Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink The surfguitar101 2008 convention thread!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 512 13 Next

Please everyone, post your reviews, pics videos and ravings about the SURFGUITAR101 CONVENTION in this thread.

and <u>here's a little prize competition</u>, Im sending two bottles of handpicked (by me) special belgian beer to the first person that posts a picture of BTD with a friggin' huge grin on his face!

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

HOOT!!!

www.surfintheeye.com

Jeff:

Thanks for pulling this off. It was truly special!:rock:

Even the I-5 & 405 traffic heading back to Carlsbad was smooth!

I counted 4 tanks onstage, and another in reserve.

And to all the participants ....

YOU GUYS & GALS ROCK!!!! Guitar

Good Job BTD!
Had a great time meeting everyone.
I only have a couple of pictures, it was just too hot and loud for a geezer like me ( Wink ) to get close enough to the stage for the band shots, but I'm sure others will post those.

Here's a shot of the general scene from the outside:

Here's a few of the guys including Brian (green shirt).

Here's a few more of the guys including Dave Arnson and BTD:

My Web Site - Tunes - Pictures - Guitar Projects - Hard Rock Cafe Guitar Pins

Last edited: Aug 03, 2008 14:05:54

Hermosa Beach was a blast last night . Got to put faces to the names finally . Doug(stormtiger ) Great job! See.. it did happen it this life time. SG 101's Brian NEEDS TO MOVE TO SO CAL so he can be at all these events. Is there an ocean in Ohio anyway??? Great to see you there Brian. BTD took on a huge task with this one an pulled it off pretty damn well . Props to Jeff . Special thanks to Outerwave and Gomez for suppling the back line. Those amps were hot enough for Billy to cook taco's on. Ran for probably 8 hrs straight without a failure. When is the next one?

WR
Please everyone, post your reviews, pics videos and ravings about the SURFGUITAR101 CONVENTION in this thread.

and here's a little prize competition, Im sending two bottles of handpicked (by me) special belgian beer to the first person that posts a picture of BTD with a friggin' huge grin on his face!

I think this is as bout as close as you get..

Eddie Bertrand & The Eliminators absolutely went off!

Maui (Aquasonics) & an adoring surf fan

Jeff arranged for a fine collection of memorabilia

Maui & Dave Arnson - Insect Surfers (some other guitar player in the background)

Frenc - Pollo Del Mar

Hey would somebody back east call my boss and tell him I'm not coming back...................ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

What a GREAT day!!! Thanks Jeff for putting it all together and working so hard to make everything go so smoothly. Loved every minute of it!!!
Rick

Rick

Freakin' A! I wish I was there Crying

Jeff... bravo bro Rock

-Kyle

Beyond The Surf YouTube channel
Beyond The Surf Instagram
The Verbtones @ Instagram
The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

What a day, I am totally exhausted! Thanks Steve, I still can't believe I got to play with Dusty. All of the bands played with extra fire, I think because the audience consisted of the most hardcore surf music fans, players and inventors. My head almost exploded standing so close to Slacktone, and with 2 bass players. I've seen them many times but that was especially scintillating. I have never seen Mar Gaya played live before, that had to be a highlight with Ran on lead, Danny on rhythm and Ghastly Norm on drums. It almost started a riot. Other than that it was the usual, Paul Johnson and Eddie Bertrand doing Mr. Moto and Squad Car, the Eliminators (and with Eddie) burning up the stage. DGG/Dario sounded great on his El Sonido playing Latinia. And there were a lot of other bands and jams, Adbel played the Shadows with a band! I picked up a bunch of CDs, listened to Secret Samuri twice on the way home, excellent!
A lot of people stuck around for the night show. The Detonators surfed up some of the most unusal song choices ever (Billy Joe McAllister Jumped Off the Tallahatchee Bridge). Pollo Del Mar just has too much fun for any one band and I think Danny Snyder was having most of it sitting in for Jono. Ferenc gets very psychedelic with volume pedal swells and feedback. Ivan got to sit in for Magyra. The Madeira were just completely awesome, they are a perfect blend of players that have really carved out their own distinct sound, no wonder they travel so far to play together. I had to leave before the Insect Surfers but I've had the pleasure of seeing them many times before. It was great to meet so many SG101ers and Brian, who is the quietest, nicest and most modest guy in the world considering he is the center of the surf music universe, in Iowa Steve, not Ohio. I again apologize to Wooza/Ben for hijacking Exotic, I owe you one. Thanks a million to Kyle for suggesting this, and most of all to the Big Tiki Dude for making it happen.

deleted post
Rolling Eyes

Dean(aka Moondevil)
deanmatherly.com

Last edited: Aug 03, 2008 15:58:50

WOW, guys!!!! Shocked

What an event. I'm so glad so many were able to attend. I met a lot of new faces and SG101 members. Total sensory overload (I was at Suzy's 12 hours), but such a great time!

