Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Pollo Del Mar

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Heard 'A Flash Of Green' and it's one of those songs I can't stop playing, excellent sounds Ferenc, great mixing of the guitars and the drummer is right on the money, excellent track, it made me go looking for a CD to buy.

maybe b/c the drummer "is right on the money", the song is called 'Flash of Green' ??

oh, never mind

just a stray, unsteady thought passing thru (what else is new?)

UNSTEADY FREDDIE

http://www.facebook.com/unsteady.freddie

Hey Spud, excellent! I like PDM a lot in the first place, but Flash of Green blew me away completly first time I heard it, and still does, more and more even. quite amazing, actually, list with me:

• the initial main melody is utterly lame and boring, and esp unintersting against the chords. (the main melody it's actually a mediocre bassline)
  • that arrangement starts out completely empty, with only bass drum and one guitar.
  • the middle part depends on some blues-ish solo of some fairly poor wannabe bluesguitarist pentatonic riffs, topped with an 80's symphonic rock amount of delay.
  • Jeremy's drums (and sound) is more rawk! than ever, with the heavy fills, oilskin tom sounds and heavy use of half open hihat.
  • and worst of all, at the start the weird chimey bells, which I suspect are the yuk-setting on a digtech digiverb.

granted there are many great guitarparts too, but I really mean what I said above (try to argue against it!), and it's all the ingerdients of a recipe for disaster....BUT .... when it all comes together, it simply fits together perfectly and sounds AMAZING! what a great great song, one of my absolute favorites from The Golden State. doin' everything wrong and making it come out perfect, Ferenc is a great songwriter to begin with, but sometimes he's an absolute genius!

Flash of Green is on "the golden State" and on "year of the rooster", I suggest getting the first, it has less songs than year of the rooster which is a live/anthology cd kind of thing, and looks mor etempting, but imo the PDM songs sound best with studio quality, plus it is a very good and coherent cd. (think of the songs as chapters in a book rtaher than then a collection of short stories, if that makes sense)

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

"A Flash of Green" is one of my favorite cuts on this Starbuck's collection:

Spud, pick up Golden State and Year of the Rooster to hear PDM at their peak. I love those 2 discs.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Having the good fortune of actually playing with/in Pollo Del Mar for a few songs at a show a couple of years ago, I can tell you that their songs are complexly simple, or is it simply complex?

What I love about their songs is that the melody gets stuck in your head and you want to move/head-bang/sing/play air-guitar along with them.

For me, if the song doesn't have some kind of catchy melody or something memorable, then is isn't for me!

Pollo Del Mar doesn't write the standard surf song... they push the envelope, but keep it interesting at the same time.

Pollo Del Mar rocks my world, how about yours?

Paul The Pyronaut

Brian
Spud, pick up Golden State and Year of the Rooster to hear PDM at their peak. I love those 2 discs.

"Year of the Rooster" is a very cool live cd!

I've been a huge fan of PDM since the first time I saw them live when Ferenc so gratiously hosted Surf Report at one of his Hotel Utah gigs in S.F. They absolutely blew me away that day. Totally changed my perception of what could be done in this genre.

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Pyronauts

Paul The Pyronaut

Yes. Great song from a Great band.

CUTBACK

Pyronauts
For me, if the song doesn't have some kind of catchy melody or something memorable, then is isn't for me!

that's what grabbed me about flash of green ... the first verse doesnt have a memorable melody, nor brilliant harmonic structure. but my jaw dropped nonetheless when I heard it the first time! (and the song is stuck in my head ever since spuds initial post)

HELL YEAH!

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

I agree, but I also like the early cds too.
But I guess they are out of print.

I have dug Pollo Del Mar since I saw them at the Surf Museum in the late 90's.

they keep getting better like a fine wine, ( or so I've heard) I hate wine.
Rolling Eyes Wink

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude
they keep getting better like a fine wine, ( or so I've heard) I hate wine.
Rolling Eyes Wink

Jeff(bigtikidude)

They kinda remind me of my first beer.... tastes kinda funny, then the buzz sets in! Giggly smiley fun fun fun!

Paul

WR
- the initial main melody is utterly lame and boring, and esp unintersting against the chords. (the main melody it's actually a mediocre bassline)

No, but seriously Wannes, tell me how you really feel? Wink
Actually, I can't argue with anything you said, except that I think that the live version on "Year of the Rooster" is much better. We had been playing it live for 4 years by that time, so it is a lot tighter and better performed. Also, to my mind, the melody doesn't start until the third section, the first (empty) verse is the set-up, the trap. Yes, the song is not about the individual parts but the sum. It is not complex in any way.
Thanks everybody for noticing! It is a great feeling to have written a song that has resonated so widely.
--ferenc

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

PDM and the Neptunes go a ways back, I’ve always enjoyed taking a step with them to the Pysch side of surf! Ferenc has carried the torch for the whole bay area scene for years! Without him it'd be dullsville for sure!

