Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink The Fathoms "Fathom This!" review

Page 1 of 1

The Fathoms: Fathom This! (MuSick 2007)

I got an advance CD-R copy of this from MuSick a week ago, so I thought I’d share some of my impressions after listening to it at least once a day since then (and most of the days multiple times). This is the Fathoms’ LONG-awaited and eagerly anticipated third CD, their first in nine years. There have been occasional rumors through the years that its release was imminent, getting all of us fans very excited, always followed by... nothing. Until now!! Frankie Blandino is still on the lead, and Dave Scholl adds some amazing sax, but the rest of the band is all new. A few things that struck me about the CD immediately: 1) not nearly as much reverb as in the past (!!!); 2) much happier and lighter songs; 3) acoustic rhythm guitar on almost every song. Well, these three things signal quite a change from their first two albums (which pretty much all surf music fans know are among the very best of nineties surf). So, how does it stack up? I’d say it’s an absolutely fantastic album, despite departing from their signature dark, heavy-reverb sound. It’s the kinder, gentler Fathoms, possibly brought on by Frankie becoming a daddy to a girl (I think) since the last release - Cranky Frankie is transformed into Softie Frankie! I also heard from a couple of sources that Frankie has been listening to the Shadows quite a bit and they were a big influence on his more recent songwriting. I must say that I don’t really hear the Shadows in the songs, though - in general I’d say they sound a lot closer to the Ventures. But it’s not the first time an American player tried to sound like the Shadows and ended up sounding as the Ventures! Smile The songs are ultimately very obviously Frankie’s. The guy is a brilliant songwriter, simply stunning (besides being a guitarist of extraordinary sensitivity and skill), with a unique style, and each song exhibits at least a few of his signature elements. The new band members are certainly capable but kinda anonymous sounding. Nevertheless, what matters are the songs, and their service to the songs is commendable. The other small disappointment is that Dave only plays solos (and only on about five or six of the fourteen songs) and doesn’t add to the songs otherwise. He’s clearly just a guest here rather than a full-fledged member. Finally, the production is extremely clean but warm, appropriate to the overall mood of the songs, allowing them to sparkle and shine.

A song by song breakdown:

Fathom This! – a classic Fathoms track, reminiscent of "Race Against Time," with a beautiful moody melody, and a fantastic key modulation that screams Blandino! And a great sax solo, too!

Aqua Beat – happy surf! The song bounces along with lots of energy and an infectious melody, sounding a bit like something by Los Straitjackets (“State Fair,” maybe)

She’s the One – a beautiful, extremely melodic up-tempo piece sounding like Los Straitjackets’ “Isn’t Love Grand” – but better! Very Happy Very Happy Very Ventures-esque, too.

The Palomino – a gorgeous, moody, spaghetti-western-ish song with an acoustic rhythm guitar and a remorseful-sounding trumpet

Castle Island Dream – An echoey lead guitar over an acoustic rhythm guitar playing a distinctly Blandino-esque melody (with some bone-simple piano parts added as a genius arranging touch) – nobody else could have written this song. Happy and bright, like a summer day when you’re in love, it’s my vote for the best track on the album. I just can’t get enough of it!! Thumbs Up

Dagger Bones – A more straight-forward mid-tempo surf track, with a longing, somewhat melancholy melody over an acoustic rhythm, and featuring a nice sax break.

Dark Secret – Surprisingly similar to the Aqua Velvets’ “Guitar Noir,” but still definitely the Fathoms. A beautiful slow track with a brooding and vaguely exotic melody (again over an acoustic rhythm guitar). Very enjoyable.

Leap Froggin’ – now, this is a surprise!! A jump-blues number with a Ventures-esque lead! Many swing elements in the rhythm section, with a super-cool, playful melody that Brian Setzer would have killed for. Some excellent, excellent rhythm guitar playing in the big-band-jazz style (I think by Frankie) behind the sax solo.

Mimi’s Theme – a pretty little number with a light bounce. Again sounding vaguely Los Straitjacket-ish.

Midway A-Go-Go – Goofy and fun go-go music that’s again similar to Los Straitjackets (see “Venturing Out”), but with a great turnaround twist. Sounding kinda like sixties game show music, too.

Panito – a Spanish melody over an acoustic guitar backing, starting off dark and sad and switching to a gorgeous major-key melody for the chorus. A great track, and again very typically Fathoms, especially when the sax comes in.

Pony Expresso – a vaguely Western sounding track with a vibrato-ed lead guitar over lightly galloping electric and acoustic rhythm guitars. (It reminds me of Los Straitjackets’ “Lonely Apache” a bit.)

Rat Bike – another surprise! A tribute to Davie Allan, with full blown fuzz - and even harmony fuzz - guitar! Frankie absolutely nails the Davie sound and melodic style, though the song itself feels somehow restrained.

