Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink Some inspiring eleki stuff

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 517 18 Next

Actually that comp has been out for several years. It contains all (except the two you mentioned) instros from the two 60s albums I mentioned above + 3 tunes from "All About Yuzo Kayama Vol. 2" as well as a 1994 re-recording of "Black Sand Beach". IMO the 3 instros from the "Vol. 2" album are less interesting than the ones on the two albums I have.

I recently discovered a great and at least to me unknown Kayama 60s instro called "Crow". Check out track 18 from the link below:

http://www.neowing.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=MUCD-1045

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas
Actually that comp has been out for several years.

Right--this was the new(er) one I mentioned.

http://www.reverbcentral.com/reviews/k/kayama5315.html

Which songs on the Black Sand Beach comp came off of which albums? I think the s/t album of his I have is cobbled together for a forgeign market. (The song titles are translated poorly into English and then into Spanish).

That sample of "Crow" is really cool--thanks for posting that!

-Warren

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

CaptainSpringfield
Which songs on the Black Sand Beach comp came off of which albums?

Exciting Sounds of Yuzo Kayama and the Launchers

The Angry Man ¤
Three Blue Stars
Running Donky
Crazy Driving
Demure Damsel

All About Yuzo Kayama

Black Sand Beach
Los Angeles No Nisei Matsuri ¤
Monkey Crazy ¤
Violet Sky

All About Yuzo Kayama Vol. 2

Hello Suzie
4 O'Clock
Kirisami No Hodo

¤ Instrumental not included on the "Black Sand Beach" compilation.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012 04:02:43

Found some information (kind of accidentally, but what the hell) on the Sharp Hawks--once the GS craze swept Eleki to the side, the Sharp Five became the backing band for a group of four singers called the Sharp Hawks.

Apparently the two groups split when the Hawks signed to another label in '67, after which the Sharp Hawks recruited new musicians and continued until '69.

-Warren

Thanks for the info on the Sharp Hawks. Will be very useful if I come across any of their recordings in the future.

As an addition to the posts about the Sharp Five signature guitar, here's a horrible looking Terry & Blue Jeans signature model of the otherwise nice looking Yamaha SGV. I assume this is from his romantic 70s/80s period Laughing

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas
As an addition to the posts about the Sharp Five signature guitar, here's a horrible looking Terry & Blue Jeans signature model of the otherwise nice looking Yamaha SGV. I assume this is from his romantic 70s/80s period Laughing

What frightens me is he probably wore a matching suit when he played it.

<Edit> Though I'd take that suit over Yuzo's short shorts as seen above. Shocked

-Warren

CaptainSpringfield
What frightens me is he probably wore a matching suit when he played it.

Something like this maybe? Laughing

Is that platform shoes? Shocked

The album cover is from a quite extensive discography site for Terry releases as well as Sharp Five stuff:

http://www.msato.net/Music/fmusic/terash2.html

Anyone familiar with the Terry album linked below? Although I have many of the included tracks on other releases, I've never heard his version of "Squad Car".

http://www.msato.net/Music/Cd/trsurf2.html

And what about "Kong of Surf Guitar"? Laughing

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas
Anyone familiar with the Terry album linked below? Although I have many of the included tracks on other releases, I've never heard his version of "Squad Car".

And what about "Kong of Surf Guitar"?

They're both on the "Let's Go Surfin" comp.

http://msato.net/Music/Cd/lets2.html

"Squad Car" is kind of low energy compared to most versions. At least that DD cover is an instro, though. The comp's pretty good, but some of the vocals are awful.

-Warren

Klas
Yuzo Kayama performing with the Ventures

Anyone know which record this is (the pic have the Liberty label logo so I assume it's a record)? Did Kayama actually record with the Ventures?
I asked this question to a friend of mine, Yuzo Sasaki- he is the edtior of a Japanese magazine called New Eleki Dynamica and has interviewed Nokie and Kayama many times. Here is his response:
Dear Mr. Ferenc
Yuzo Kayama played guitar with The Ventures on Japnese TV show in
1965. He has never done his recordings with them,you watched the photo of TV show maybe . I think he's been very friendly with Nokie for a long time,and sometimes played with him at live house in Tokyo.
thanks
Best Regards.
YUZO SASAKI

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

"Mr. Ferenc" is such a funny name.

CaptainSpringfield

Klas

And what about "Kong of Surf Guitar"?

They're both on the "Let's Go Surfin" comp.

http://msato.net/Music/Cd/lets2.html

"Squad Car" is kind of low energy compared to most versions. At least that DD cover is an instro, though. The comp's pretty good, but some of the vocals are awful.

I've been looking for that comp for quite a while without success. It's out of print but I was hoping to catch it on eBay. Surprising that Terry does a low energy version of such a tune as "Squad Car".

PolloGuitar

Klas

Klas
Yuzo Kayama performing with the Ventures

Anyone know which record this is (the pic have the Liberty label logo so I assume it's a record)? Did Kayama actually record with the Ventures?

