...i clicked on the take file and found the snare had been moved to take 4 which had nothing on it...there was no take 4....so i clicked on take 1 and there it was....we found the missing snare track and all was saved....i called my psychiatrist right away!! ha ha!....it took me/us about two and a half hours to find it...NEVER GIVE UP!! On each track there is the option of having up to 8 "takes"...i guess so you could do a bunch of takes and comp them to make one good one or something like that...heck i don't know...but that's where it was..on take 4...don't know how it got there...doesn't matter at this point!!
So, last night...well, yesterday actually...Bill and i met at John's to do those OD's...John had a gig and left us to work on our own....we did 5/6 hours of work...everything but one solo is done...we'll do that on Sunday before the Sheraton and then it's off to Dennis to do his OD's and mix....i'm kinda spaced out about the whole project...i mean i did my OD's back in January and it's been a long time between sessions...we all have busy schedules and it's been really hard to coordinate this project....but we're this close to being finished!!
Now, i'm gonna have a mango smoothie and go to the beach....work on some new originals. I didn't take any photos of us sitting around looking bummed out....!! ha ha! For right now...all is good.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

The TakeOffs

Wow Ron, what a story! Damn computers! Ha-ha! Glad you found that track!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

We're done!!!!! The band's part that is....finished the last overdub today....listened to each song several more times....made track sheets for each with notes about the various takes etc. It was a frustrating project from a digital point of view but we didn't have the $$$$ to go analog...maybe this record will lead us to an analog project in the future...speaking of which...i was listening to a cassette the other day and i gotta say it sounded way better than a CD!! Maybe we should put this record out on cassette?? nah!! So now we have to transfer the "files" to a format that Dennis can work with to do his overdubs and mix...when i say "his overdubs", we don't really know what that's gonna be....sounds a bit strange i know, but he has plans to "orchestrate" a few songs...we know he wants to add horns to something too....it will be very interesting to see what he does and i can't help but wonder if we're gonna like everything he does??? We'll see...i'll keep you posted...now i've got to start getting the graphics together...should i do it myself (i've done a few records but only out of desperation!! ha ha!) or get a pro like stormtiger who's told me he would be interested, or....?? anyway, thanks for reading all this.....

Wink Wink Wink Wink

The TakeOffs

I see my last post was Apr 1 2010!! Here it is Sept 16 2011 and I can now say...THE CD IS DONE...IT'S NOW FOR SALE!!

You can buy it from Deep Eddy Records http://www.deepeddy.net/ or Double Crown Records http://www.doublecrownrecords.com/ or by check for $13 from me personally at:
(make check payable to Ron Rhoades)

Ron Rhoades
po box 1075
Kekaha, Hi.

We'll soon be hooked up to CD Baby too. You can hear and/or download one of the originals "Mosquito Bay" here: http://surfguitar101.com/media/downloads/2011/3/27/400319d/09%20Mosquito%20Bay.mp3

Now i'd like to finish the story....

So we couldn't get the song files to give to Dennis to work on, or mix, at his studio on the mainland! We took the Mackie recorder to a pro computer guy who downloaded the files to a disc but when Dennis got the disc he said it contained all the files for everything that was ever recorded on the machine!! More letdown...we paid the computer guy $250 for the transfer. He said it cost so much because it took six hours to download it all. We didn't want it all...we just wanted our 14 songs but there was no way to tell one file from another...they were't identified, they were just a number. Now what? We gotta wait until he comes back over to Kauai to mix?
He (Dennis) called me one afternoon..."Ron, you're going to mix the TakeOffs record! I'm too busy...I can't get over there for awhile so you're going to mix." "You've mixed records before and I have full confidence that you can do it...."

At first I was flattered....then, "of course I can mix this"!! I felt confident and ready to rock!! I told the other guys about the change in plans and not to worry..."I'll make this into a great record" i'm thinking.

The trouble was finding the time. John's a busy guy and all the equipment was set up in his house so I had to try and find holes in our schedules to get over there for at least four hours a day and finish this thing. It also occured to me that Dennis wouldn't be doing all those groovy overdubs he was talking about. I could do some of them but...

So after several months of frustrating calls to try and get in there for a day to start mixing I decided to tear my home studio down and replace it with the all the gear we were using at John's. That way he didn't have to be home in order for me to mix. I'd just do it at my place. I thought I could do the overdubs too since I would have a lot of time to work on it. That turned into a nightmare for me. I got all my stuff out of there and into the living room (my wife wasn't too happy about that!) then went to John's to get all that equipment. Well, it was a lot of equipment...the recorder, the mixer, the EQ's and reverbs and delays, the computer monitor and tons of cables...24 in and 24 out!! All of that going to my computer in stereo. I had to wire it all up myself...John didn't have time to come out and help and was so frustrated with the way things were going that he didn't have much faith or energy in the project anymore. Dennis had made rough mixes before he left and John had overplayed his copy to the point that he didn't even want to hear the stuff anymore. "It's not a very good recording...the guitars are out of tune" that's what he was telling me now.
It took me a week just to get the equipment wired up properly!! I fianally got to where I could send my mix to the computer but I wasn't at all happy with the sound. Meanwhile, Bill and Conrad were always asking how it was going and when would I be done etc.
I never could get the stuff to sound good at my house....I always start with the drums when mixing....make them sound good in stereo...build everything else around that, but I couldn't get the drums to sound good. I didn't record them, the producer recorded them. He placed the mics where he wanted and got the sound that he wanted but I didn't like it when I got it to my house. I just didn't like the sound of the drums...it was Dennis' drum sound. He's the one that has to mix this...I'm not going to make all these major EQ changes at this point to make it sound good, or decent, to me. Didn't matter what I wanted anyway, the tape recorder broke down again with all these error messages..."see an authorized technition"...that kind of stuff. So the project came to a halt again. I was able to make some rough mixes but the guys didn't like them. Conrad was really upset with the sound of his drums and where they were sitting in the mix so we were back at the beginnig.
I returned all the equipment to John. Months later, Dennis came over to Kauai and set it all up again and mixed everything in a couple of days by himself. None of us really cared anymore. It seemed like all the fun of doing a recording like that was gone...replaced with major frustration.
Dennis called and said he was done mixing. He said most of it sounded really good but if it were up to him he'd omit a few songs. "The intro on this one sounds too rushed" "The lead guitar on that one is out of tune" stuff like that so he made two master mixes...one with all 14 songs and one with just 11. We called for a playback meeting at John's and all four of us sat there and listened to all 14 songs at a pretty good volume. We were quite pleasently surprised at how good they sounded. We decided to use all 14 tracks. Blemishes and all.

