Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Photos - HB Surf Museum Concert

Page 1 of 1

Another great show, perfect weather in the high 70's, a nice breeze & no humidity. The Madeira took all the nasty weather home with them.

Pollo Del Mar delights the crowd.

Dusty Watson of Slacktone welcomes everyone.

Dave Wronski's insane setup. 2 reverb tanks! GASP

Slacktone tearing it up.

Slacktone inspires the wheel chair bound to walk again. Benny Hinn has nothing on Slacktone. (Note: The guy in the wheel chairs pants fell to his ankles when he stood up.)

The Bells of St. Kahuna.

CHUM shreds. These guys are great. If you go see them, just make sure the guitar players knows the difference between the Huntington Beach Pier & Santa Monica Pier. He showed up a bit late, they killed!

Some non local knuckleheads acted up & met HBPD up close & personal. Are those man boobs in the background?

Mac "Outer Wave", John "Lively Ones" & Bill "Glasgow Tiki Shakers" discuss the non musical local talent. They agreed that "man boobs" are no bueno.

Outer Wave takes us all back to 1962 with their classic reverb drenched retro sound. Baja Marty at foot of stage gets drenched.

Mac rips on Miserlou.
http://i4.tinypic.com/23upuuo.jpg

"Outer Wave rules man! Bring back The Madeira!!"
http://i6.tinypic.com/23upp40.jpg

Last edited: Aug 09, 2006 15:17:26

Those are terrific! Very Happy

I forgot my camera today. Sad

-Kristena

"Turn the knob to 10 and break it off!" -Baja Marty

it's a bit hard to make out, but ... where's Jono? ... and why is Ferenc wearing Dave Wrosnki's clothes? and why is Jeff wearing a wig????? Shocked

... cool pics though!

HBkahuna
Pollo Del Mar delights the crowd.

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

Thanks for the great images HBkahuna!

I hate to sound like some slack-jawed yokel, but those ocean views are incredible. How long has the International Surfing Museum been putting on these shows?

Wow.

Wow.

Wow.

Why do I live in Iowa? Look at that view! Do you guys take that for granted? My jaw is wide open.

So was that Sam with a haircut? Or did Slacktone have a sub?

Who is John "Lively Ones"? Is he from the Lively Ones?

Thanks for posting the pics.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

To answer a few of the questions:

The Huntington Beach International Surfing Museum has been having these concerts every summer for well over 10 years. Almost every Sunday there is a concert at the beach or museum. Around 40 different bands will play this summer. Linda Miller from the museum deserves the credit for this.

John currently plays with the original Lively Ones who did Surf Rider which was in Pulp Fiction. The Lively One have 3 original members bu rarely play. Their appearance at the Surf Museum can be heard at www.octaneradio.com. John also played with the Surfaris.

Sam was in Idaho with D.D. Dave W. had a friend from his Jon & the Nightrider days fill in on bass. He was excellent.>

As far as taking it for granted, some people may. I have lived in Surf City most of my life. It's not perfect but I feel fortunate to live here & live so close to this very enjoyable event.. I tried to capture the feel of the event in the pics I posted.

HBkahuna
Sam was in Idaho with D.D. Dave W. had a friend from his Jon & the Nightrider days fill in on bass. He was excellent.

Nikki Syxx?

Again, thanks for posting the great photos. Would you mind if I used one for the photo of the day? I love that one that has the view of the ocean behind it.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian,

You are welcome to use any of my pics anytime. Im kind of fond of Slacktone willing the crippled to walk but I agree the beach scene captures to flavor of the event. Here are a few more.

HB

There is one in every crowd. In HB there was two.

Backstage.

J.R & Alan of Outer Wave. Check J.R.'s vintage Jazzmaster, Dual Showman & reverb tank! It sounds awesome!!

Last edited: Aug 07, 2006 14:22:26

blah blah nothing

http://www.satanspilgrims.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Satans-Pilgrims/8210228553
https://satanspilgrims.bandcamp.com/
http://www.surfyindustries.com

Last edited: Aug 07, 2006 16:46:46

That is Linda Miller who books the surf bands for the shows. She booked 40 bands this summer. It would be awesome to see Satans Pilgrims play next summer.

