Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Favorite surf guitar

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 765 66 Next

CaptainSpringfield
If bashing both Strats and Dire Straits <i>doesn't</i> bring Ivan out of lurk mode ...

-Warren

Where was Dire Straits bashed? I love Dire Straits and Knopfler's solo stuff.

Klas
The reasons I prefer a Jag or a JM over a Strat is not necessary because of more appealing sound, looks or playability but rather because I today associate the Stratocaster too much with dreary artists such as Mark Knopfler.

Might be mistake to diss an axe 'cause some artist you don't like uses it. Actually, Knopfler has a huge guitar collection, not just Strats (GP mag a few years back had an article about him and mentioned his collection). Also, it's sorta like that old slogan: Guns don't kill people, people do. Substitute "guns" with "guitars"... Smile

~ J

I really like the Stratocaster but I would like it even more if I didn't associate it with dreary artists such as Mark Knopfler. Or Eric Clapton.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

LBOPdot_Net_
Might be mistake to diss an axe 'cause some artist you don't like uses it. Actually, Knopfler has a huge guitar collection, not just Strats (GP mag a few years back had an article about him and mentioned his collection). Also, it's sorta like that old slogan: Guns don't kill people, people do. Substitute "guns" with "guitars"... Smile

~ J

And then substitute "make tone" for "kill people". Now it's about right. Very Happy

unlunf

MY RIGHT HAND IS FASTER THAN YOURS!
(copyright 2003, Bruce Welch)

unlunf
And then substitute "make tone" for "kill people". Now it's about right. Very Happy

Yes, that's very good. Actually..."kill" in the original expression was intended to mean "kill" in a good sense as in "Joe Guitar Hero played a killer solo and the crowd went nutso." Cool

~J

The Danlectro Hodad has a nice amount of twang...of course, I have a special place in my heart for the cheapo surf guitar.

Klas
I really like the Stratocaster but I would like it even more if I didn't associate it with dreary artists such as Mark Knopfler. Or Eric Clapton.

Although we disagree on guitars, you got good taste in music...I hate the Strat more becasue of its association with the above artists (not saying they can't play, btw).

DP - I have a Hodad, very good for a Dano, but the output is low and the sound pretty nasaly. I did end up using it for recording one song and one intro, and that by itself was worth it for me. As mentioned a few posts up, right tool for the right job.

Ran

P.S. I should get an avatar that has a strat with a "no" cross on it.

The Scimitars

kickthe_reverb_

Klas

Although we disagree on guitars, you got good taste in music...I hate the Strat more becasue of its association with the above artists (not saying they can't play, btw).

P.S. I should get an avatar that has a strat with a "no" cross on it.

So, Ran, since I like both of those guys - and many, many more who I'm sure both Klas and you would find very 'vintage incorrect' (of course as well as the Strat, the evil classic rock guitar) - does that mean I have bad taste in music? Shocked

Ivan

PS Among two of Knopfler's biggest influences: The Fireballs and the Shadows. he's talked about them many times.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Knopfler did two great recordings with Hank. Wonderful Land and Nivram. As I said before I really dig Knopfler as a guitarist. I feel he might just be a better lyricist and that is saying something. I just love Knopflers unique style. You don't really hear other people playing like him.

And I like Clapton. People badmouth him all the time. The guy is a damn good musician. Granted he has the 80s to answer for but he has good stuff in every other decade. His Derek and the Dominos albums is on of my top two albums ever. Can anyone guess the other?

IvanP

kickthe_reverb_
(not saying they can't play, btw).

So, Ran, since I like both of those guys - and many, many more who I'm sure both Klas and you would find very 'vintage incorrect' (of course as well as the Strat, the evil classic rock guitar) - does that mean I have bad taste in music? Shocked

Ivan

PS Among two of Knopfler's biggest influences: The Fireballs and the Shadows. he's talked about them many times.

