Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
96 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink Official Surf Coasters 2008 USA Tour Thread

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Haha. That it does... but will I respond, I don't know.

Wednesday's happen, this one just happened to be in Fresno. Only SG101ers in attendance were me, and Tom an HapHazzard from the Neptunes. Despite a nice write up and photo in the local rag, audidence was small, about 30 people in the Babylon pool hall. The small crowd didn't slow the SCs, and it was fun to hear the reaction from casual attendees (those there to shoot pool, not watch music- they used the word "jawdropping" quite a bit. The Neptunes rocked, they have a very full sound and are tighter than ever. My nomination for best band to have at your next rumble. See you in Vegas!

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Thanks Ferenc for the kind words and for again bringing the Surf Coasters to Fresno. What a show! The Surf Coasters gave a great performance and sounded perfect in a difficult room. Bumble Bee was really inspirational. How do you get your hands to do that? The crowd was small but very into it. The pool players were very stoked to see the show. After every song, a guy would run up with a pool cue and go YEAH!!!!!! And then run back to the game.
I probably should have picked a different venue, when we first booked the show, the Babylon, was in full swing with big audiences. The booker there was not real on the ball... I gave them posters and I didn't see them anywhere. I think he realized he should have done more to promote on his end. Still I had a lot of the folks that had confirmed, yet never made it down. Wed nights are tough here.

ON the other hand now the Babylon wants us to do a regular Wednesday night gig, perhaps we can get a new instro scene going again.
Then perhaps we could do a better job hosting the Surf Coasters next time

Tom

THe NEpTuNeS

More Surf Coasters photosets from the Sunday night 9/7 show in San Jose.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/95601762@N00/sets/72157607236135791/

bIGwAve Dave
http://www.myaspace.com/theebigwavedave

bIG_wAvE_Dave
More Surf Coasters photosets from the Sunday night 9/7 show in San Jose.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/95601762@N00/sets/72157607236135791/

bIGwAve Dave
http://www.myaspace.com/theebigwavedave

nice ones. I also discovered your shots of the TomorrowMen in capes from the spring. OMG!

This is a review from the Duke posted elsewhere...

Hope you don't mind!

$5…….great price for two unbelievable ROCK/SURF INSTRUMENTAL BANDS…..The Neptunes started at 9pm….I got their new cd on SPINOUT RECORDS…..owned by EDDIE ANGEL…_….name of the cd is DAVY JONES’ HOUSE BAND…….great cover photo of an octopus who is very upset and RED…….12 tunes……..11 are originals……the lone cover is an obscure one written by DJANGO RIENDHARDT from the 1930s…….called of all things…….MINOR SURF…….Leader Tom Walzem wrote 10 of the other tunes and sax man J. Van Horn wrote one too………John Shafer played his usual thundering frantic drums……..most tunes were uptempo and more rock than surf but it all sounded great……….they did two of their tribute tunes……..SURF COASTER and ATTACK OF THE AQUA MARINES…….loved them both…….I went and bought the SURF COASTERS new cd prior to hearing it…….OUTSIDE BREAK is the title with a surfer on a 20+ ft. wave……..got the band members to sign the inserts too……..THE SURF COASTERS on a mini tour……..thru California with Ferenc of POLLO DEL MAR in tow…..MASA their manager was manning the cd and t shirt booth……I gave him a copy (extra) of THE VULTURES cd as a gift for the band….acoustic surf and instrumentals with NORTON BUFFALO and others…..the kids from JAPAN did most of the cuts from their new cd and and a few covers like RUMBLE, BLACK WIDOW, and BANZAI WASHOUT……and of course BUMBLE BEE (Flight of the…..) and MISIRLOU as their finale……..AMAZING VERSION as usual……someone in the front row had a movie camera on a small tripod filming the entire set……would love to see some of that on YOU TUBE……It was good to see Ferenc again……he looked tired and said he was….during the Neptunes set after watching a few tunes done…..laid down on one of the long padded bench seats and seemed to be resting his eyes for about 30 minutes…..the Surf Coasters sat during the entire set of the NEPTUNES and were really digging on the tunes…..in the crowd was BLAKE JONES, MIKE SCOTT, and later MOFO PARTY BANDS harp player JOHN CLIFTON…….small enthusiastic crowd with lots of applause and standing ovations for both bands…….and especially THE SURF COASTERS…….their next stops are in San Diego and El Segundo as I recall. I am rocking to both cds here at work…….and they are HOT…….DUKE OF THE DISCS

George B. Feist, "DUKE"

THe NEpTuNeS

I really like the new Surf Coasters CD. It isn't real surfy but it rocks. I definetely like it better than their prior one.

I'm working up the nerve to ask my wife to let me fly down to LA for the last show....

Miles, you have to offer for her to come along and mention all the fun stuff you can do down and around LA. Maybe you can visit the beach, some nice shops, do some touristy stuff, and oh yeah! The surf coasters are playing tonight! Let's catch that as well.

JakeDobner
Miles, you have to offer for her to come along and mention all the fun stuff you can do down and around LA. Maybe you can visit the beach, some nice shops, do some touristy stuff, and oh yeah! The surf coasters are playing tonight! Let's catch that as well.

Jake, you're a smart man Laughing

Tim O
oestmann guitar

tunes

clips

The Surf Coasters absolutely blew the joint up last night in San Diego. Stunning performance. I stood probably two feet from Shigeo for the entire set. Such a great guitar player! All I can say is Holy Sh*t they were rockin' the place!

The Sand Devils went on right before The Surf Coasters and played a really good set. I especially liked the Bauhaus, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy Opus Medley at the end of the set. So cool!

Pretty decent crowd in atttendance. It was cool hanging out with BTD, Marty, Clint, Gavin (Reptile Records), and Ran again.

