Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink Some inspiring eleki stuff

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 617 18 Next

CaptainSpringfield
That's a great comp. Here's what I could recognize:

1.) Sharp Five - "Tuiteoide." They recorded a killer instro version as well.

2.) "Yozora No Hoshi" (?)

3.) Sharp Five - "Driving Blues"

4.) I know it's Terry, but can't place the tune.

5.) Terry - "Flying Guitar"

6.) Terry - "Test Driver"

7.) This one's really familiar. I know I've heard a Terry version but can't remember the title.

8.) Sharp Five - "Golden Guitar"--this one gets my vote over "Test Driver" for best Eleki tune.

The complete content for the Ultra Punch Deluxe comp was posted in a recent eBay auction:

TERRY & BUNNYS

SORATOBU GUITAR
TEST DRIVER
KAERANU CHIKAI
KUROI CARNATION

SHARP HAWKS

TOINAGISA
TSUITEOIDE
KYUN KYUN KYUN
ITSUMONO TOKORODE

SHARP FIVE

GOLDEN GUITAR
NAGISA NO OTOME
DRIVING BLUES
TUIOKU

Here are the short sound samples again, 8 of the total 12 tracks:

Ultra Punch Deluxe (Real Player)

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas
The complete content for the Ultra Punch Deluxe comp was posted in a recent eBay auction:

TERRY & BUNNYS

SORATOBU GUITAR
TEST DRIVER
KAERANU CHIKAI
KUROI CARNATION

SHARP HAWKS

TOINAGISA
TSUITEOIDE
KYUN KYUN KYUN
ITSUMONO TOKORODE

SHARP FIVE

GOLDEN GUITAR
NAGISA NO OTOME
DRIVING BLUES
TUIOKU

Thanks for posting that, Klas. Looks like it's a great comp from top to bottom. The Sharp Five instro versions of Toi Nagisa, Tuiteoide and Kyun Kyun Kyun are great, so I'd be interested to hear the Sharp Hawks ones. (The sample of them doing Tuiteoide was pretty cool.)

-Warren

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

I was first going to bid on it but then found out that I already had all the tracks except the Sharp Hawks ones. (When the promo copy was offered earlier this year, I didn't have the Sharp Five tracks but I do now). The two Sharp Hawks vocals ("Tsuiteoide" and "Itsumono Tokorode") heard among the short samples are both great I think. Definitely a very good eleki/GS compilation. I would guess most of the tracks were recorded in 1966 which I think was the best year ever for Japanese music.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Here's an interesting Takeshi Terauchi LP. I have Beat! Beat! Beat! volumes 1 and 2 on CD but didn't even know about a vol. 4 (or a vol. 3 for that matter). The auction description dates the record to 1966 which could mean that this was the last Blue Jeans release before forming the Bunnys.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas
Here's an interesting Takeshi Terauchi LP. I have Beat! Beat! Beat! volumes 1 and 2 on CD but didn't even know about a vol. 4 (or a vol. 3 for that matter). The auction description dates the record to 1966 which could mean that this was the last Blue Jeans release before forming the Bunnys.

Volume 3 & 4 are both pretty low energy compared to 1 & 2, but 4 is definitely better than 3. "Desert Island" and "La Playa" are both cool low-tempo tunes--the former has "desert" sound effects and a shuffle beat while the latter has a tasteful acoustic backing. I'm pretty sure the weird-ass version of "Misirlou" is the same as the one on the out-of-print "Let's Go Surfin" comp. "Rock-a-Bye Bag" is ninety seconds of C/W noodling--it ends right before it can get annoying. I wouldn't pay anything close to $100 for the LP, though. It's good, but definitely not $100 good.

Volume 3 has a pretty cool version of "Fugitive," a decent version of "The Cruel Sea" and not much else. IMHO it's the weakest of the four.

-Warren

Saw this posted from the Mermen list.
Its probably all info you know about, but thought I should put the link here.

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2006/09/japanese_surf_v.html

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Not an eleki instro but you don't get to see the great Yuzo Kayama playing his pearl white Mosrite every day. And you can always keep an eye and ear out for the cool guitar break:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InQUib84SuY

Watching the video, I've started to regret not choosing a white Mosrite guitar strap instead of the black one I got.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Ouch!! He might have a nice guitar but what a couple of clunkers he plays in the solo...

yeah I noticed those too, he make a little smurk right after he did the last one at the end of the solo, Razz

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

dan
Ouch!! He might have a nice guitar but what a couple of clunkers he plays in the solo...

Yeah, but there's so many on some of Terauchi Takeshi's studio recordings it's actually impressive.