Hey hey, never take my posts regarding to personal taste too seriously...and I'm far from being very concerned about "vintage incorrect". You can re-read the long post I had a few pages ago about how I admit that you proved that many of the (or my) guitar heroes used strats.
You might have a much broader tastse then me, as does my good friend BigTikiDude (as does my wife ). I tend to be more narrow minded, and I'm aware of it.
I'm the first to admit someone is a good player. In fact, most musicians I see are good players, but that doesn't mean I like what they write or their style. Even if they are influenced by someone I like (e.g. The Shadows).

Getting back to the strat - not an evil classic rock guitar, just an all around good guitar, that can be used for good, evil, or for boring stuff.
I tend to not like "all-around-good", and prefer things that are a little different. I suspect the strat will always win these poles, after all, that's what most people play today, and what a lot played before the birth of "classic rock".

Ran

P.S. - we'll talk more about personal tastes in July

The Scimitars

LBOPdot_Net_

unlunf

Yes, that's very good. Actually..."kill" in the original expression was intended to mean "kill" in a good sense as in "Joe Guitar Hero played a killer solo and the crowd went nutso." Cool

~J

LB,

True, what you said, I didn't think of the meaning you had in mind. Surprised

OTOH, I'm from the Bugs Henderson School of Tone - quoth the Great Man hisownself: "Don't you get it, kid? It ain't the rig, it's the man behind the pick!"

I get a kick out of all those new Boss, Digitech and various boutique pedals that purport to "give you XYZ's famous tone, just kick the footswitch, and you're indistinguishable from XYZ." Yeah, right. Particularly since almost nobody famous uses any kind of pedal or effect, they just plug in and go. Yes, some of them do, but you can bet your lederhosen that they don't use a pedal named after them! Shocked Very Happy

unlunf

MY RIGHT HAND IS FASTER THAN YOURS!
(copyright 2003, Bruce Welch)

After starting with a sunburst Jaguar in 1964, I've tried a 100 different guitars.....I've finally settled on a Mosrite repro in pearl white....modified with NOS US made Bakersfield Mosrite pickups and US made pots and switches. After using several originals I've found that the repros quality is just as good if not better....AND, I'm not out gigging with a $4000 guitar and worrying about it! While I do like the Jaguars, I've found that the Mosrite is a lot more versitile....although you can't get the distinctive Jaguar sound, the choices on the Mosrite are plenty enough for most anything I play. My stage backup is a MIJ Fiesta Red Jag with US pickups.

JakeDobner
Knopfler did two great recordings with Hank. Wonderful Land and Nivram. As I said before I really dig Knopfler as a guitarist. I feel he might just be a better lyricist and that is saying something. I just love Knopflers unique style. You don't really hear other people playing like him.

And I like Clapton. People badmouth him all the time. The guy is a damn good musician. Granted he has the 80s to answer for but he has good stuff in every other decade. His Derek and the Dominos albums is on of my top two albums ever. Can anyone guess the other?

wheels of fire?

i saw knopfler last summer and it was a great show. (i personally like all of the old clapton stuff over the post layla stuff) carol

www.surfintheeye.com

Last edited: Mar 14, 2006 08:00:46

unlunf
Particularly since almost nobody famous uses any kind of pedal or effect, they just plug in and go.
unlunf

??????
I am tring to think of a guitarist that DOESN'T use an effect. Reverb, echo, tremelo are all effects. Hmmm... maybe Richie Podolar who reportedly plugged his guitar into the sound board
fd

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

This is more of a test post for me than anything, but I gotta say that after having access to and fiddling around with a number of different guitars for a while, the Jazzmaster is my favorite.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

momsurfing_

JakeDobner

wheels of fire?

i saw knopfler last summer and it was a great show. (i personally like all of the old clapton stuff over the post layla stuff) carol

Tsar Wars is my other favorite album.

As for guitarist who don't use effects. I would assume there are some blues musicians who dont' use any effects. Granted their amps are teeny and cranked up all the way to give them ample overdrive. Can natural overdrive be considered an effect?