Tail Waggin’ – More ‘60s game-show music, totally goofy and cheesy. A twin of “Hippo Hump” from “Overboard” (even the same sax style). This one does pretty much nothing for me, but I guess it’s not supposed to be taken too seriously.

The overall impression is of a sunny album that’s sure to brighten anyone’s day. Though I was initially somewhat disappointed to not hear more of the typical Fathoms sound and songs, now I think this was the right move – do something different, grow and branch out. Once I accepted that, I realized just how great this album really is. I think all of you will love it, too. All in all, the long-awaited return of the mighty Fathoms is an unqualified success! I'm sure glad to have them back. And let's hope we'll hear a lot more from them in the future.

(You can hear the title track and "The Palomino" by following the instructions in this thread.)

Ivan

(Edited by BN to fix encoding issues)

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013 09:36:26

Thanks for the review Ivan! I'm looking forward to picking this one up.

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Yeah thanks for the review Ivan. Can't wait to hear this one.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Hi folks! I received a CD-r as well. I don't know how much more I could possibly add since Ivan does a great job at covering all of the bases, especially from a musician’s standpoint.

I will begin with the reverb factor. It's true; it does not have the drippy effect like the first two did.

As far as songwriting goes, the disc is quite diverse. You will not be bored! The first track reminds me of some previous Fathoms tunes, which is probably why Ivan used the term “classic.” I would have to agree, but the rest of the CD is different than the previous material.

Several tunes employ the use of an acoustic guitar for the rhythm section. I would suppose that’s why someone would use a comparison to the Shadows, but I don’t think it’s very reminiscent of the Shadows. I like the use of the trumpet in “Palomino” as opposed to the sax. It really gives the tune that spaghetti feel. The last track, “Tail Waggin,” does have the 60s, Herb Alpert, sort of vibe to it.

The recording quality is excellent.

Overall, if you’re craving the drippy trad stuff, this probably will not be your first pick. However, the song writing and production is very good and would be a great pick for those who dig the Ventures, Los Straitjackets, and I’ll go so far as to say early Big Sandy because of “Leap Froggin.”

My favorites on the disc are tracks 1, 2, 4, and 8.

-K

"Turn the knob to 10 and break it off!" -Baja Marty

emmmm... what do you mean with CD-R? I'm planning to order from MuSick and don't want to pay $15 for a CD-R.....

Every word is like an unecessary stain on silence and nothingness.

spy, certain lucky people received a preview CD-R from Art. You'll get a retail CD if you buy.

thanx Brian! Now I understand!
I'm not a lucky man.... hehe

Every word is like an unecessary stain on silence and nothingness.

Just got it today. Not as bass-heavy as older Fathoms stuff, but that's alright because the sound is PHENOMENAL. I had this cranked up and thought that this is pretty much how a modern (hi-fi) surf album should be recorded. Song-wise I liked my first listen but have to give it a few more to sink in

Got it the day after a fathoms request on my show. arrrrrg

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

I got this last week. There are many songs on here that are simply AMAZING. I was somewhat apprehensive when I had heard that the deep, deep reverb was gone and it wasn't as surfy as the previous 2. However, I am hearing some Shadows, Ventures, and Spaghetti Western influences, and most of new songs are simply STUNNING. I could listen to Dark Secret for hours on end.

Frankie, as always, is just a brilliant songwriter, and such a fluid and tasteful guitar player. Masterful, even. The opening track is enough to convince me this was worth it. I love how the parts of that song fit together. You have an opening surfy motif, and then a nice contrasting guitar part. I can't describe it well, you gotta hear it. Worship The sax is back on a few songs, and Dave Scholl again does a great job with that. The acoustic guitar is a nice touch too and not overdone.

There are a couple of songs I don't really like, but I think I'm thinking of the last song. Like Ivan said, it's in the same style as Hippo Hump. I need to listen more but this is really a must have album. Great job! Don't take so long next time Frankie! A really killer album. We don't get too many like this folks. BUY IT.

I agree,
I heard Kristena's promo copy.
I like it, but I'm not chomping on the bit to get it.
But I will get it.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Brian
spy, certain lucky people received a preview CD-R from Art. You'll get a retail CD if you buy.

I did buy a retail copy! I received that last week. Very Happy

"Turn the knob to 10 and break it off!" -Baja Marty

Just picked this up today. WOW!!!! What a phenomenal album! So strong all the way through. Frankie's guitar prowess and tastefulness really shines on this one. Every single tune is strong and the playing is brilliant. I'd agree that this is very very different from their previous work, but it is a really nice breath of fresh air. Some tracks really remind me of Laika and the Cosmonauts, but with a more Americana vibe to them.

I can't recommend this disc enough. Hopefully they'll hit the road soon. Thumbs Up

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

I picked this one up recently and and I just have to reiterate how much I love this band! They keep refining what they do and really represent the trad style very well. They could stand to explore new song writing "formulas" going forward.

Page 1 of 1