Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink siboney

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

I'm listening to the excellent LP (that's right folks, vinyl) 'The Other Chet Atkins' and the 4th song is an excellent performance of 'Siboney'. Am I imagining it, or is (are) there a surf version (s) of this very cool latin melody?

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Chet Atkin's version of Siboney is great. Somewhere on the web I found tablature for it. I know I've heard surf versions of it before, but I don't remember who it was. Perhaps the Tomorrow Men can do the definitive surf rendition?

Johnny Fortune did a great version, though I don't know if his was the first "surf" cover or not.

-Warren

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

note to Mel, there's a great version of Tzena,Tzena, Tzena on the LP as well.

Danny Snyder

_

CaptainSpringfield
Johnny Fortune did a great version, though I don't know if his was the first "surf" cover or not.

-Warren

Damn warren you've been impressing me with your surf/instro trivia lately. I bet if I was into surf when I was in my late teens, ealry 20's instead of Metal/alternative/grunge I would have been Like Phil Dirt or John Blair by now, ha ha ha.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Anyone who hasn't heard Johnny Fortune's version of Siboney MUST do so now. I haven't heard the Chet Atkins version, but I know that Johnny Fortune's cut is one of my all time favorite surf recordings. I love his sound and style in general, but Siboney is just incomparably gorgeous in his hands. I personally could not recommend it enough.

Damn, you guys!! Right before the tour I gave copies of this song to the rest of the band to learn to record for the next CD - and now you're all talking about it! Shocked Nobody better cover it before us!! Evil Wink

I know of one other instro-rock version (though not surf), but I ain't telling! Mr. Green It's even better than Johnny Fortune's....

Ivan

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

I am showing my ignorance here...is this the same song the Hellbenders covered?

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Ivan, if it were anyone else, I'd tell them to choke on their own amniotic fluid, but for you, I'll humbly remain merely an admirer of the song.

Now, about my cover of Rogue Wave.....

Danny Snyder

_

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006 10:18:44

well...the Hellbenders do a swell version of "Siboney"...

but, I think the tune is a big band nor traditional number from way back...I wonder who did the original???

I thought it was a traditional Mexican song. I don't remember my source for that info, though. Confused

The Volcanos

The song was originally written (for piano?) by Cuban composer Ernesto Lecuona, who also wrote Malagena and The Breeze and I, which get much more surf play.

wooza
The song was originally written (for piano?) by Cuban composer Ernesto Lecuona, who also wrote Malagena and The Breeze and I, which get much more surf play.

wow! thanks for the info...Lecuona sounds like a GENIUS to me...those are some of my favourite tunes...ever...I'll definately have to look into his works and life story...

-dp

IvanP
Damn, you guys!! Right before the tour I gave copies of this song to the rest of the band to learn to record for the next CD - and now you're all talking about it!...

I'm laughing out loud!...I sure like seeing Ivan getting all riled-up! He's usually such a mellow fellow...but, in this post he sounds like some sort of awesome creative genius, or something! Well, you all know what they say about those incredible high-energy Stratocaster playing economics proffesors...always going off-deep-end striving relentlessly for ever-greater heights of reverberated glissando perfection and bliss and all that...

by the way: I was seriously thinking about learning that tune,too... the melody is haunting...

Maybe I can record a dp home demo of it before the Madiera can get it together???

Wink

-dp

ps: you know, I'm just kidding...I can't wait to hear what those ultra-cool cats over in Madiera-land end up doing with this awesome tune!

From Reverb Central, written by Phil Dirt:

Ernesto Lecuona: "Lecuona Plays Lecuona"
Label: RCA CD

Cuban composer Ernesto Lecuona has contributed many fine melodies to surf and the music word at large. In 1955, RCA brought him from Cuba to New York to record this album. He plays 18 of his own songs on solo piano. The music is stunningly seductive. No, it's not surf, but sometimes you just need to go back to the source to appreciate just how special surf music is.

Picks: Malaguena, Andalucia, San Francisco El Grande, Maria La O, Siboney, Noche Azul, La Comparsa, Danza Lucumi, Damisela Encantadora

"Malaguena"

"Malaguena" is often reduced to an extraction of a couple of bars. In complete form, the emotional content is much higher, and the shear beauty of the song overwhelming. Ernesto Lecuona is not just a fine writer, he also plays piano very well.

