Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Opinions Needed

Page 1 of 1

I play in a surf band called "Los SuperAvengers" and I wanted to ask everyone's opinion here on how we sound,look,any one's ideas for us,etc.
we hear alot of good things from fans and the crowd, we are still pretty new, but I always want to know what our fellow peers and commrades think of us.
check out our myspace and write me back with you opinion, I'd love to hear it! Smile

www.myspace.com/lossuperavengers

"If Everyone In America Gave A Homless Guy A Dollar Dbl Cheeseburger, The World Would Be A Better Place."

Hey Charlie,

Me Like!!! I really liked the way you guys did the different time signature
run in "Postal Assassin." Lulu's Lullaby was pretty kewl too!! Rock

.......make the Mos' of it,
.....choose the 'rite stuff!
.........owner of 9 Mosrites
proud owner and documented:
1963 "The Ventures" Model s/n# 0038
http://www.vintagerock4.com
www.mosriteforum.com

thanks Very Happy Feel free to add us to your myspace if you have one!

"If Everyone In America Gave A Homless Guy A Dollar Dbl Cheeseburger, The World Would Be A Better Place."

This post has been removed by the author.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009 17:05:04

Zak,
don't let Kristena hear you say that.
Rolling Eyes Wink
she'll razz you forever.

but yeah I've never seen the whole thing about the masks either.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I like what I hear.

I do have to agree with Zak and bigtikidude though, the masks dampen how much I'm able to enjoy it, as sad as that seems.

The music is top notch though. That should be the important part, images can come and go.

http://about.me/nicholaus.lee

I wasn't going to listen because the name, wrestling masks, and what I later learned to be tuxedo shirts... but, I saw you guys were from Austin, Texas the hometown of one of my favorite bands so I gave Lulu's Lullaby a listen. I liked it. Could be recorded and mixed better. Of course that depends on how you recorded it.

we got rid of the Tuxedo Shirts along time ago lol, and the real reason I set up this review is I've been considering ditching the masks, we originally started off as a LSJ tribute band, but later decided to start writing our own material, so in a sense we are under a reformation as far as image goes, keep the comments flowing, they really are a big help and thanks Very Happy

ps our recordings are recorded through a 4 track digital recorder, they are low quality, but we still like them, we are saving up to record our first full length in late spring.

"ROCK ON!" Rock

.......make the Mos' of it,
.....choose the 'rite stuff!
.........owner of 9 Mosrites
proud owner and documented:
1963 "The Ventures" Model s/n# 0038
http://www.vintagerock4.com
www.mosriteforum.com

I'm not into the masks either but if that helps to generate interest from their local crowd.....go for it.

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Gimmicks are always a good thing give the crowd a show keep their attention rock on dudes cool tunes too bravo Thumbs Up
F$ck what others say do what you wanna do have fun , if you have fun the crowd has fun Rock Twisted Evil

-Kyle

Beyond The Surf YouTube channel
Beyond The Surf Instagram
The Verbtones @ Instagram
The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

i really like your music! and about the masks..well i rellay dont likes those but it doesnt matter what i think. it only matter what your fans think. its not easy to come up with something original.
anywho, the most important thing here is the music, and your music rocks!(with or without the masks)

The reality is that we do not wash our own laundry - it just gets dirtier.

www.myspace.com/tumbleweedofsurf

yeah, it could be mixed better, but the songs are really good.

also, what size strings are you using? they sound real thin to me...

i also don't hear much drip, but it still sounds good. im assuming you don't have fender reverb units?

and yeah, ditch the masks...i think matching outfits is a must for a surf band, just some up with something different...

The Tremblors on Facebook!

The Tremblors on MySpace!

Yeah, I hope that's not your final recording for those songs because the tunes are great, sound quality BAAAD

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

these are NOT the final recordings thank the good lord lol. we are saving up to record our first full length in may. As far as the rig we have, we could record a lot better, but we don't have the resources or the sound proofing in our "Studio".

as far as strings, both guitarists used earnie ball
skinny top/heavybottoms and I as a bassist have been happy using the earnie ball power slinky bass strings.

The unit that our lead guitarist was using at that time was a line six half stack, but he recently bought a new fender Frontman 212 which sounds a hell of a lot better, as well as a Boss multiple effects, so his tone has gotten way sweeter! Very Happy

I just like the songs, isnt that the most important? Thumbs Up

as for the costumes, just do what feels right and try to be flexible to your audience. A full crowd of surf affectionados will probably see the masks and go seen that, boring, and in the next bar you'll play for a bunch of people of which only two know surf and 5 guys refer to it as "pulpfictionmusic".... and you might blow them away with the masks....

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

Reverb tanks if you dont have them.

that will make things sound 50% better alone.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I like gimmicks ,they're fun. My personal preference for a surf image is a band with a name that starts with "The" and ends with 's ! I also like clean language and behaviour in matching suits ! Not original for sure ! And before I get my pants flamed off I'm just a fan that fools around with his G&L and I know that dancing teens haven't been the surf audience for quite some time ! Good luck with your band.james

Glad to know you've decided to drop the idea of being a Los Straitjackets cover band. Much better writing your own stuff.
As for the masks, if you're not a LSJ cover band, they could go too.
I think the songs are good but could be developed a little more, to make them more distinctive. My opinion only...
And as people already said before, a better recording and mixing would be really important.
All the best, guys!
Carlos

www.surfadelica.com
www.myspace.com/surfadelica

Page 1 of 1