I asked this question to a friend of mine, Yuzo Sasaki- he is the edtior of a Japanese magazine called New Eleki Dynamica and has interviewed Nokie and Kayama many times. Here is his response:

Dear Mr. Ferenc
Yuzo Kayama played guitar with The Ventures on Japnese TV show in
1965. He has never done his recordings with them,you watched the photo of TV show maybe . I think he's been very friendly with Nokie for a long time,and sometimes played with him at live house in Tokyo.
thanks
Best Regards.
YUZO SASAKI

Thanks for investigating it further. The answer isn't really surprising though as I would have been surprised if there actually were any released recordings. Still a bit strange with the Liberty logo showing up on the picture unless Kayama also was on the label? As for the TV show, I'm sure it would be awesome to watch but it's probably trashed as are so much other cool TV stuff from the 60s.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Not to dredge up a somewhat dead topic, but I picked up two Terauchi Takeshi LPs and wanted to post mini-reviews of them.

All About the Electric Guitar - Really cool cover and packaging, but unfortunately the album features a slightly, um, prominent orchestral backing. It works really well on "Malaguena," and to a lesser extent "Dark Eyes," but on most of the other songs it's fairly jarring. I think it came out in the late '60s.

Some of the arrangements are downright bizarre, too--"Walk Don't Run" sounds way more like a cheesy Vegas lounge band than it anything else, and "Caravan" has a neat muted-delay thing going on with the lead. On most of the songs Terry's playing isn't nearly as uncontrolled and weird as on his earlier albums--there's even an intricate fingerpicked solo piece that's really gorgeous ... until the orchestra comes blaring in near the end. On a whole it's a more strange album than good, but it is pretty interesting.

Manatsu No Umi Wo Buttobase - This is easily the surfiest eleki album I've heard. Terry's using more reverb than usual, and the all-instro album opens with covers of "Kickstand," "Surfin' USA" (which is incredible), "Surf Party" (inexplicably missing that double-picked part before the drum breaks), "Movin" and "Point Panic." It also has a much more raw version of "Bluejean #1" than the one on his Best Original Hits comp.

The keyboards are pushed way to the back on most of the songs, which definitely isn't a complaint, and Terry's guitar playing is really good throughout. The fuzz breaks on the Surfaris tune are a little grating, though. Stylstically it's pretty similar throughout (minus one impressive stab at exotica), and the three original songs are excellent. I really can't recommend this one enough. I also can't seem to find the artwork for it online, but the cover has a shot of Terry & band goofing around in knee-deep water holding surfboards.

-Warren

CaptainSpringfield
<i>All About the Electric Guitar</i>

I have that one too and I agree on your views. My main complaint would be that one can tell it's recorded in the late 60s. I much prefer the sound of a few years earlier. Funny with Terry in the bathtub on the backcover Laughing

<i>Manatsu No Umi Wo Buttobase</i>

Never heard of that album but I gotta have it! Where did you find it? Release year?

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas
Never heard of that album but I gotta have it! Where did you find it? Release year?

I got it on eBay--I've seen a few other copies pop up, but no one else bid on this one. It came out in 1972 on King records--SKA 19. It definitely doesn't sound like it's from the 70's, though. I had heard the album a year or so ago and figured it was from the mid 60's.

-Warren

Thinking a bit more about it, I actually think I've seen the album on eBay but ignored it because I could tell by the front cover pic that it was from the 70s. I will try to get it now though.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas
Thinking a bit more about it, I actually think I've seen the album on eBay but ignored it because I could tell by the front cover pic that it was from the 70s. I will try to get it now though.

I think you'll dig it a lot. The fuzztone on "Point Panic" and the exotica tune (which is really, really good) are the only things that give away the recording date. (Besides the cover.)

Here's the tracklist:

1. Kickstand
  2. Surfin' USA
  3. Surf Party
  4. Movin'
  5. Point Panic
  6. Surfboard Walk
  7. Django
  8. Bluejean No. 1
  9. Karelia
  10. Emma
  11. West Of Cocos
  12. Last Space Train
  13. Hearts Are Heart
  14. The Enchanted Sea

-Warren

Thanks for posting the tracklist. Looks very interesting indeed. I assume the exotica track you mentioned is Martin Denny's "The Enchanted Sea"?

BTW, what did you pay and what was the condition of the album? Some of the more rare Terry LPs often starts at $49.99 on eBay.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas
Thanks for posting the tracklist. Looks very interesting indeed. I assume the exotica track you mentioned is Martin Denny's "The Enchanted Sea"?

Yeah. "West of Cocos" (credited to Terry) falls into that category as well. Not sure why I forgot that while writing the review.

Klas
BTW, what did you pay and what was the condition of the album? Some of the more rare Terry LPs often starts at $49.99 on eBay.

I paid $20 plus shipping. The condition was listed as EX/EX--I doubt it had been played more than two or three times. It also came with a poster of Terry, which is cool, although it's definitely a 70's design. (The flames leaping off the guitar neck kind of gave that away.)

I'd seen it listed a few times before with higher opening bids, and each time it sold for a decent amount. The Rashomon LP usually pops up with a $50 opening bid, which is funny since it's not very good at all aside from the title track. (Which might be an adaptation of the film score. I'm not sure about that, though.)

-Warren

$20 sounds like a great score.

As for more surfy than usual eleki sounds, here's The Spacemens' mid '60s version of Hot Doggin'. Although the rhythm guitar has no reverb and a different rhythm, the first section is very similar to the Astronauts' version while the second section has a somewhat different arrangement.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas
As for more surfy than usual eleki sounds, here's The Spacemens' mid '60s version of Hot Doggin'.

Cool--thanks for posting that. The slight change in the melody threw me at first. I love the drums, too.

Is that the same Spacemen as Nobuo Kamei's band? Because that cover is way more interesting than anything on their Elec Dynamica album.

-Warren

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 517 18 Next