Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Suggestion Box »

Permalink A couple suggestions of new features.

Page 1 of 1

i'm kinda new here and sometimes i get really dizzy on who is who, mostly about their bands. I think it would be cool to show in the posts every user does (under his name and location) a BAND item. i already know that you could it manually, but i would be cool to have it like in bold font or something, maybe a little logo, you know what i mean?

other... it would be really cool a place where you can add words about subjects that you are more interested, and when those words appear in any thread an email or PM is sent to you.

i.e. i put the words "Ventures, tremolo" then an email and/or PM is sent to me telling me where somebody it's talking about that.

PS. maybe this things are already working and i don't know it?

Guitar Player in Nahuelaizers
http://nahuelaizers.bandcamp.com

It's conceivable that some people might not want to reveal their band connection continually. Among other issues, it would seem to attach the band's endorsement to everthing they said.

Still, it might be nice if it were a field somewhere that could be optionally filled in and/or optionally displayed. There are some existing facilities that allow associating a band name. Many people use the band name as part of their alias. It could also be in a signature or avatar.

As far as associating aliases with names, I confess I still have great difficulty with this, but I assume that to some degree it's OK not to know the name behind the alias. Otherwise, why the aliases?

I can help on the business of finding out about what has been posted that is of interest. Two tools for this:

In the forum displays, use the search tool. See the word "Search" at the top of a forum page. There are no keywords, but you can search on author, subject or text. The main limitation of the search tool is that it retrieves whole threads, not particular posts. Since the site tends to long threads, you can have your work cut out for you finding the particular post in which your search terms appeared.

In addition, you can configure your profile to determine if you see responses to your own posts. You can change this at any point.

And finally you can click on the little words "Watch this topic for replies" to commission an emailed notice of additional posts to that topic. Once you have set a watch, you can go to the same place to turn it off.

I hope this helps!

Tuck
Since the site tends to long threads, you can have your work cut out for you finding the particular post in which your search terms appeared.

I've often thought this would be easier if the search arguments were highlighted in red text instead of white.

Don

Tuck
It's conceivable that some people might not want to reveal their band connection continually.

Agreed, I don't like to mention what band I am in. I am here for the discussion, not to promote the band. Don't get me wrong, it is great to be able to check out other people's band since we have some people in great bands here. Just not for me, I don't want to be a Bruce Duncan. FWIW, there are no more Bruce Duncans on this board. Plus, we have signatures for people to link to their myspace or whatever.

i just said that the BAND thing it would cool but clearly optional. You can already do it on your profile but that's why I said it would be nice to add an optional feature that does that thing : )

oh and the other feature about the keywords. I was thinking more of a "Difficult Search" thing. Like certain subject that doesn't appear almost never but you can't wait for something to talk about that.

Like an "alert" if someone talks about something you're interested into.

I.E. nobody talks about... i dunno... Michael Jackson? then when somebody talks about that you can know it by this feature. (If you're really into M.J.)

Yeah I know I can do it with the Search feature but I don't want to be all day looking for that certain subject until someone mention it.

You can get your search results as posts vs threads.

You can put your band info in your signature.

Having the software search through everything that everyone posts to send emails out to people seems like a complicated thing to code and would chew up the server. However maybe the new forums would let you tag topics with keywords for easier searching.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

I'd like to tag this topic with 'reverb'.

The other option is to just pay attention to the forum a little closer. There's not that many posts every day.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Another way to get posts about things you are interested in is to use GoogleMail and set up an alert for your favorite keywords, then you get an email alerting you whenever your keywords appear on the nets.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

ok thanks guys!

Having a dedicated spot in the profile for a band and band URL is a good idea though. I'll consider it for the future.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Page 1 of 1