Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink The "Big Waves" Starbucks Surf Comp

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Doug, as far as the super-silly 'arrow' sounds, I've read a LOT by Bruce Welch, including his autobiography, and talked to the man at length on several occasions, and I never, ever remember reading anywhere or him telling me that he thought those were an improvement on the Shadows' version. You better check your sources! As far as I'm concerned, the less said about the arrows the better.... God damn gimmicks....

Well, it did come from the internet so it has to be true, but I'm sure if he said it he was just being kind. I don't care for the arrows either, I didn't even know they were arrows until someone pointed it out. I never even heard Ind Ingmann's version , the Ventures do the arrows too.

This post has been removed by the author.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009 18:50:41

For an absolute beautiful version of Apache, check out Jon and the Nightriders version on Fiberglass Rocket. Stunningly well done. I'm not sure but I'd guess that Dave Wronski was the driving force in that version.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Oh yeah I agree. I even told Dusty at one of the DD shows here in Atlanta just how awesome that was. I have incorporated some of Wronski's feel and variations on a theme into the way I play it as well........kudos!

On those rare opportunites when I am playing a guitar with round wound strings, I put the "arrows" in as well, you betcha.

It kinda sounds as if there might be some sour grapes around here which is unfortunate. The way I remember it, Ingmann's record company simply beat the Shads record company to the punch by releasing his version in the US prior to the Shads. Also, and this is coming from someone who listened to it in real time when it was climbing the charts to reach Number 2 in 1961, those string swipes were something we endlessly discussed as it was completely different from anything anyone in my circle of friends had ever heard.

I dig Johnny Smith's and Chet Atkins, takes on Walk Don't Run, but the Ventures made it happen and along the way made Johnny Smith a rich man. In addition they started a movement that still has a profound presence around this site today.

I agree with Ivan. It stinks that the Shads got no credit here for Apache (and a whole hell of a lot of other great music). I didn't really discover them until about 10 years back.. I sure missed out on a lot. Although in perspective, I keep running across this really great stuff they recorded that up until now, I did not even know existed. What great surprises!

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

DannySnyder
For an absolute beautiful version of Apache, check out Jon and the Nightriders version on Fiberglass Rocket. Stunningly well done. I'm not sure but I'd guess that Dave Wronski was the driving force in that version.

Yes, absolutely. I believe the liner notes said Dave was playing lead on that. I changed the way I play that song because of that version.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

Goto Page: Previous 1 2