Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Suggestion Box »

Permalink What about a Chat room??

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3

I installed MIRC & got in no problem. It seems easier to configure than chatzilla.

Ah, good to hear!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Got my ssh tunnel set up at work and I'm on! Dog slow though. Oh well.

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

I'm really quite thrilled at this. Thanks for suggesting a chat room again. I've had a lot of fun talking to some of you this weekend.

Some questions come to mind.

Should we have more than one channel? I've heard convincing arguments in both directions. I guess it doesn't really matter unless there are a lot of people in the channel, and that hasn't really happened yet.

Should we schedule a chat night? I remember we had fun with this in the Yahoo Group days.

Should we "hide" the IRC server password on a page that only registered site members can see?

I've also gotten a suggestion to display who is chatting in IRC on the website. This is kind of involved, technically, but I am looking into it. Smile

Brian
Should we have more than one channel?

Sure. I don't think it would hurt to try one or two more just to seee how it goes.

Brian
Should we schedule a chat night? I remember we had fun with this in the Yahoo Group days.

That sounds very cool. The only problem I see is the definition of "night". With east coast vs. west coast vs. Europe, it might be hard to schedule.

Brian
Should we "hide" the IRC server password on a page that only registered site members can see?

Sounds like a good idea.

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

1. If it gets to where there's consistently a dozen or so people talking over one another, yeah. But for now I think the one is fine.
  2. Yes!
  3. Yes.
  4. It would be nice.

-Warren

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

Okay I got a little block under the shoutbox that shows who is in the IRC channel #ShallowEnd. Smile

Oh, and don't mind sg101Bot. He doesn't bite. He's the "bot" recording who is in the room for the website.

In addition to updating the website with who is in the IRC channel, sg101Bot now spews a random quote from Zippy The Pinhead every 10 minutes. Why? I dunno, I thought it would be funny and I wanted to write some cool Python code.

sg101Bot is kind of a dull name. Does anyone have any better names? gremmieBot5000? zippyBot?

the one problem that i did encounter from those times i was in the chat room was that when i'll be waiting for someone to connect and i go and do some other stuff online and i come back to check it theres like 2 or 3 messages from people trying to tlakt o me leave after i dont respond. i think there should be like some kind of AIM sound or somethign like that when people log in or write something or at least a blinking thing on chatzilla window like on AIM. i really enjoyed talking toa bunch of people in the chat room so i wanna thank you brian for considering the chat room

-Zanti

Instagram:

My IG

Combo Tezeta IG

Feel free to use another IRC client if ChatZilla doesn't work for you. I only suggested it because it is easy to setup and available on both Mac and PC.

Oh i seee i didnt know i copuld use a different one! i dont know anything about irc wahtevers

-Zanti

Instagram:

My IG

Combo Tezeta IG

Hey Zanti, suggesting a chat room was a very good idea. I'm happy with IRC and have really enjoyed chatting with everyone lately.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3