-Warren

I just noticed that several of Terry's albums have got new CD reissues:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230027322624

My favourites among the pictured are number 3, 4 and 5. Should show up on for example Japanese Amazon but doesn't seem to be available there yet. Also the 1972 Terry album Warren mentioned earlier in this thread is now out on CD for the first time and I'll definitely try to pick that one up:

CaptainSpringfield
<i>Manatsu No Umi Wo Buttobase</i> - This is easily the surfiest eleki album I've heard. Terry's using more reverb than usual, and the all-instro album opens with covers of "Kickstand," "Surfin' USA" (which is incredible), "Surf Party" (inexplicably missing that double-picked part before the drum breaks), "Movin" and "Point Panic." It also has a much more raw version of "Bluejean #1" than the one on his <i>Best Original Hits</i> comp.

The keyboards are pushed way to the back on most of the songs, which definitely isn't a complaint, and Terry's guitar playing is really good throughout. The fuzz breaks on the Surfaris tune are a little grating, though. Stylstically it's pretty similar throughout (minus one impressive stab at exotica), and the three original songs are excellent. I really can't recommend this one enough. I also can't seem to find the artwork for it online, but the cover has a shot of Terry & band goofing around in knee-deep water holding surfboards.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas
I just noticed that several of Terry's albums have got new CD reissues:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230027322624

My favourites among the pictured are number 3, 4 and 5. Should show up on for example Japanese Amazon but doesn't seem to be available there yet. Also the 1972 Terry album Warren mentioned earlier in this thread is now out on CD for the first time and I'll definitely try to pick that one up:

Last I checked www.cdjapan.co.jp had most in stock (the good ones, at least). I think they were going for 1,900 yen or so.

So now that they're available and relatively affordable everyone has to buy one of the reissues so it's not just me and Klas in this topic. Twisted Evil

-Warren

I've now found out that they are available at Japanese Amazon too. When I was checking out the front cover, I noticed it had a small sticker in the lower right saying: "The privilege is not available outside Japan!". I assume the "privilege" is explained in the dark blue sticker underneath. I don't read Japanese but is has the text "45" in it. I wonder if it could mean bonus tracks from a single or even a bonus CD single?

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Embarassed Looking at the cover again, the text "45" on the dark blue sticker most likely refers to the "45th Anniversary Celebration" mentioned on the OBI... Still wondering what the "privilege" could be though.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

It might mean not for export.
But we all know that many things that aren't supposed to leave Japan do.
Like the Mosrite copies. (Grey Market??)
We got poped at my old work for having questionable releases before.
alot of them came from Italy, and Russia.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I got some CDs from Japanese Amazon today:

Takeshi Terauchi
Singles Volume 2 (1967-69)

Naturally not as great as volume 1 (1966-67) but still really good I think. 10 instros and 10 vocals. The CD ends with the 1967 Christmas EP were the band really goes totally over the top.
Takeshi Terauchi & Blue Jeans
Manatsu no Umi wo Buttobase!!

Great album even though it was recorded in 1972. I think the overall sound production sounds more like late 60s (besides some of the lead guitar which actually does sound early 70s). Anyway, it doesn't distract too much from the great performances.

Short samples from the album can be heard here. Be sure to especially check out the great versions of "Surf Party" (track 3) and "Movin" (track 4).

Takeshi Terauchi & Blue Jeans
Beat Beat Beat - Volumes 3 and 4

Really good twofer and I think I prefer these last two volumes over the first two. Yeah, some filler but also many great and/or interesting tracks. Seems like vol. 3 was the last album they used Fender guitars since they all sport Yamaha SGVs on the cover of vol. 4.

Now, I think I'll have to go and rip away on my Mosrite...

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas
Naturally not as great as volume 1 (1966-67) but still really good I think. 10 instros and 10 vocals. The CD ends with the 1967 Christmas EP were the band really goes totally over the top.

I've been meaning to check that one out--how are the vocal tracks?

Nice acquisitions on the other two. I listened to Beat Beat Beat 3 & 4 again recently and liked it a bit more than I did previously--mostly the material on Vol. 4.

-Warren

CaptainSpringfield
how are the vocal tracks?

I think most of the vocals are great GS (with Terry's inspired guitar playing always present) and easily better than several of the included instros which in some cases are a bit lame. I would rank track number 5 "Taiyo No Hana" among the very best Bunnys vocals ever.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Check out this funny album cover of Terry playing guitar in the slope. Note how his bandmate has to follow closely with the amp Laughing

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas
Check out this funny album cover of Terry playing guitar in the slope. Note how his bandmate has to follow closely with the amp Laughing

That's awesome. Good thing he's not playing through a full stack.

-Warren

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 617 18 Next