Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
319 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
247 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
247 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
166 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
145 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
113 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
107 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
68 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
19 hours ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
19 hours ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink It Came From The Beach: Surf, Drag & Rockin' Instros From Downey Records

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

CaptainSpringfield

Ruhar
Our old drummer, MisterE loved the Pixies version

As do I - I heard theirs before I got into surf music and always dug it. In fact, the main reason I bought "Surf Legends and Rumors" was because I wanted to hear the original.

-Warren

me too.....loved the pixies version and bought 'surf legends and rumors' because i also wanted to hear the original.

www.surfintheeye.com

Although it was news to me that it actually is a modern recording, I always thought it sounded like a potential modern one (especially the drums) due to what I believed was the lack of original mastertapes (a great deal of the 60's sound secrets lies in the mastering techniques of the time). Or maybe I just got affected by the 80's looking cover art, haha.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

I agree that the drums were a tip-off. There was always something about that song that stuck out. Maybe that's why so many bands wanted to cover it.

http://www.satanspilgrims.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Satans-Pilgrims/8210228553
https://satanspilgrims.bandcamp.com/
http://www.surfyindustries.com

You sure it's the drums and not that Hendrix whammy dive in the bridge? Very Happy

-Warren

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

This was news to me, too. I'm surprised they were able to keep this secret for such a long time, twenty years. It did seem weird that there would be absolutely no information about this band. (I always thought the track was highly overrated, it never did much for me. I found it surprising that so many bands would cover it, but I guess I just didn't get 'it'...)

Ivan

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

I've just been listening to the Surf Legends (And Rumours) because of this thread. I listened closely to Cecilia Ann, and to me, the bass is the dead giveaway that it is a modern recording. Funny.

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

I have yet to order the new Ace comp but it will definitely be interesting to see what they have to say about the song in the "exhaustive sleeve notes".

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Steve Hoffman and Charles "Frosty" Horton recorded it around 1989 to open the "Surf Legends And Rumors" comp. They just wanted to do one in the old style. Steve said he mimicked the mix and mastering to match "Inertia" by The Hustlers, right down to the stereo placement, which is why it sounds like it was cut in the same room at the same time.

When people talk about the mix and center channel, they most oftenh don't realize that these recordings were made on 2-tracks for mixing to mono. There isn't third channel infoprmation to place in the center. Ampex introduced a stock model of its 1/2" 3-track machine in 1960, and the 4-track in 1964. Unless recording in a large studio, 2-track was the weapon of choice.

Phil Dirt<br><a href="klzzwxh:0000">Reverb Central</a>

Downey Jr. made lots of claims about being at sessions, owning tracks, writing songs, or producing, all of which have been discredited.

It's called Downey records because it was in Downey, California. It was located in tha back of Wenzel’s Music Town sat at 13117 Lakewood Blvd. Tom and Maxine Wenzel ran the store, Bill and Jack Wenzel ran the Downey studio and label.

CaptainSpringfield
I don't think Morton Downey had anything at all to do with "Wipeout" - the story I've seen a bunch of places is that when they went to record "Surfer Joe," they had some time left over and the producer (Paul Buff?) told them they should probably record a B-side. Ron Wilson took a drum cadence from his high school marching band and they came up with the rest on the spot.

-Warren

True-I heard it from Ron Wilson's mouth at a gig we did with him in Emeryville CA.

(Also of note; Tiesco Del Rey filled in for Frank Novicki that night)

THe building today

THe NEpTuNeS

reverbcentral
Steve Hoffman and Charles "Frosty" Horton recorded it around 1989 to open the "Surf Legends And Rumors" comp. They just wanted to do one in the old style. Steve said he mimicked the mix and mastering to match "Inertia" by The Hustlers, right down to the stereo placement, which is why it sounds like it was cut in the same room at the same time.

When people talk about the mix and center channel, they most oftenh don't realize that these recordings were made on 2-tracks for mixing to mono. There isn't third channel infoprmation to place in the center. Ampex introduced a stock model of its 1/2" 3-track machine in 1960, and the 4-track in 1964. Unless recording in a large studio, 2-track was the weapon of choice.

who officially wrote 'cecelia ann' ?

www.surfintheeye.com

Cecelia Ann was written by Steve Hoffman in 1989, according to Steve and as credited on the BMI site.

Read this:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=134420

THe NEpTuNeS

Steve Hoffman & Frosty Horton (Frosty left off my post in haste)<br><a>BMI</a>

Hey - the code didn't come through:
<a>BMI</a>

If it is still wrong: bmi.com search cecilia ann

Klas
I have yet to order the new Ace comp but it will definitely be interesting to see what they have to say about the song in the "exhaustive sleeve notes".

Turned out Ace screwed up pretty bad. From the liners:

Mystery surrounds the SURFTONES. "Cecilia Ann" first saw release on a late-80s CD, where it was erroneously noted as having been released in 1964 on an independent label. The year of recording is almost certainly correct, although it is most likely to have been previously unissued.

Great comp anyway and I can now get rid of my Surf Legends and Rumours CD.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Just noticed this from the Reverb Central review of the Ace CD:

There is significant controversy over the origin of the track. Surf Legends (and Rumors) compilation producer Steve Hoffman says he needed a track to open the comp, and so he wrote and recorded "Cecilia Ann" with Charles 'Frosty' Horton, mimicking the sound of The Hustlers as closely as he could. Brian Nevill, who put together the It Came From The Beach: Surf, Drag & Rockin' Instros From Downey comp for Ace says that Ace got the track from an analog two track reel with the Downey masters they bought the rights to. So, is it from 1964 or 1989?

I wouldn't be surprised if Hoffman just "placed" his modern recording with the original Downey tapes when they were finished with the Surf Legends comp in the 80's.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

I finally picked this one up, I really dig it.

Thanks for the heads up when all this started about it coming out, I probably would have missed it.

www.kingvoodoo.blogspot.com

A little help for your Downey Collecting.

Downey label Photo

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next