I will get pictures up eventually (too busy today to work on that), but took a lot. I think I got pictures of about 90% of the different surf jam combos, so I will try to get one of each of those up. I may have to just link up to my photo bucket.

Thanks again, guys! I think we have ourselves a new annual event!

"Turn the knob to 10 and break it off!" -Baja Marty

Oi, my head! I did 12 hours yesterday....with a one hour break just to go feed Chico over at my friend's place and then come back! I missed a whole lot as I was outside working the Mach Turtle cd table but hey....I saw EVERYBODY, and I mean, people I hadn't seen since 1996 or something. The highlight of the day when I slipped away for a minute was the jam with Dusty and Jeff Utterback dueling drums.....jawdropping. SO bummed I missed Eddie B. and the Elims but I scored a major karmic chip.....I gifted Eddie with a copy of the Mermen's "Food For Other Fish". Uh oh....NOW look out Wink I said to him "this will f**king change your life!"
Big props go out to BTD Jeff Hansen for pulling this all together. He was getting too stressed and he just needs to chill today. Good job, bro.
A Kodak moment.....me and Dynotone Rob kissed and made up Smile It's alllll good.....

I hate to overwhelm BTD with accolades...but the guy knows how to put on a show!! I had a blast! There were so many highlights, but I'd have to say, playing Dark Eyes with Mr. Eddie Bertrand was a big moment in my bass playing history...others include playing with Paul Johnson and Dusty Watson back in the Surf Report days...wish there was more time in a day so we could play with Ivan, Ferenc, Dave(s) (W & A) and many others who were there (who are to numerous to name).

I saw the Madiera the night before and they were mind-blowing..."STEVE HOLT!!!!"

But back to BTD, you did a fantastic job and the show exceeded my expectations...to be honest, I didn't know how you were gonna pull it off...but you did.

Maybe we should start a "BTD celebrity roast" thread so we off set all of the praise he's getting. LMAO LMAO

Steve-O-San
Maybe we should start a "BTD celebrity roast" thread so we off set all of the praise he's getting. LMAO LMAO

HA!

...but seriously, Jeff put A LOT of personal time and effort into organizing this. I'm surprised, actually, because after organizing Marty's birthday party, I thought he was done with events like this. However, he wanted to see everyone be able to get together, have a fun time, meet other sg101 members, and enjoy good music. Yeah, he wanted an event like this to happen, but repeatedly told me that he wanted it to be worth the trek for those who visited from out of town, and I think he pulled it off, thanks to many of you as well!

Yep, Jeff! I'm talking about you while you're not here! Twisted Evil
(They're all at the pier show now)

"Turn the knob to 10 and break it off!" -Baja Marty

WR
here's a little prize competition, Im sending two bottles of handpicked (by me) special belgian beer to the first person that posts a picture of BTD with a friggin' huge grin on his face!

HBkahuna and I will split the prize Very Happy

OPPS, my bad , Thanks Doug. Sorry Brian . Im not sure but I dont think Iowa has its own ocean either !

moondevil

WR

and here's a little prize competition, Im sending two bottles of handpicked (by me) special belgian beer to the first person that posts a picture of BTD with a friggin' huge grin on his face!

How's that for a grin?

Very Happy

Click Below for 86 more photos !!
http://www.dumptv.com/matherly/august2008_sg101_hermosa/album/index.html

Dean(aka Moondevil)
deanmatherly.com

Nice set of pictures moondevil. If your first posting of BTD had worked, I wouldn't have had to "photo shop" HBkahuna's. Laughing

Great pics! And especially of Chico....my gorgeous little Aussie son (mummie says he has officially arrived on the surf scene with a picture taken at a show....even though he's now been to several).
Oh hey....I forgot to thank everyone who signed the petition (2 and half full pages worth) to Bring Back Surf Night at the Baja Cantina!

moondevil

moondevil

WR

How's that for a grin?

Very Happy

Click Below for 86 more photos !!
http://www.dumptv.com/matherly/august2008_sg101_hermosa/album/index.html

Cool Cool

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 512 13 Next