Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink New Dubceks review on Reverb Central.

Page 1 of 1

Phil Dirt has posted his first Dubceks review on Reverb Central. You can view the review here:
http://www.reverbcentral.com/reviews/d/dubceks6410.html
Phil Dirt is not one to mince words. He basically implies that the music of The Dubceks is possessed either by genius or insanity. Either way...

i found zaks review much more informative and entertaining Wink Rolling Eyes Evil Shocked

www.surfintheeye.com

Did it get removed, Zak's review? Or is it from the first time this guy came around and tried to push some of the worst music ever made upon us.

This post has been removed by the author.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009 20:05:54

The first time I came around? Oh, yeah. I remember now. I got booted from the site because everyone's so uptight and snobby. You know, every other surf guitar forum that I have visited has some pretty cool people. Has anyone else ever mentioned that you seem like a stuffy, snobby, smug bunch?
Besides, Zak reviewed a bunch of (intentionally) crappy songs that The Dubceks put on their profile. They will laugh if you base your opinions of them on the profile songs as Zak did. That's the point. To look like a jackass.

Last edited: Oct 04, 2008 14:41:48

You got booted because you posted under multiple user ids and spammed the forums with Dubcek related posts.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009 20:06:05

Ha ha. I was here under one name. You messed up with the other guy. It was pretty funny. And for the record, I never spammed anyone nor did I try to promote my band. I was trying to promote a local band that I am fond of.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009 20:06:08

Rooster
Ha ha. I was here under one name. You messed up with the other guy. It was pretty funny. And for the record, I never spammed anyone nor did I try to promote my band. I was trying to promote a local band that I am fond of.

Look, you are welcome here, but you must drop this facade. Whenever you join a community you must obey the rules and conventions of that community.

Your IP records indicate you were posting from multiple accounts which is a violation of the rules here.

Yes, you spammed. You posted multiple pointless posts about your band to many unrelated threads.

I'm done arguing this with you. Again, you are welcome here, but try to behave.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian, you are being too kind to these people.

THe NEpTuNeS

Rooster
The first time I came around? Oh, yeah. I remember now. I got booted from the site because everyone's so uptight and snobby. You know, every other surf guitar forum that I have visited has some pretty cool people. Has anyone else ever mentioned that you seem like a stuffy, snobby, smug bunch?
Besides, Zak reviewed a bunch of (intentionally) crappy songs that The Dubceks put on their profile. They will laugh if you base your opinions of them on the profile songs as Zak did. That's the point. To look like a jackass.

I dont think the people here are uptight and snobby at all, there are some great people with a wealth of Knowledge, and a love for "Good" surf music. There are some very strongly opinionated people here, but they are also able to conduct themselves appropriately! I actually appreciate the fact that most people are honest enough, not to bullshit people on something they think is crap!

Last edited: Oct 04, 2008 16:05:52

zak
No, its still here:
http://surfguitar101.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6743

Bottom of the page.

I guess the Douchebags had never received that much attention before, they even put it on their myspace page. Laughing

Hilarious!
Now that old thread made my day. Thanks guys you're too much!!
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009 20:06:15

DrPantsPhd
Everything sounds out of sync and messy. And your drummer sucks

Best review yet! Laughing

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Spamming and lies (quit denying both) aside, I wanna get back to the original subject of this thread. I'm a big fan of Phil Dirt and have always enjoyed and respected his reviews, but his review of the Dubceks has made me seriously question his credibility. My guess (and hope) is that he's just being polite in his words. But notice that he gives nothing more than three stars. That's by no means a good review.

Ok maybe you guys do have better material than what you posted on your myspace. Maybe you actually aren't a bad band, but you're still most definitely a dumb band. The idea of publicizing only bad writing/playing/recording makes no sense whatsoever. Nobody will get the joke, and nobody has. You've cleared it up for us and we're still not laughing. If you have better material by all means make it available and prove us all wrong. Otherwise this little exercise of trying to fool and gain approval from SG101--a convergence of many of the world's premier surf experts, players, and fans--is an exercise in futility. Good luck with it too, because you've already dug yourself into a pretty deep hole. RTFM

Last edited: Oct 05, 2008 20:35:06

Phil Dirt's credibility is of his own design. While I have never held his opinions in completely high esteem, I can see the tongue in cheek here. I found his review both honest and, frankly, showing a much-needed humor he generally does not represent. The little "stars" ( or dots or buttons or gummi bears or whatever they are) he gave to the tunes is bizzare, of course. I mean, what would one have to submit to get a one "gummi bear" rating, for example?!

SSIV

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009 20:10:24

zak

LHR
I mean, what would one have to submit to get a one "gummi bear" rating, for example?!

The Phantom Surfers' Great Surf Crash of 97 would be a good place to start. Laughing

Wow! What a terrible review of the Phantom Surfers LP. He gave them 0 gummis on most tunes. They must have pissed him off somewhere along the way!

My point earlier was that Phil Dirt's reviews have never never made much sense to me. He might be a swell guy, I have no idea. But the reviews themselves are not consistent and, worse, are often internally inconsistent. Take for example the following two-gummi review of the Deke Dickerson single Deke Dickerson and his Guitar. Okay, fine, two gummis for this single. The man has no taste, no crime there. But wait, looking at the details you see that he gave one tune 3-gummis and the other tune 4-gummis. What the heck? But you see this kind of thing a lot on his site.

SSIV

My personal favorite is when he cut and pasted the review from our cover of "Green Peppers" from the Herb Alpert tribute as the review to our original "Green Chile". That's just lazy. Lame Along with how he consistently praises stuff that I often find un-listenable, while dissing releases that I enjoy on a ugly-ass website that makes no sense, well, let's just say I've never been a fan.

Thumbs Down

http://www.satanspilgrims.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Satans-Pilgrims/8210228553
https://satanspilgrims.bandcamp.com/
http://www.surfyindustries.com

Page 1 of 1