The highlight of the night for me clearly was Bumble Bee. Sheigo just nails it. Also Tom and John Blair were in the house filming for the Sound of Surf documentary. I'm glad they were able to capture last night's performance.

I'm going up to the Purple Orchid show tonight to catch them one last time. Thanks Ferenc, for helping to bring the Surf Coasters back to Southern California!!

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008 15:29:48

I, too, had a wonderful time at the San Diego and El Segundo SURF COASTERS gigs. The SAND DEVILS set was thoroughly enjoyable; and I appreciate the band's hospitality a great deal. Great to connect with so many people (Clint B., Jeff/BTD, John Blair, Tom). Got some killer pix, and shot some video as well that came out fantastic. Will post when I can find the time.

Sat at the PURPLE ORCHID was an intense 1-2 punch of great music. SLACKTONE just peeled the bamboo off the walls, had everybody beggin' for more. How does Dusty play at this level like almost every night is beyond me! Members of OuterWave, David Arnson, Rick Wilkinson, Daddy-O Grande, Ivan of the Madeira, Dave at the P.Orchid -- good to run into so many people -- everyone was goin' nutz for both bands.

FERENC....God bless you for all you do for the surf community, and for bringing the SURF COASTERS to the U.S. It was my first time seeing them, and I will never forget the experience.

It was a short trip for me (I got to the SURF MUSEUM yesterday afternoon for CHUM, and the VECTORS--did I spell that right?), and to re-connect with Linda Miller...God Bless Her, and Tim/HBKahuna as well.

Probably left some people out but I am coming back to life from the redeye return flight.

UNSTEADY FREDDIE

http://www.facebook.com/unsteady.freddie

Did anyone catch them in Vegas? Does anyone have photos of any of the later shows? Smile

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Here are some photos from the Purple Orchid. I'll write a few words about the show later.

Kuri asking if anybody wants his bass so he doesn't have to schlep it back to Tokyo Laughing (not really):

Here is a very special photo - one to treasure for the rest of my days (talk about teen-idol looks! Rolling Eyes ):

And here's one of Ryan AKA Ruhar and Warren AKA CaptainSpringfield:

Dig it!

Ivan

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008 12:29:29

Both the Fri. and Sat. shows were really good.

I especially enjoyed the Sand Devils and Slacktone sets.
as playing for big crowds that were here for the surf coasters shows,
got some great turnout for the venues.

I was blown away to get to the Purple Orchid right at 10 pm as Slacktone was just starting.
and see the place absolutely packed.

I do wish that the surf coasters could have played a bit longer on Sat nite.
as stopping right at midnite was a bit premature.
But I'm assuming that they had only rehearsed 1 hour set.

I was a bit let down by the newer tunes, as they are not really surf.
and more rock. But they did start off and finish each set with more surfy songs.

thanks again to them for coming over,
and Thanks a ton for Ferenc for organizing it again.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Sat.'s show was fantastic! The Purple Orchid was jam packed (especially near the stage).

Slacktone just ripped it up. Dusty was exceptional. He really bears down, grits his teeth and just tears into his kit. Quite a sight to see. Slacktone never disapoints and this set was no exception.

The Surf Coasters played another great set. A few different tracks from the night before, but overall mostly the same set. It was so cool to be able to see the band so close up two nights in the row. Staring too closely at Shigeo's hands while he plays can induce a grand mal seizure though Shocked

I had a great time both nights, although the drive back to San Diego on Sat. was grueling to say the least. (However, the new Sword album helped keep me awake. Thanks Warren!) It was great seeing Ivan and Duff again.

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008 15:29:18

All I can say is WOW, Surf Coasters in San Diego were going off!

Ferenc, thank you so much for arranging and helping with this, we all owe you our gratitude. Thanks again!

td

Sound of the Surf, the movie
Facebook SOTS

Some more photos, this time from Seattle, 9/5/08. I went with Ferenc to pick up the Surf Coasters at the airport (we both arrived to the airport, separately, two hours before the band). The guys flew Tokyo to LA and from there straight to Seattle, at which point Ferenc took them straight to the radio station for their live broadcast, and then straight to the club for the evening's show - no break! 15-17 hours on planes and at airports, 16 hours of jetlag, no shower and then play TWICE, before finally getting to the motel around 2:30 am - yikes. Here are two photos from the airport:

Some photos from the radio broadcast. I was able to get into the booth, and sit right in front of the Dual Professional used by Shigeo (belonging to Mark of King of Hawaii) - it hurt so good! Very Happy (I even got live video of it, and I'll post it as soon as I figure out how!)

Shigeo's digital processor Shocked Shocked Shocked ! It produces very convincing Jeff Beck tones. Laughing

Ivan

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

I put a bunch of pics up on their myspace page.

Thanks for all the "Thanks"! My pleasure!

My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Pollo Del Mar on FB

Smile So how do the guys feel about the whole tour? Did they enjoy themselves?

The Deadbeats

FenderShowman63
Smile So how do the guys feel about the whole tour? Did they enjoy themselves?

Yeah they had a great time. As I have mentioned, the band has been broken up for two years now. Nao and Kuri are starting families and have day jobs, they took their vacation time to do this tour. For Shigeo it a chance to play his own music (tonight, Tuesday in Tokyo- he is playing in front of 30,000 people at the Tokyo Dome when Puffy opens for Avril Lavigne). So, imagine if you could go on vacation, play in front of adoring audiences, break even (almost) and listen to the hilariously incomprehensible jokes of your van driver for a week. Sounds like a great time, doesn't it. In fact, I practically had to stuff Nao back in the van after the Purple Orchid show, he didn't want to leave. For a guy who speaks so little English, he has to be one of the chattiest people I know!

My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Pollo Del Mar on FB

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next