Hats off to Poy-yo Del Mar! (the way we say it here in Fresno.)

THe NEpTuNeS

PDM play progressive surf music that even trad-heads can like. I don't know how they do it, quite honestly. They're pretty damn ingenious! A very creative and fearless band that has produced some amazing music through the years. Golden State is my favorite by them, a fantastic album.

and yeah, Ferenc's broader contribution to surf music is huge. Releasing the Woodies CD, running Pop Mart back in the nineties and making it much easier to find all sorts of rare surf music releases, bringing the Surf Coasters to the USA several times, doing amazing artwork for many surf music CDs, organizing and facilitating tours by out-of-state bands, organizing MANY local shows and events, it just goes on and on. A remarkable individual. I'm proud to call him a friend.

Ivan

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

UnsteadyFreddie
maybe b/c the drummer "is right on the money", the song is called 'Flash of Green' ??

oh, never mind

just a stray, unsteady thought passing thru (what else is new?)

UNSTEADY FREDDIE

Ha! nice thought pattern Freddie LMAO

• the initial main melody is utterly lame and boring, and esp unintersting against the chords. (the main melody it's actually a mediocre bassline)
  • that arrangement starts out completely empty, with only bass drum and one guitar.
  • the middle part depends on some blues-ish solo of some fairly poor wannabe bluesguitarist pentatonic riffs, topped with an 80's symphonic rock amount of delay.
  • Jeremy's drums (and sound) is more rawk! than ever, with the heavy fills, oilskin tom sounds and heavy use of half open hihat.
  • and worst of all, at the start the weird chimey bells, which I suspect are the yuk-setting on a digtech digiverb.

granted there are many great guitarparts too, but I really mean what I said above (try to argue against it!), and it's all the ingerdients of a recipe for disaster....BUT .... when it all comes together, it simply fits together perfectly and sounds AMAZING! what a great great song, one of my absolute favorites from The Golden State. doin' everything wrong and making it come out perfect, Ferenc is a great songwriter to begin with, but sometimes he's an absolute genius!

Yes, I think you've got it there Wannes, it's the slow build up and layering of the parts that when they get together just creates this terrific tune. Thumbs Up

Will do Brian although 'Golden State' seems to get more votes Smile

They kinda remind me of my first beer.... tastes kinda funny, then the buzz sets in! Giggly smiley fun fun fun!

Paul

Heh! nice analogy Paul, it just grows and grows on you.

PDM and the Neptunes go a ways back, I’ve always enjoyed taking a step with them to the Pysch side of surf! Ferenc has carried the torch for the whole bay area scene for years! Without him it'd be dullsville for sure!

Hats off to Poy-yo Del Mar! (the way we say it here in Fresno.)

It took me awhile to learn how to say the name correctly, at first I thought it was like some sort of take on like Polo, as in horse polo, swimming polo etc etc Paranoid

PDM play progressive surf music that even trad-heads can like. I don't know how they do it, quite honestly. They're pretty damn ingenious! A very creative and fearless band that has produced some amazing music through the years. Golden State is my favorite by them, a fantastic album.

and yeah, Ferenc's broader contribution to surf music is huge. Releasing the Woodies CD, running Pop Mart back in the nineties and making it much easier to find all sorts of rare surf music releases, bringing the Surf Coasters to the USA several times, doing amazing artwork for many surf music CDs, organizing and facilitating tours by out-of-state bands, organizing MANY local shows and events, it just goes on and on. A remarkable individual. I'm proud to call him a friend.

Ivan

Nice to have creative friends like that Ivan. Rock

Take it easy

Bruce Thumbs Up

Well I specifically suggested both Golden State and Year of the Rooster because one is studio and one is live. PDM really shines as a live band on Year of the Rooster, and like Ferenc said, some of the performances have more fire live. You'll enjoy them both.

My musical tastes run mostly trad, but PDM is one of the non-trad bands that I can appreciate a lot.

I put Flash of Green on the 1st podcast for a reason. Smile

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Try driving with A Flash of Green playing. If you're not speeding by the time it's finished something is wrong with you.

Seriously, it is the slow buildup and the fact that by the end those guys are just bashing away that makes it for me.

Swing! Twang! Shake! Twist!

All I can say is:

Without PDM and all of Ferenc's efforts, there wouldn't really be much of a surf scene in SF.

~B~

SurfBandBill
All I can say is:

Without PDM and all of Ferenc's efforts, there wouldn't really be much of a surf scene in SF.

~B~

Amen Brother.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Goto Page: 1 2 Next