Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink It Came From The Beach: Surf, Drag & Rockin' Instros From Downey Records

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next

It Came From the Beach: Surf, Drag & Rockin' Instros From Downey Records

Album Description

• 26 rockin' instrumentals from the studio that created the Chantays' Pipeline' and the Rumblers'Boss'.

• This compilation ties together all the surf and rocking instrumentals recorded at the Downey Studios or for Downey Records in the early 60s. Most were released on small indie boutique labels, if not on the Downey imprint itself.

• There are some previously unreleased items, and a few that were initially unearthed for a now-deleted, badly mastered and totally un-annotated Dunhill CD in the 80s. With this release we have tried to include as much information as possible in Brian Nevill's exhaustive sleeve notes together with some great photos for the booklet.

• This is a must for surf and instrumental fans who like to have one studio, one label, one legend in one place. For everyone else, we've got alternate takes and unavailable masters, so there's no excuse for this not to be on your shelf.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014 14:01:02

Good stuff!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Ace puts out the goods every single time Rock

-Kyle

Beyond The Surf YouTube channel
Beyond The Surf Instagram
The Verbtones @ Instagram
The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

not sure how many people are aware that DOWNEY is MORTON DOWNEY, JR., famous as a controversial TV host,

here's some more insight into "music" side:

http://www.mortondowneyjrhome.com/music.html

UNSTEADY FREDDIE

http://www.facebook.com/unsteady.freddie

Are you sure about that, UF? The link to Downey Records Klas gave seems to say that Downey was for Downey California, and that the studio was owned and operated out of Wenzels' Record shop?

Klas
There are some previously unreleased items, and a few that were initially unearthed for a now-deleted, badly mastered and totally un-annotated Dunhill CD in the 80s.

This sounds like a reference to "Surf Legends and Rumors" that came out in '88. That was one of my first surf comps. The packaging on it says Del-Rack, but the liner notes say "Dunhill". It's a good comp, but like it says, really bad documentation and research. This new improved comp will be really great to have

DOWNEY RECORDS discography:

http://www.globaldogproductions.info/d/downey.html

Are you sure about that, UF?

from MORTON DOWNEY, JR. official website:

_When someone studies music, they often look for points where something historic took place. Morton Downey Jr. stands on one of those historic points. Two of the hit songs of the Surfer Music Era came about through the talent and effort of Mort.

One was the song Wipe Out which was recorded by The Surfaris in 1963. Wipe Out spent ten week in the Top 40, peaking at #2.

Before Wipe Out Mort opened his doors for the first anthem of surfing...literally. Pipeline by The Chantay's was recorded in Mort's garage in early 1963. The entire production cost $55 and was released on Downey Records. Mort wound up selling Pipeline to Dot records for $14,000. Pipeline stayed in the Top 40 for eleven weeks peaking at #4. Pipeline has become one of the most recognized instrumentals in music history._

so, I know MORTON DOWNEY, JR. was involved; but yes, I might very well be mistaken what the Record Company DOWNEY was named for

UNSTEADY FREDDIE

http://www.facebook.com/unsteady.freddie

I've heard that Morton Downey Jr. claims that he wrote Wipeout, but this has never been taken seriously by anyone but Mort.

Wasn't there an article in the Wall Street Journal a while back that talked about all the controversy around Wipeout and it's origins?

I don't think Morton Downey had anything at all to do with "Wipeout" - the story I've seen a bunch of places is that when they went to record "Surfer Joe," they had some time left over and the producer (Paul Buff?) told them they should probably record a B-side. Ron Wilson took a drum cadence from his high school marching band and they came up with the rest on the spot.

-Warren

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

Brian
Wasn't there an article in the Wall Street Journal a while back that talked about all the controversy around Wipeout and it's origins?

