Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Must...buy...Yamaha SGV

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 519 20 Next

zak

MissingLink
Very nice-looking guitar and rig. Those SGVs look dangerous in black! Interesting about the trem, especially since it's missing from the guitar I'm considering. If I'm going to be looking for a replacement anyway...

You can order the correct arm directly from Yamaha.

The part number is QC541100 and they sell it for $14.
expect a 4-6 week delay as they need to order the part directly from Japan.

Looking at RecRoomSurfer's photo, I see the pickups are sitting pretty low, very much like they were in my SGV when I got it. I can not begin to describe the radical improvement in tone and output that raising the pickups with some extra foam provided.

hey zak !! about your question about adapting a jazzmaster style tremolo, I just took the inspiration fromthe old SGs,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30710293@N06/2872650891/

and I design a special stainless steel panel and send it to a guy to cut it , and then I do the necessary routing in the wood

when I finish it I promise that I put the photo here

sorry, a question

do you know how can i do to put images in my posts?

El Papu & los Fantasticos Reverberantes

This post has been removed by the author.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009 19:28:58

papu gato, para poner imagenes tenes q subirlas a alguna pagina (tipo flickr o esas) y despues cuando estas escribiendo el mensaje apretas el boton Img una vez, pegás la direccion de la imagen y le das otra vez al Img para cerrar.

Guitar Player in Nahuelaizers
http://nahuelaizers.bandcamp.com

surfaca
papu gato, para poner imagenes tenes q subirlas a alguna pagina (tipo flickr o esas) y despues cuando estas escribiendo el mensaje apretas el boton Img una vez, pegás la direccion de la imagen y le das otra vez al Img para cerrar.

gracias papa !!...calate el chiche nuevo......a lo takeshi....jajajajaja

zak

big_papu
hey zak !! about your question about adapting a jazzmaster style tremolo, I just took the inspiration fromthe old SGs,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30710293@N06/2872650891/

and I design a special stainless steel panel and send it to a guy to cut it , and then I do the necessary routing in the wood

Cool! The old SG models had a very Jazzmaster-like tremolo tailpiece. You might actually be able to order the correct part from Yamaha because for a while they were offering an "accurate" reissue of the SG-5A or SG-7A. You might want to contact Yamaha and see if the parts are available.

big_papu
do you know how can i do to put images in my posts?

Sure: right-click the photo in your link, select "properties" and it will give you the image's address (ends in ".jpg") or, if your browser allows it, select "copy image location" - then paste it in between the "img" tags like this:

(if you "quote" my post you'll see the code clearly)

The image address appears as http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3273/2872650891_a5fc36e60b.jpg?v=0, just chop off the "?v=0" at the end and it should work fine.

I prefer to use photohosting sites like xs.to, you don't need an account/password, and the image code is supplied when you upload a pic.

here you got it

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009 19:29:04

zak
That looks really cool!
Nice job...did it change the sound of the guitar at all?

yeah, sure.......more body and bass response, and remember that there are the flats

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009 19:29:08

I know these models are discontinued by Yamaha, are they still being sold in Japan? or are they completely discontinued? I would love to get my hands on one of the SGV 300s or 800s, I see that Yamaha has the EGV103s, but the tremolo is much different, as well as the pick ups. (very strat like) I saw one of these for sale including a little amp for like $199. Has any one here played one of these?

big_papu
here you got it

That's excellent. I'm really impressed. Nice work! It doesn't look like there's a trem-lock on it; I probably wouldn't miss it, though. What kind of routing did you have to do?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009 19:29:14

I definately figured that the 103 was a cheap strat rip off. But I do love the shape. By the way that double neck is very nice!! I'd love one as well.

I really like mine, they are really well made. I think you get a lot of guitar for the price you pay for one. Personally, I like the vibrato arm as it is - but I'm using 10's. I still cranked the adjustment right up though, mainly to get the arm where I like it, but it stays in tune brilliantly even with heavy abuse. It's a more versatile guitar than a Jaguar ( although I love my Jag for surf) and works pretty well for other styles of music too; I use mine quite a lot for all sorts of things.

Three points - it took me a while to get used to the narrowness across the fretboard (like a Mosrite) and the top of the neck access isn't great. Also you need to watch the pickups proximity to the strings as it's a bit prone, like Strats, to getting a warbly bass string when they are close.

All in all - mines a keeper. Not only is it a quality instrument but it has character aplenty.

http://www.myspace.com/thepashuns

Youth and enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009 19:33:43

zak
Well I guess this information is too late, but all the original parts are still available from Yamaha Japan (the North American and European Yamaha distributors won't have it), they would be for the "accurate" mid-80s SG-7A reissue.

Here is the parts list with all the part numbers:
http://msato.net/Guitars/sg/sghyo2.html

Here's a mid-80s SG-7A reissue:

http://www.j-guitar.com/sp/sea/view_detail/s15320012.html

The body shape (around the bass bout, by the neck) is subtly different from the SGV models...

thanks for the info zak!

yeah, maybe the best guitar for me was one of those reissues, but I live in argentina and it´s really difficult to buy all that stuff, and I do this was so easy for me.

just fall in love with the doubleneck.........those pick ups look like P 90s, maybe they sound good

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009 19:33:47

tommyalvarado

big_papu
here you got it

That's excellent. I'm really impressed. Nice work! It doesn't look like there's a trem-lock on it; I probably wouldn't miss it, though. What kind of routing did you have to do?

thanks for yuor comment !

ups.........I hate the tremlok, they usually use to "lock" your trem in live gigs, so I avoid it

about the routing, just complete the jazzmaster hole over the original one

zak

big_papu
I live in argentina and it´s really difficult to buy all that stuff, and I do this was so easy for me.

It's hard to find these things anywhere outside of Japan, I've only seen them for sale on Japanese websites. I don't think they were ever exported outside of Japan, but I may be mistaken. Strange, because they seem to be very popular there.

big_papu
those pick ups look like P 90s, maybe they sound good

I think they're Mosrite pickups with white covers, like the Yuzo Kayama model blue Mosrites. They don't have the "extra" screws you see on a P-90.

I WANT! Shocked

yep, they are beautiful.....I love the light blue "YUZO" mosrite, my favourite "eleki" guitar, Unfortunately is really expensive.

the SGV never goes to become my main guitar I just purchase it for an EP that we are going to record with "eleki" cover songs........I like yuzo more than takeshi, because I am a kind of "melodic" guy............even, takeshi´s playing is GREAT, not bad for a "surf" guitarist ........jajajajajaj Wink

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009 19:33:52

estreet
I really like mine, they are really well made. I think you get a lot of guitar for the price you pay for one. Personally, I like the vibrato arm as it is - but I'm using 10's. I still cranked the adjustment right up though, mainly to get the arm where I like it, but it stays in tune brilliantly even with heavy abuse. It's a more versatile guitar than a Jaguar ( although I love my Jag for surf) and works pretty well for other styles of music too; I use mine quite a lot for all sorts of things.

Three points - it took me a while to get used to the narrowness across the fretboard (like a Mosrite) and the top of the neck access isn't great. Also you need to watch the pickups proximity to the strings as it's a bit prone, like Strats, to getting a warbly bass string when they are close.

All in all - mines a keeper. Not only is it a quality instrument but it has character aplenty.

Man, where did you get that color?!? SGVs always look great, but that's got to be the ultimate color for a surf guitar. Drool

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 519 20 Next