I'm still disapointed that we couldn't do any of the overdubs that Dennis was going to do but on the other hand this record is what the four of us sounded like on the days we recorded these songs and I remember those first days of recording were a lot of fun. So there's no extra frills aside from the acoustic guitar rhythm I played on "Only The Young" a couple of muted guitar rhythm's here and there and a harmony lead part on one song.

A month ago I get a call from Dennis on the mainland..."well, these songs are all mastered and they sound pretty darn good" "i'm surprised how good they sound" he says to me. It was at this point that I contacted Doug Paulin and asked if he would do the graphics for us. I had done the graphics myself already but if we were gonna put this record out then we would need graphics by a professional. I started to get serious about this project again.

Then I got an e-mail from Conrad who was covering the costs of manufacturing stating that the "master" that was submitted to the manufacturer was scratched and unexceptable. We would have to submit another one. Conrad and I were so bummed.....I was furious "how could this be happening?". Conrad called Dennis who said the master he sent "was flawless" and that he was going on the road with someone and would submit another one when he got back in a few weeks. That's what he did four weeks later and that master was also rejected for the same reason. Conrad was so embarrased. We appeared to look like fools to them...you know, chicken farmers from Kauai!! Conrad called Dennis and told him to talk to the manufacturer (DiscMakers) which he did and after submitting the third master it was excepted!!
It took about ten days to manufacture and Conrad gave me the UPS tracking number so I could follow it. Last Friday they (the CD's) were in Pittsburgh...when I went to put the tracking # in on Saturday the UPS website had been hacked!! I kid you not...I clicked on www.ups.com and there was a swirlling color picture kinda psychedelic with some guys name staing that "this website had been hacked...have a nice day"...!!

The CD's arrived at Conrad's house last Wednesday. That's also when I saw the thread about CD's that came out in 2011 and I said something like "our CD's coming out too!" ha ha!
So two on again, off again, years later we now have the CD's to share. We hope you all like what we did. We know we're different. We haven't modeled ourselves after anyone in particular....we haven't even ever seen another surf band play 'live'...only the Los Straitjackets 'Live In Concert' DVD that my brother Rick sent us!! So we don't know where we stand exactly but we love the music and give it all we got the only way we know how....our way.

We've got a ton of new originals already and we're just about ready to record our second effort. This time we'll do it at a studio and with a producer that really knows surf music. I think Dennis did a great job with what he had to work with and the frustrating scheduling.

So that's it...the story has been told and the music will speak for itself.
Aloha,
Ron

The TakeOffs

Ron, this is great stuff! Don't look now, but you write better than most of the people I've worked with over the years. Writing is kinda what I do for a living (or did when I was working). I encourage you to take your postings and assemble them into a chronicle of the project together with the pictures. If for no other reason that simply having them so you and the Takeoffs can always remember the excruciating details of giving birth to your first "professional" recording.

I addressed the envelope, wrote the check and stuck the stamp on it. Will mail it tomorrow and look forward to my copy of "Blue Avalanche"!

Now I can see that you got the Marquee WAY after recording was completed. Maybe it'll be on the next one! Also, I"m selling my house and am thinking about a move to Hawaii for my "Golden Years". Still want a third guitarist??? I can more than carry my weight but you'd have to listen to me whine about wanting to do some Shadows covers!

Aloha!

You're not drunk if you can put your socks on while standing.

Thanks for the studio log, frustrations and all. I, too, have been bitten many times by digital format changes. Well, bless you all for having faith in the project, it would have been so easy to dump the whole thing. I can't wait to hear it.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011 00:24:32

Wow - what a journey! Another great "behind the music" write up - Thank you for that.

Also just saw the conversation on the News post for this release.

Copying here for better visibility (for others who like me may see this for the first time the last post and not realize this was also covered in the opening posts you made, Ron. Lots of info and some cool pics in the thread... I need to go back and read it all from the very start!)

Would that be the same Dennis Dragon formerly of The Surf Punks?

Johnny_Z | 17-Sep-2011 15:46:01 |

Yes, Dennis was the drummer and resident wise guy in The Surf Punks and he's still bouncing off the walls!! TakeOffs' bass player John Hunt was also in The Surf Punks. Conrad, Bill and I were never in The Surf Punks. Dennis' brother Daryl was the "Captain" in Captain and Tennille their father was Carmen Dragon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmen_Dragon I'd say a pretty musical family.

Ron-Rhoades | 17-Sep-2011 16:31:06 |

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011 09:23:56

I know, it's been three years but we're finally working on new songs for our next CD!

I'm really excited and will make sure the process goes a lot smoother than 'Blue Avalanche'.

June 2015 will mark our tenth year together.

Aloha!
Smile Smile Smile Smile

The TakeOffs

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next