It wasn't the Wall Street Journal, it was the OC Register. I couldn't find the story, but someone apparently saved it to their own page:

http://www.buriedlede.com/journalism/wipeout.html

I heard the story of how Wipeout was composed straight from Bob Berryhill. Morton Downey had nothing to do with it. Bob tells it just like Capitan Springfield.
See the link from BMI. No mention of Morton Downey.
http://repertoire.bmi.com/title.asp?blnWriter=True&blnPublisher=True&blnArtist=True&page=1&keyid=1681517&ShowNbr=0&ShowSeqNbr=0&querytype=WorkID
WIPE OUT (Legal Title)
BMI Work #1681517
Alternate Titles:
WIPEOUT
Songwriter/Composer Current Affiliation CAE/IPI #
BERRYHILL ROBERT EARL BMI 2953211
CONNOLLY PATRICK VINCENT BMI 6649289
FULLER JAMES EVANS BMI 11018060
WILSON RONALD LEE NA 33044230

Publishers
MIRALESTE MUSIC BMI 20942902
ROBIN HOOD MUSIC CO BMI 26273791

Pipeline:
PIPELINE (Legal Title)
BMI Work #1175950
Alternate Titles:
MISSKALCULATION
RIDE THE CREST
Songwriter/Composer Current Affiliation CAE/IPI #
CARMAN BRIAN BMI 5254323
SPICKARD BOB BMI 29331594

Publishers
REGENT MUSIC CORP BMI 39740762
http://repertoire.bmi.com/title.asp?blnWriter=True&blnPublisher=True&blnArtist=True&page=1&keyid=1175950&ShowNbr=0&ShowSeqNbr=0&querytype=WorkID
No Morton Downey...

websurfer

Klas

• There are some previously unreleased items, and a few that were initially unearthed for a now-deleted, badly mastered and totally un-annotated Dunhill CD in the 80s.

This sounds like a reference to "Surf Legends and Rumors" that came out in '88. That was one of my first surf comps. The packaging on it says Del-Rack, but the liner notes say "Dunhill". It's a good comp, but like it says, really bad documentation and research. This new improved comp will be really great to have

My main problem with the "Surf Legends and Rumours" comp have always been the artwork with the modern surfer and pink graphics. The music is great though.

BTW, can anyone spot the difference between the artwork posted at Ace Records and Amazon? Laughing

Ace Records

Amazon

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

The colors are richer and or darker from the Ace site?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Hint: It has something to do with the title.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

ok I see it now,
from and the are mixed up,
but look at the colors.
the Amazon one all the reds look pink.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Yeah, I noticed the difference in colours too but think that's only because of the use of different scanners or something. Just have a look at how CD Baby screwed up the colours on our first album:

CD Baby

Amazon

Hopefully Ace discovered the title typo before sending it to manufacturing or otherwise someone might have to look for a new job.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas
My main problem with the "Surf Legends and Rumours" comp have always been the artwork with the modern surfer and pink graphics. The music is great though.

My main problem with the "Surf Legends and Rumours" has always been the fact that they remixed most of the tracks - and badly, at that. They mixed them all to stereo, and didn't use the center channel at all - so, you'd get the drums and bass completely on one side, and the lead and rhythm guitars on the other. I really hate that. Also, I don't know what they did to the tracks, but they all sound painfully clean and sterile. If you compare some of these tracks from the original '60s releases to the versions on the CD, it's not even a contest in terms of which recordings sound better. Check out, for example, "Russian Roulette" by the Nevegans on the Surf Creature vol. 2 and then the version on Surf Legends (which is titled "Surfbound" there - it's the same song).

Ivan

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Yeah, I had forgot about the remixing (I assume the original masters are lost) but still think the "artwork" is more annoying. Anyway, yet another reason to get the new comp although when listening to the Ace sound sample of Bangalore, the rhythm section is in one channel and the lead guitar and sax is in the other...

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

One of the tracks on the original Dunhill comp - "Celia Ann" by the Surftones is a phoney made by the producers at the time. The Pixies even covered it thinking it was a vintage recording. (It did make it on to the Ace comp.)

I edited this post because I was duped just like everybody else.
But then realized that there was more discussion on the next page.

so basically I said that I thought that the Cecilia Ann song was by Dave Myers and the surftones.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: May 03, 2012 12:24:31

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next