I don't know if natural overdrive can be considered an effect, though maybe to some it would be...Imo, yes, and no.

I recently read an interview in GW about B.B. King...King said, "I only used an electronic foot pedal once....on Lucille Talks Back. I had one of them wah wah pedals, but I never used it onstage, too much trouble"

Though, I think King has used reverb in the studio and onstage, whether rack mount or built-in, I personally don't know, but he probably used both I would think. At any rate, King hasn't used many effects in his career. I think King is one of those "bare-bones" players, the sound truly comes from his hands.

~Ace

I'm Batman...No not <I>that</I> Batman. :p

Acehaze
I don't know if natural overdrive can be considered an effect,
the sound truly comes from his hands.

~Ace

okay, here's my completly personal thought on this...

I'd say, sound is moving air .... there's a whole chain of things that eventually cause the air to move in the end, and it's rather fluid and random what you call effect and what you call instrument. I mean, a guitar doesn't make sound, it causes electrical sine wave. ... amp, effects and speaker (hell, and long cables) ALL manipulate the sine wave in one way or another. so IF you define the original sine wave form the guitar as 'the sound of the instrument' than every stage after that is to be considered an 'effect' cause they not only amplify but also manipulate the waveshape.
however, if you don't call just the original sinewave the instrument, than every stage after that is both effect and part of the instrument I guess. doesn't really matter what size box it is in. there is not really any good reason to call an OD pedal an effect and overdriven amp an instrument. I think most every effect can be produced without effect. The cure for example (say they) use hardly any phasers, flangers and chorusus in the studio - all done by double tracking and detuning/panning (I read that some years ago, might not apply anymore)

here's some more mindbogglers to the topic:
- sax players use a file (sp?) to roughen up the inside of their mouthpiece to get a more raw distorted sax tone. effect or instrument?
- taping a drum set to get rid of some boing - effect or instrument?
- doubletracking to get natural chorus - effect or instrument?
- singing while pinching your nose - effect or instrument?

in the end, what it boils down to is whether you like the sound produced. But that, of course, is an entirly differnet question!

btw, the sound doesn't come form his hands, bb king does not produce the same sound if he plays a strat through a marshall. of course he will still sound like bbking, and get good tones out of it, but not the same tones. and, if some joker were to play on bb kings rig, he would probably not sound like bb king at all, also very true. but to say the sound comes from his hands and not his instrument, well man, Í think your in trouble with Lucille now Wink

WR

my two cents

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

WR
btw, the sound doesn't come form his hands, bb king does not produce the same sound if he plays a strat through a marshall. of course he will still sound like bbking, and get good tones out of it, but not the same tones. and, if some joker were to play on bb kings rig, he would probably not sound like bb king at all, also very true. but to say the sound comes from his hands and not his instrument, well man, Í think your in trouble with Lucille now Wink

Certainly, gear factors into the equation...but a smaller part than the "hands". Maybe 30% Gear and 70% Hands. Guys can buy the Digitech Hendrix pedal but it won't guarantee they'll sound like Hendrix reincarnated. Similarly, a bassist may obtain a vintage 'de-fretted 63 Fender Jazz bass, but he ain't gonna sound like Jaco.:roll:

~ J

Well... since I have all the listed guitars (plus MAAAANY more), I like to think that I can make my claim based on educated comparison.

For me it's Mosrite, hands down. It has "the" tone, easy playability, and all that jazz. I love my Jag too, and find that to be the backup that I reach for most frequently. The JM is sweet, and sounds like butta, but for some reason I just can't get 100% comfortable playing it like I have with some of the other guitars, and I don't know why. I've had the same guy set up all of my guitars, and have the exact same strings on the JM as the Jag, but something just isn't there 100%. I love it and all, and use it frequently nonetheless, but it's just not exactly the same as the others.

~B~

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 765 66 Next