"Andalucia"

Another song that has often been covered by surfbands is "Andalucia," more commonly known as "The Breeze and I." In Ernesto Lecuona's own hand, it's quite different. faster and more fanciful, the song takes on a playful and flighty sound.

"Ante El Escorial"

"Ante El Escorial" is a dramatic and romantic song with a kind of piano bar feel, yet it's much more classical than that. Haunting and dynamic.

"San Francisco El Grande"

"San Francisco El Grande" moves slowly along a dramatically intense line, much like "Malaguena" or "The Breeze and I," but more delicate. Quite beautiful.

"Siempre En Mi Corazon"

This seems less interesting, though it seems to foreshadow Ferrante and Teischer in some respects. It has a kind of "Autumn Leaves" quality to it.

"Maria La O"

Moody with an exotic edge, like a gypsy caravan. Moody and slightly sad, yet compellingly beautiful with a sense of fate unavoidable being lifted by the light of dawn. Excellent!

"Siboney"

many a surfband has covered "Siboney," starting with Johnny Fortune. Big, dramatic, rolling, sad, and very emotional. This is really quite something.

"Noche Azul"

A lot like parts of "Andalucia," "Noche Azul" moves with an optimistic sadness. Delicate and fluid, and full of emotion.

"La Comparsa"

A gentle rhythm of the Middle east runs on the bass keys while a delicate and breezy melody line floats over the top. Mysterious and wistful, with a haunting attractiveness.

"Danza Negra"

"Danza Negra" is a very emotional and dramatic song with an almost stiff meter. The keyboard seems to want to be a harpsichord, yet the tone is acoustic piano. Quite unusual.

"Danza Lucumi"

A kind of Hugo Winterhalter feeling emotes from "Danza Lucumi" as Ernesto Lecuona plays piano beautifully. A sad, slightly wintery image evolves from the keyboard.

"La Antigua"

"La Antigua" is almost morose in it's emotionalism, yet is delicate and fluid. Moody almost to the point of depressing. You'll need a hanky on this one.

"En Tres Por Cuatro"

Big drama, approaching pompous. Not very melodic if you're expecting "Malaguena," but attractive nonetheless.

"Canto Del Guajiro"

Snow gently falls on the city grounds inside the wall, but outside the gates of the palace. Gypsies and gentry collide in a ballet of deception. Quite interesting in a thematic film score way.

"La Habanera"

"La Habanera" is the sort of piano piece that can run easily in a dinning room while guests ignore every note. Not meaningless at all, but not commanding of your attention either.

"Damisela Encantadora"

This is a more playful song, with a childish prance about it that coexists with a mature fatalism. It has an innocence about it, a non-recognition of the burdens of life.

"Crisantemo"

Soft and brook-like, "Crisantemo" just rolls off the keys in a variation on a theme of gentle rain and a fireside read.

"Romantico"

the title says it - sorta - "Romantico" is romantic, but not beautiful in the sense of alluring preludes to romance. It's more about the ups and downs of the heart.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

^^^ WOW!!! WOW!!! WOW!!! ^^^

Man, it's like an early Christmas around here!

Thanks Ivan (and Phil Dirt) for all the cool Lecuona info...

appreciatively,
-dp

dp
well...the Hellbenders do a swell version of "Siboney"...

Ahh, damn, I forgot about the Hellbenders! (I really love that CD, too! I can't believe I forgot about that version...)

Oh, well, this particular cat seems to be out of the bag - and no way to get it back in the bag! So, hell, Danny, knock yourself out with the TomorrowMen! Go for it. I'm sure we'll have different arrangements, anyway... And it's such a brilliant song it really deserves to be better known in the surf circles.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

the Vara-tones version of Siboney is killer as well

Shawn Martin
http://www.drummerman.net
http://www.youtube.com/GKacedrummerman
http://www.facebook.com/drumuitar

VARA-TONES!!!! That's where I heard it! Thanks.

Danny Snyder

_

Wow, apparently I'm pretty out of the loop on all these other versions. I've gotta go get my hands and ears on them.

Goto Page: 1 2 Next