Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Some random mini-reviews

Page 1 of 1

We need more reviews people! Here are some to get the discussion started. Smile

Los Kahunas: "Otro Reverberante Encuentro Con..." This has much better production than their first CD (which I felt took away from the power and aggression they are capable of). Here the band sounds much more fuller and powerful. However the album has a surprising amount of somewhat pedestrian covers. Also, the 2 guitar interplay (ala Bambi Molesters) from the first CD seems to be gone (personnel change?). However the few originals are quite good. I listened to this several times in the car on my long trip and I did enjoy it overall. A solid but not too surprising surf release that any surf fan should enjoy.

The Exotics: I finally got a copy from jp. This came out in 1996 and has long been out of print. I love this album, it is so much fun. The guitar tones and songs aren't always what you would call "trad-surf" but they have several home runs like Sandoway and Jetsetter that are true keepers and worth the price of admission alone. Very emotional, melodic, and upbeat stuff. A great party record.

The Tormentos: Grab Your Board! Really traditional first wave surf sound with tons of reverb. This is a great album full of nicely done originals and solid covers. The album starts out very strongly and kind of gets weaker near the end (I didn't care for the female vocal song), but on repeated listenings I changed my mind a bit. This is one of the best things I have picked up recently. If you like very trad-style surf and Satan's Pilgrims this disc will make you very happy.

Mighty Surf Lords: This CD surprised me a little bit as I wasn't too fond of what I heard on myspace. I did enjoy several of the songs. My favorite is probably Six Gun Surfer which as you might imagine from the title is spaghetti western influenced. Some of the other songs have somewhat of an ambient feel, very sparse. If you like some of the early Mermen stuff you may dig this. The production is a bit uneven and raw, but I think Billy is on to something original and his next album should be worth watching for.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008 08:12:58

For an example of what I thought was a good Los Kahunas original, check out their myspace page:

http://www.myspace.com/loskahunassurfinstro

I like the song 6G15 a lot.

Creol Plays The Hits Of The Shadows - Atlantis is cool

When Guitars Ruled by Echoes - Apache & Theme For Young Lovers are really good (also neat equipment on the cover)

High Tide by The Revelaires - great version of Hawaii Five-O

Live Bird '65-'66! by The Trashmen - Malaguena & Baja in a different key (great rhythm beat)

Paul

Paul

And both Sandoway and Jetsetter are on the Exotics myspace page:

http://profile.myspace.com/theexotics

I like the internet.

I really like that slightly over-driven guitar tone on Sandoway.

Thanks Brian,
Keep listening to that MSL CD, it will grow on you in strange ways...

We are ready for our S. Cal tour in June
www.myspace.com/themightysurflords
gives you all the dates and whereabouts...

See you all at the SG101 convention!
Billy Woods

The Mighty Surf Lords- Sparks,Nv.
"Praise The Lords"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHTDYfy0xM8
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mightysurflords

O BTW- It's Six Gun Surfer...lol

The Mighty Surf Lords- Sparks,Nv.
"Praise The Lords"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHTDYfy0xM8
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mightysurflords

EDIT: MOVED TO A NEW THREAD

SSIV

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008 05:38:25

MightySurfLords
O BTW- It's Six Gun Surfer...lol

Sorry. Fixed.

LHR
Good idea! I will also throw another possibly lesser-known record into the mix: The Original Onions "Grill Skills".

This has stayed in medium rotation for me for awhile now, and I highly recommend it. I found this (now broken up) band from Columbus, Ohio when I was in what I'll call my "rebellious Aqua Velvets" phase Very Happy Searching for something positively surf but a little different and maybe modern. I took a serious listen to what I now consider some great acts: Laika and The Cosmonauts, Mermen, Man or Astroman, Pollo Del Mar, Slacktone, etc., etc....and the Original Onions.

It is not a first wave clone band by any means but do not let that stop you. And although, it may not have the "edge" or "hot-licks" virtuosity of some of the bands I mentioned previously, it is indeed a sublime record. The playing, compositions, arrangements, and sonics are all top flight. (Interesting choice of cover tunes in there as well.)

Oh, and the best part, is that band has generously made the entire album freely-available at archive.org. Get it while you can HERE.

LHR,

That was "VEEEEEEERRRY INTERESTING!!" I liked what they did with Harlem Nocturne. But their "ONIONS in SPACE," that was really different
with a crossover of Surf, New Wave, with just a smidge of Punk to it. Rock

.......make the Mos' of it,
.....choose the 'rite stuff!
.........owner of 9 Mosrites
proud owner and documented:
1963 "The Ventures" Model s/n# 0038
http://www.vintagerock4.com
www.mosriteforum.com

Thanks for the kind words Brian. The guitar setup that Paul used on Sandoway is a 90 or 91 american strat into an ampeg jet II reissue and an original ts9. The lead guitar on the rest of the CD is an early 90s american strat and a 70s es335 with duncan phat cat pickups and a bigsby through a hot rodded twin reverb and a ts9 or a ts10. The bass was a Jerry Jones longhorn and a Frankenstein P-Bass with a 70s musicman stingray pickup both recorded direct. I remember clearly because that was all the gear that we had back then.

The secret track was a tune from our 3 song 7" that we made when we first started out played through a super old tube driven portable record player. about as lo-fi as you can get.

The Exotics 1994-Current
The Chickenshack - www.wmse.org
www.thedoghouseflowers.com
www.uptownsavages.com

Page 1 of 1