Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink FUZZY AND WILD... here comes the FUZZ!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next

There's some cool licks there! great! Hope a complete kick ass song comes outta there. By the way, I've never used garageband (our lead guitar does), I was (and still am) the guy who brought guitar parts, drum beats and bass parts recorded on CASSETTE... jeez, I am vintage even with that, or just prefer to spend the money on booze and women, and not on that particular order, rather than on a new computer.

"flash don't make cash" - Steve Cropper

Born Losers on facebook
Born Losers on bandcamp
The Excitements on facebook
The Kongsmen on facebook

Very nice indeed but I also agree with Norm that the song would benefit by slowing it down a bit (not just for a middle part but the whole song).

FenderShowman63
And yes Im gonna slow it down towards the middle.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Ah, and yeah, me too, I think you should slow it down a bit. If you listen carefully to things like Devil's Angels, Born Losers Theme or Blues Theme, the actual record is pretty slow for a "live show" standard speed. It's just like in a Stax documentary where Steve Cropper talks about the 67 stax tour through Europe, he says that on the first shows they tried to play all the tunes (instrumental and vocal) with the speed they were used to play songs in the studio (they didn't play that much live by then!), but they noticed none of them work live that way, but then if you play faster on the records it sounds cheesy and wrong!

"flash don't make cash" - Steve Cropper

Born Losers on facebook
Born Losers on bandcamp
The Excitements on facebook
The Kongsmen on facebook

Daniel_Loser
There's some cool licks there! great! Hope a complete kick ass song comes outta there. By the way, I've never used garageband (our lead guitar does), I was (and still am) the guy who brought guitar parts, drum beats and bass parts recorded on CASSETTE... jeez, I am vintage even with that, or just prefer to spend the money on booze and women, and not on that particular order, rather than on a new computer.

LMAO Jeez Daniel, estas atrapado en el pasado. You could just install this on your computer. It's free and you wouldn't have to use cassette tapes.

Klas
Very nice indeed but I also agree with Norm that the song would benefit by slowing it down a bit (not just for a middle part but the whole song).

When I recorded the song on Garage Band I had it to 200 BPM. I didn't really think much of it at the time but when we do get down to playing it, it's not gonna be that fast. I do wanna slow down the song a bit. I basically put the track together in less than 30 mins. I'll post a whole band version once we learn it. Thanks.

Daniel_Loser
Ah, and yeah, me too, I think you should slow it down a bit. If you listen carefully to things like Devil's Angels, Born Losers Theme or Blues Theme, the actual record is pretty slow for a "live show" standard speed.

The speed Im thinking about for the song would be just a bit faster than "The Born Losers Theme". Just a bit not too much. Thanks again.

Also here's another Fuzz song I messed around with that I also want us(The Deadbeats) to learn. It's more danceable and fun. Not DA&TheArrows style but fun to play. It needs a Wurlitzer Organ on ther though(haha). Here's the link: http://www.zshare.net/download/7720004820b47345/

The Deadbeats

My favorite Davie Allan song is Cody's Theme. The one on the Anthology has the fuzz, although the version on the Cycledelic Sounds album is fantastic as well.

The last thing the Aquanauts did was record a fuzz song. I'm hoping if Aquanauts part II works out we'll be doing much more fuzz.

"as he stepped into the stealthy night air... little did he know the fire escape was not there"

https://www.facebook.com/reluctantaquanauts/
https://www.facebook.com/TheDragstripVipers/

BillAqua
My favorite Davie Allan song is Cody's Theme. The one on the Anthology has the fuzz, although the version on the Cycledelic Sounds album is fantastic as well.

The last thing the Aquanauts did was record a fuzz song. I'm hoping if Aquanauts part II works out we'll be doing much more fuzz.

I love that song as well. "Fuzzbone" kinda reminds me of "Cody's Theme(45 Version)". I don't know why though. Maybe it has the same chords or it's the main riff that kinda sounds like it.

The Deadbeats

FenderShowman63

BillAqua

I love that song as well. "Fuzzbone" kinda reminds me of "Cody's Theme(45 Version)". I don't know why though. Maybe it has the same chords or it's the main riff that kinda sounds like it.

I don't remember if it was Matt's or mine, but I think whoever wrote it would be lying to say Cody's Theme wasn't the main inspiration behind Fuzzbone.

"as he stepped into the stealthy night air... little did he know the fire escape was not there"

https://www.facebook.com/reluctantaquanauts/
https://www.facebook.com/TheDragstripVipers/

CaptainSpringfield

shivers13
... that Angel Dust album was a musical cornerstone for me when I picked it up back in 1988. Includes The Hogs, (aka The Chocolate Watchband) version of Blues Theme which is pretty awesome.

Edit: spare's gone.

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

I'd like to add this album to the Fuzz thread.
I've been listening to this one a lot lately. There's some wild fuzz on this album. Real cool stuff, I love it! Listen to "Cages and Traps" by The Hangee V!

The Deadbeats

Is this song covered by anyone? I love this tune and would love to have us Deadbeats cover it. Awesome fuzz......

The Deadbeats

Do it! I love that one, and the Deadbeats kill on the fuzz tunes. Would Jonathan do that part on the congas?

websurfer wrote:

Do it! I love that one, and the Deadbeats kill on the
fuzz tunes. Would Jonathan do that part on the congas?

Thanks. Haha, Im not sure if Jonathan would do the conga part but we could think of something.

The Deadbeats

Check out these three discs, too. Not everything has fuzz on it, but all are pretty trippy 60's psych instrumentals, and all are great comps with no overlap between the three ..

BAH ! I had an image link in there but it didn't work and I don't have time to futz with it...anyway, the discs are called BUZZ BUZZ BUZZZZZZ Volumes 1 & 2, and "Everything You Always Wanted To Know About 60's Mind Expansive Punkadelic Garage Rock Instrumentals But Were Afraid To Ask"... Krazee title but great comp ! Check 'em out.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011 10:56:06

This fuzzy track comes from Uruguay circa '73. Kind of has a Davie Allan meets Santana vibe to it.

Twisted Evil > Angel

Ha! It does sound like Santana but with a fuzz pedal. Pretty cool...

The Deadbeats

3 years after Klas' recommendation I finally found a copy of this!!!
great album, stoked!

The Thunderchiefs

This thread definitely needs an update. Come on fellas. Bring on da' fuzz...

The Deadbeats

3 Fuzz instros courtesy of Mudhoney.

Twisted Evil > Angel

Abe wrote:

This thread definitely needs an update. Come on fellas.
Bring on da' fuzz...

Sounds good! Here ya go Abe...

Some of you might know this but the Fuzz was actually developed for country music. This track THE FUZZ by Grady Martin from around 1961 is an early example. It's said that he accidentally discovered the sound and used it for the first time on Marty Robbin's tune Don't Worry.

Check out THE FUZZ by Grady Martin...

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

spskins wrote:

There are a few tracks on Bruce Johnston's "Surfin'
Around The World" (1963) that are extremely fuzzy and
pre-psych for the times.

Indeed, that album has some great intrumentals featuring fuzz! Check out the tune, "Jersey Channel Islands Pt.7"...

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next