Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Videos »

Permalink Drew Weaver and the Alvarados

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

supertonesurf
wasn't he in the surf paranhas love their tune skin diver

Yes, Drew was in the Surf Piranhas. Skin Diver is a great song!

I was in the Alvarados from late 1998 through 2001, and played a few gigs with them in 2002. Drew moved down to OC around the end of 2001, and I'm pretty sure he's got a version of the group going down there.

So, Tommy, when were you in the Alvarados, and what records did you play on?

MelWaldorf

supertonesurf
wasn't he in the surf paranhas love their tune skin diver

Yes, Drew was in the Surf Piranhas. Skin Diver is a great song!

I was in the Alvarados from late 1998 through 2001, and played a few gigs with them in 2002. Drew moved down to OC around the end of 2001, and I'm pretty sure he's got a version of the group going down there.

So, Tommy, when were you in the Alvarados, and what records did you play on?

I started playing with Drew in late 1996; I think all of the tracks for "Unfaithful Kind" had been completed by then. We played pretty steadily throughout 1997, and recorded a bunch of songs for "El Mirage". The thing about Delaware is that the audiences for non-mainstream-type music comes in pockets... Small pockets, sometimes. We had gigs where we were playing to a full house, and gigs where we were playing to the bar staff and a few local drunks.

I think we played into the very early part of 1998, and I'm pretty sure that's when Drew moved back out west to the San Francisco area. Things get kind of hazy... Anyway, the tracks we recorded for "El Mirage" were pretty good, and some of my favorites- Stampede, There Stands The Glass, etc., didn't end up on the record, so I'm only on a handful of those tracks that made the final cut- maybe five, or so. I'm pretty sure Drew finished the record after moving back to California. He seemed to have been going for a bit of a darker theme on it.

I'm one of the "East Coast Alvarados" he mentions in the liner notes. I played my "non-Ventures Mosrite" with The Alvarados, and the shirts always fit...

I'm the guy leaning on the fence post just behind Drew's right shoulder. Drew was a good guy- he was a good player, had an endless catalog of songs (both covers and originals), had a really smooth voice, was a really good showman, and I learned quite a bit from him. Unfortunately, we've lost touch over the years, but I'd love to hear from him.

Drew did reform the Alvarados in So. Cal.
Mark Spraou (sp?) of the Blue Hawaiians is the guitarist.
Doug of the Eliminators is the Drummer,
and they have had a few different bassists.

they did another cd
its called Los Alvarados Feat. Drew Weaver, "Between Nightmares"
its good, but not as good as the 2 previous cds.

they hardly play, if they do its usually at the Swallos inn in Capistrano.
I keep bugging Doug of the Eliminators for them to play there, and to let me know when it happens.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude
Drew did reform the Alvarados in So. Cal.
Mark Spraou (sp?) of the Blue Hawaiians is the guitarist.
Doug of the Eliminators is the Drummer,
and they have had a few different bassists.

they did another cd
its called Los Alvarados Feat. Drew Weaver, "Between Nightmares"
its good, but not as good as the 2 previous cds.

they hardly play, if they do its usually at the Swallos inn in Capistrano.
I keep bugging Doug of the Eliminators for them to play there, and to let me know when it happens.

Drew sent me a copy of "between Nightmares" via the drummer in the old band. I thought it was very good, but it was a definite departure from what I was doing with him in Delaware. Mark Sproul is a really good player, too, and I have a feeling I was trying to cop his style back then without really even knowing it- Drew would give me cassette tapes of songs to learn, and I'm pretty sure that Mark was the guitarsit on some of those tunes... I thought I heard more recently that Drew was kind of concentrating on working as a solo act.

Jeff, if you see Drew, please tell him I said "Hello".

Yeah I will tell him that, IF I see him.

I just know that they haven't been playing much, sadly

I didn't hear anything about a solo project,
but anything is possible.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

By the way, Mel, I forgot to mention- good stuff! Who shot the video?

Tommy, I think the video was done by one of the Alvarado-ettes, I think Eddie's wife.

Drew does have some new material, I heard some of it when I visited with him last summer, but I don't know what he plans to do with it. He's not very quick with email, maybe I'll have to give him a call and see what he's up to.

Mel,
if you do gat ahold of Drew, can you have him add my
e-mail bigtikidude@yahoo.com
to a e-mail list, for Alvarados or solo stuff.

thanks

Jeff(bigtikidude)

all real good stuff

Facebook pages theSupertones
or @ Timothy C Sullivan

Lovely drunk lady with bumpersticker in Bolinas

This was a wild night! (That's not me BTW)

outsides

See, now nothing like that ever happened when we played!

The version with Mark Sproul on guitar played one of the Huntington Beach shows a few years ago. They replaced another band that couldn't make it, Slacktone maybe. I hadn't heard them before and when I first heard vocals I was a little put off but then Mark played a little break that caught my ear. I started to recognize the playing, being a big Blue Hawaiians fan, also Mark Sproul is one of my favorite guitarists. Anyway, my first experience with Drew Weaver, I liked the writing and his vibe. Really enjoyed it, I'd love to see them again. I do remember one of the songs was "Between Nightmares" and if there's a CD of that style I want it.

Hey Needs more reverb,
do I know you?
if you dont want to say who you are on the forum, send me a PM.

yes there is a cd of "Between Nightmares"

Jeff(bigtikidude)

outsides

I think I was there that night at Smiley's. Damn, what a throw down. Luckily Smiley's rents out rooms behind the bar. The Alvarados always inspired a drunken frenzy.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Hey bigtikidude, we've met. Actually you let me know about this site years ago at a Baja Cantina show. I gave you my email address this summer at Bar Leucadia during the Secret Samurai, Sand Devils, Surf Kings show.

I'll drop you a PM

Gang, some news from Drew:

He's got a recent CD called "Late Night Drinking, Late Night Girls" on CDBaby: http://cdbaby.com/cd/drewweaver He recorded this one with some of the guys from The Mavericks. Also, a CD of Alvarados stuff, including some material I'm on (and one of my songs) will be out soon, called "Good Ain't For Good" Drew plans on getting that one as well as some of the older CDs up on CDBaby before too long.

Hey Mel,

I think you have a typo on YouTube. On YouTube it says the Alvarados videos are from The Elms in Excelsior Springs, MO, summer 2008 but I think it should say May 2000.

Also congrats on the release of Good Ain't for Good -- sounds great.

And per one of the lyrics on Alvarado Christmas, did you really work at Chippendales in Reno "but that was a long time ago..."?

Great to see the Alvarados videos...

Hal

Mel, looks like the date change from Summer 2008 to Summer 2000 went through on YouTube and the Alvarados poolside video date is correct now.

Also (in case you find it in your local mall) Drew Weaver and the Alvarados - Good Ain't for Good is now available on CDBaby here:

http://cdbaby.com/cd/dweaver

Drew has been doing his best to make his catalog available on the internet. This time around we have Los Alvarados - Between Nightmares available now at CDBaby at http://cdbaby.com/cd/losalvarados featuring Drew Weaver, Mark Sproull (lead guitar), Andrew Boyer (bass), and Doug "Sir Loin" Harlow (drums) released in 2006.

I'm not sure if Andrew has any cool credentials, but Doug Harlow is in the Eliminaotrs, and Mark Sproull, was/is in the Blue Hawaiians.

its A really good cd.

Hal,
would you by chance be Drew?
Wink

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next