Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Pollo Del Mar

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Pollo Del Mar totally rocks my world. The Pollos rank way high in every category of my lists of favorites--favorite bands, albums, songs... band names--they're up their every time. Year of the Rooster is one of my all time favorite albums, and would remain so even if it consisted only of the first four songs. I agree with Wannes that PDM sounds really great in a studio setting, but in my opinion they sounded even better in the KFJC Pit.

I tuned in live to the pit performance from which the first part of Year of the Rooster was drawn, and every song was an A+. I have the whole thing on cassette, with all the crackles and hisses of bad radio reception, and I still listen to it from time to time. Of course, A Flash of Green was my favorite song of the night. That particular performance was f-ing amazing, ranking in my top, oh, two favorite surf recordings ever (it pops in and out of first place depending on the mood I'm in). My one big complaint about Year of the Rooster is that that Pit version wasn't included. I don't wanna get too pushy here, but I think that if A Flash of Green has resonated so strongly with so many people, then Ferenc owes it to the world to unleash that recording, and he could rule us all. Laughing

A lot has been said about PDM's originals, and I too think they are great. The covers PDM have contibuted to various comps have been as good as the originals. I think their version of "Jack the Ripper" from the MuSick Link Wray tribute is outstanding. Though it is much more polished sounding than any other version I've heard (which can be a bad thing), PDM take the song to a whole different place while maintaining the dangerous vibe of the song.

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

WR
Hey Spud, excellent! I like PDM a lot in the first place, but Flash of Green blew me away completly first time I heard it, and still does, more and more even. quite amazing, actually, list with me:

• the initial main melody is utterly lame and boring, and esp unintersting against the chords. (the main melody it's actually a mediocre bassline)
  • that arrangement starts out completely empty, with only bass drum and one guitar.
  • the middle part depends on some blues-ish solo of some fairly poor wannabe bluesguitarist pentatonic riffs, topped with an 80's symphonic rock amount of delay.
  • Jeremy's drums (and sound) is more rawk! than ever, with the heavy fills, oilskin tom sounds and heavy use of half open hihat.
  • and worst of all, at the start the weird chimey bells, which I suspect are the yuk-setting on a digtech digiverb.

granted there are many great guitarparts too, but I really mean what I said above (try to argue against it!), and it's all the ingerdients of a recipe for disaster....BUT .... when it all comes together, it simply fits together perfectly and sounds AMAZING! what a great great song, one of my absolute favorites from The Golden State. doin' everything wrong and making it come out perfect, Ferenc is a great songwriter to begin with, but sometimes he's an absolute genius!

Flash of Green is on "the golden State" and on "year of the rooster", I suggest getting the first, it has less songs than year of the rooster which is a live/anthology cd kind of thing, and looks mor etempting, but imo the PDM songs sound best with studio quality, plus it is a very good and coherent cd. (think of the songs as chapters in a book rtaher than then a collection of short stories, if that makes sense)

Wannes, It's high time you came over and heard this live. Sorry, should I've called you WR?

outsides

outsides
Wannes, It's high time you came over and heard this live.

Ive seen PDM play live once - an audience of about 10 (day after a big festival or something, do you remember Ferenc?), and they still rocked my socks off. no argument there. BUT, as great as PDM is live, Yo/tR is "just" a live cd, the music is awesome, the production is what you'd expect from a live cd, good not spectacular. GS, however, is one of the very very few 3th wave surf cds with modern production standards that can compete with the pro acts by large recordcompanies. Im not saying that that is the most important thing, or even that everybody has to like that kind of production in the first place, but it is something unique afaic, and the reason I recommended GS. it just stands out in my collection more, it gave me more of a jawdropping "wow" experience. anyway, it's just wanman's opinion. And in the end, Brian of course gave the only right answer when he said "buy both".

Sorry, should I've called you WR?

Wannes, WR, hey handsome, all acceptable. Very Happy

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

I'll have to start calling you Wanman Laughing

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

DannySnyder
I'll have to start calling you Wanman Laughing

it's been my nickname for 20 yrs. one-man, or sometimes one-ass. Wannes, one-ass, get it? Lame

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

better than wise ass,
sometimes I get that one.
Shocked Rolling Eyes Wink

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I remember the first time I saw PDM...I have yet to be so musically intimidated by a first impression of a band.

One of THE GREATEST bands around right now.

And yes...Ferenc is a huge asset to the surf community.

Bob Bitchin'

DannySnyder

SurfBandBill
All I can say is:

Without PDM and all of Ferenc's efforts, there wouldn't really be much of a surf scene in SF.

~B~

Amen Brother.

And a Ma Nish Ta-na to boot!

PDM have been a fave of mine ever since Phil Dirt played them on KFJC in the mid 90s. Then I followed them around the SF scene. Once, my old band, The Tube Sharks, had a gig with them and The Berzerkers (circa '97) at The Purple Onion which for reasons I won't go into, PDM did not play their set. 'Twas still an honor to be on the same bill.

Many albums and dozens of shows, drummers, events and posters later, I am here to say again this is one of the most mature and evolved Surf bands on the modern scene. The music is progressive while being rooted in both trad and eclectic influences. At times, Jones and Dobronyi come across as "The Everly Brothers" of Surf with their intertwined lead guitar harmonies and melodies. And of course, Ferenc's promotional efforts towards the Surf scene are of grand noteworthiness, especially for us in the Bay Area/San Francisco! Fans, be sure to pick up Golden State and Rooster...and any comp they appear on!

we've had the 'year of the rooster' cd playing non-stop in the shop this morning. it's a definite must have in my opinion. having seen them not once, but twice in california a few weeks ago makes it even better. and thanks to insect surfer dave for turning me on to pollo del mar before i got so deeply into surf music.

www.surfintheeye.com

mom_surfing
we've had the 'year of the rooster' cd playing non-stop in the shop this morning. it's a definite must have in my opinion. having seen them not once, but twice in california a few weeks ago makes it even better. and thanks to insect surfer dave for turning me on to pollo del mar before i got so deeply into surf music.

Thanks Carol! And it was great to meet you too.
FWIW, Rooster is my favorite of our CDs too. I have less than 30 left, so pick one up now if you are interested.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

...for the uninitiated - check PolloGuitar's links
"Pollo Del Mar" and "Frankie & The Pool Boys" for some great tunes

Tim O
oestmann guitar

tunes

clips

i'm gonna have to pick up one of those cd's... don't know your music well, BUT the cover of navajo joe you did for the morricone tribute is just awesome... love that whole thing though:)

I wanna play just like him when i grow up...

Goto Page: Previous 1 2