Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink The "Big Waves" Starbucks Surf Comp

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

So a couple of weeks ago me and my uncle were talking and he told me he had went to Starbucks and seen a surf record.I was like "what!" but then I remembered I had previously read on this forum about a surf comp being sold at Starbucks, so we went later to the nearest one and bought a copy. The very first thing I noticed was that the first song was "Surfing Safari" by the Beach Boys and I thought "Oh this is out of place", then I saw Misirlou was the second song and I went "How imaginative and original" (not that I don't like Misirlou but we all know its annoyingly stereotypical of surf) but then I saw the rest of the list and it's got some really good songs on it like Baja by The Astronauts, Surf Rider (I was amazed when I read from the little booklet that it's actually a Ventures song that was originally named Spotnick that the Lively Ones modified and renamed.) A Flash Of Green by Pollo Del Mar, Guitar Noir by the Aqua Velvets, one I hadn't heard before named N.Y. '79 by Laika & The Cosmonauts and a great and fun version of Hawaii 5-0 named Martini 5-0 by The Blue Hawaiians and some other songs.

The record is divided in two sections: the first one features surf classics and the second one features modern surf songs by current bands.

Overall I think it's a nice little record that would be ideal for a person that's new to surf and wants to get a global idea of what surf is, for hardcore surf enthusiasts it might be repetitive or they might have already heard most of the songs in there but it's a good CD to have anyhow.

So for anyone else who has heard the comp, what do you think? Did you like it? What's your opinion on Starbucks selling surf comps? (personally I don't really know if it's good or bad)

Augusto Vite

www.facebook.com/carne.y.cosas

I got it just for the Jorgen Ingman version of Apache I didn't have.
good to have to put on, and tell somebody this is surf.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I got it. I listen to it. I loan it out a bunch.

People always say, "that's a great CD...i dug it" when they return it.

Mr Green, I agree. I got the CD as a Christmas present and I've enjoyed it a bunch. I too did not have the "Original" Apache. That track is an amazing record. It is sorta like begining "surf" for the masses and if it lures just one new person to one of our (surf bands in general) shows, then mission accomplished.

Frankly, any CD that has Baja by the Astronauts on it is ok by me..............

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

eddiekatcher
Mr Green, I agree. I got the CD as a Christmas present and I've enjoyed it a bunch. I too did not have the "Original" Apache. That track is an amazing record.

Ahem, Ingmann's version is NOT the original Apache!! The first released version was by the Shadows, who in fact wrote (added) the legendary intro and outro figure, as well as the bridge (those were not written by Jerry Lordan, who only wrote the main melody). Ingmann simply copied the Shadows' version when he recorded his own, months after the Shadows released their mega worldwide hit - except for the good ole US of A. Unfortunately, Ingmann's version ended up being released in the USA before the Shadows' version, owing to the American labels thinking in 1960 that nothing British could possibly become a hit in the US, delaying the release of the record by many months, and thus Americans now think that Ingmann's version was the original - which is a real travesty, IMHO. The Shadows' "Apache" - rock'n'roll and completely original; Ingmann's "Apache" - a third rate copy of Les Paul (and thus NOT rock'n'roll) and highly derivative.

I've said my peace.

Ivan

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Please god nobody post that 70s version of Apache. It is the obvious choice and therefore unoriginal and subjecting any of us to that is akin to ripping out our soul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_2TZilowWg&feature=related

You'll dig this one Jake -

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

For me this is the Apache gold standard....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33wxStqZL5o&feature=related

For me, it's this one - the original and still the best, from June of 1960 (and check out the way-ahead-of-its-time video!!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY-rPDwzM9M&feature=related

Ivan

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

This post has been removed by the author.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009 18:50:04

I don't think you're right about that, Zak. Bert RECORDED his version before the Shadows, it's true, but he didn't release it until the Shadows had a hit with their version. Lordan gave him the song first, but since he wasn't releasing it, he went ahead and gave it to the Shadows.

Ivan

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

This post has been removed by the author.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009 18:50:13

Was Apache even released in the USA? back then?
I had heard that people had to get imported versions of it

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Ahem, Ingmann's version is NOT the original Apache!!

Ingmann added the arrow swoosh sounds that Bruce Welch felt was an improvement on their version. I heard Spring is Nearly Here behind the voices on NPR yesterday.

IvanP
For me, it's this one - the original and still the best, from June of 1960 (and check out the way-ahead-of-its-time video!!):

Ivan

The arrangement on this is my favorite. I was going to post this one except the video is marginal. I'd swear the rhythm part on this is played with an acoustic, however in all the vids I have seen Bruce has his Strat.

I still have my 45 RPM of the Ingmann version; believe ECHO BOOGIE is on the flip side?

and yeah, I cherish it a great deal

there is something so, well, special about APACHE, that will almost always move me when I hear it

UNSTEADY FREDDIE

http://www.facebook.com/unsteady.freddie

IvanP

Ivan

Off Topic

Bruce is playing a Jazzmaster?

The bass player is playing with his fingers and not a pick?

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian
Off Topic

Bruce is playing a Jazzmaster?

That's what he used for most of '60 into '61, until he was able to get a Strat (back then Fenders had to be specially imported into England, so he wasn't able to get a Strat right away). Once he got a Strat he never played anything else again.

The bass player is playing with his fingers and not a pick?

Just for the video. It's not live, obviously.

HBKahuna
I'd swear the rhythm part on this is played with an acoustic, however in all the vids I have seen Bruce has his Strat.

Tim, it's not live - they're 'miming' to the studio track, which does indeed feature Bruce on an acoustic guitar. Live, he would always play his Strat.

Ivan

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Ah Ivan..........please excuse my limited perspective, my good (and technically correct) fellow. For we down south dudes who had never even connected the Shads (from the Summer Holiday movie with Cliff Richard) to anything instrumental. Apache was Jorgen Ingmann. I don't believe that I'd ever even heard the Shadows track until the nineties. However good theirs is, My vote goes to Ingmann, his is a moody and emotional masterpiece. It is a wonderfully out of balance and confusing mix that reminds me of Pipeline with it's haunting emotion. It's hard for me to listen to it now and not drift back to a time 40+ years ago when I was lying awake at night listening to WPLO (AM) on my 5 transistor Channel Master radio with the antenna wire coupled to the top bunk springs to improve reception and a simple earpiece phone waiting for the all night DJ to play that "Apache" record again. It moved me deeply then..............and it moves me deeply still...............

Best of Reverbs, my good friend,

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Ed, I completely understand about Ingmann's version holding a special place for you. I'm not saying it shouldn't. That song has resonance to your personal history, and nothing will ever change that. I just hope you can better appreciate the history of the song, and not refer to Ingmann's version as the 'original', since it clearly wasn't - though it may have been for you and many other Americans.

Doug, as far as the super-silly 'arrow' sounds, I've read a LOT by Bruce Welch, including his autobiography, and talked to the man at length on several occasions, and I never, ever remember reading anywhere or him telling me that he thought those were an improvement on the Shadows' version. You better check your sources! As far as I'm concerned, the less said about the arrows the better.... God damn gimmicks.... Twisted Evil

Ivan

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Goto Page: 1 2 Next