Last edited: Aug 07, 2006 23:31:42

to answer a few questions also,
and not to step on Tim(HB Kahuna's) toes.
But John Benton from the Lively Ones isn't an original member.
I believe he was 13 or 14 back in the 60's surf craze, and said he went to some shows. I think he may have been in a band in his youth, but I'll ask if they were big or not. I don't think so. But he rips it up on rhythm, and occasional lead in the Lively Ones now.

I don't take any surf shows in So. Cal. for Granted(especially the 5 band shows at the HB Pier). We truely are blessd here. That's why I go to so many. To get on my soap box, there may be a day that there aren't as many otr any shows at all. I missed the 80's and early 90's surf shows so I'm trying to make up for it, and also , ( in a funny way) go for all you who can't be there, ( wish you all could.)
Somebody asked me, How can Brian be such a huge surf fan and live wher he does. I said I didn't have an answer. I'd love to Live in Hawaii, but there is no or hardly any surf bands there, and I'd go stir crazy. I can't live by surf cd's alone. Must get raw live energy.

Most of the surf shows in HB are at the Museum, with 1 band playing 2 45 min sets. or 2 bands playing 1 set each. 3 times a year Linda Gets
a pier show, and books 5 bands on it. Used to be 4 bands from noon till 5, but I suggested since they took away 1 sun pier show, she add 1 band to each of the other 3 shows.

The New fill in Bass player for Slacktone (Steve) played on the last 3 Jon and the Nightriders shows, before they broke up in 86.
I believe Dave said he was playing with him also in the early 90's before slacktone started.
They did a live radio show recently, and Sam couldn't make it. Steve
told Dave he had all the slacktone cd's and knew the stuff liek the back of his hand. I think they played the radio show without a practice, and Dusty
said damn dude your in if we need a fill in. It's funny I said to my friends it looks like he should be in Suicidal Tendencies.
I met him on Sat after the Mission Tiki Drive in show, and told him I was a big Slacktone Fan, and a Bass player, and he filled Sams shoes very well.

I think that about covers it.
Great Pix Tim, thanks for posting, I kinda wish I had a camera at shows, but it's nice to go and socialize, and not worry about documenting it.

Jeff(bigtikidude)
p.s. I was rollin laughin when I heard that Rory from the INfrareds/CHUM went to the Santa Monica Pier, instead of HB. That's like 40 or more miles North, too funny. poor guy, I felt bad, but not that much Wink

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Thanks for filling in the blanks BTD....

Thanks for posting these pics!
Did yu happen to get a picture of the cop questioning the guy with the Endless Summer style Hawaiian shirt. Clearly they thought he stole it... they looked at the tag, pulled on the fabric, checked his ID. Then finally, released the suspect so he could go back and watch the music. That was weird.
--fd

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

During a recent show at the museum, a woman took an Endless Summer shirt from inside the museum. She was caught on video. As you don't see these shirts everyday, there was some suspicion that this was the stolen shirt. I spoke with the chairman of the museum yesterday. It turns out that the guy is a member of the museum & bought the shirt in Bakersfield. It was not the stolen shirt. Here is the guy enjoying the show.

Thanks for coming to Surf City & entertaining us. It is fantastic that the talented musicians like you come here year after year to entertain us. It is greatly appreciated.

HBkahuna
During a recent show at the museum, a woman took an Endless Summer shirt from inside the museum. She was caught on video. As you don't see these shirts everyday, there was some suspicion that this was the stolen shirt.

You would have to be a complete idot to steal that shirt, then wear it to the beach event. I mean, you could see that shirt a mile a way...

Thanks for coming to Surf City & entertaining us. It is fantastic that the talented musicians like you come here year after year to entertain us. It is greatly appreciated.

Our pleasure. Playing at the Peir is a highlight of our tour every year. We had great shows in Marina Del Rey, San Diego, El Segundo and HB. Las Vegas sucked this year. Bands, don't even bother with the Dive Bar, they do absolutely nothing to promote shows and pay the bands less than a tank of gas, after feeding ya the ole' "Thursday nights are usually pretty hot, I don't know what happened".
--fd

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

My eyes are SO GREEN right now....

The weather, the warmth (of the people aswell). You're so lucky.

Sad

This is the perfect shot ,surf music by SLACKTONE on the beach in
Surf city USA in the summer time .Doesn't get any cooler than that ! People
from all over the world envy this kinda shit we take for granted.
Thanks for the photo bro. SR

Page 1 of 1