Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink Some inspiring eleki stuff

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 517 18 Next

Ivan mentioned in another thread that he had been listening a lot to Japanese eleki lately which I have as well. Made me think I could share some cool eleki pics I had on my computer. If anyone have other eleki related pics, feel free to add them to the thread.

Takeshi Terauchi in action!

TT with his trademark black Mosrite together with the Blue Jeans

Yuzo Kayama performing with the Ventures

Also, a couple of days ago I was browsing eBay looking for records when I came across an auction with only a minute left. Unfortunately, when I finally had figured out that I very much wanted to bid on the record, the auction had ended. The record up for bids was a Japanese promo only compilation called "Ultra Punch Delux" (from 1966 I believe and probably very rare) with some really great eleki and early GS stuff on it. Although I already had some of the Takeshi Terauchi & the Bunnys tracks, some of the other were totally new to me. The seller had put together short sound samples from about 8-9 of the 12 included tracks into one soundfile which I managed to grab and save. First 3 songs are vocals (with great instro lead guitar) and the rest are all instros including the boss "Test Driver".

Featured artists: Takeshi Terauchi & the Bunnys, Minetaka Inoue & Sharp Five and the Sharp Hawks.

Ultra Punch Delux <<< Click to listen (Real Player)

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

I absolutely love the eleki stuff. I was really into it a couple months ago. Takeshi Terauchi is my favorite. I probably prefer his stuff with the Bunny's over his other work. Those pictures are rad. Especially the one with Yuzo Kayama and the Ventures.

Yeah, I also think what he did with the Bunnys is the best although he sure did some great stuff earlier too.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas,

That's a great comp. Here's what I could recognize:

1.) Sharp Five - "Tuiteoide." They recorded a killer instro version as well.

2.) "Yozora No Hoshi" (?)

3.) Sharp Five - "Driving Blues"

4.) I know it's Terry, but can't place the tune.

5.) Terry - "Flying Guitar"

6.) Terry - "Test Driver"

7.) This one's really familiar. I know I've heard a Terry version but can't remember the title.

8.) Sharp Five - "Golden Guitar"--this one gets my vote over "Test Driver" for best Eleki tune.

-Warren

Edit: Oh, and here's a pic of the Sharp Five's signature guitar model.

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

Last edited: Mar 05, 2006 18:37:16

Warren, I'm impressed you recognized almost all the tracks! I only could pick out some of the Terry ones. Do you know of any CDs with early Sharp Five stuff? Also, what about the Sharp Hawks featured on the comp? I don't think I ever heard about them.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Warren may be young but I feel he is one of the most knowledgeable people out there about surf music.

Klas
Do you know of any CDs with early Sharp Five stuff? Also, what about the Sharp Hawks featured on the comp? I don't think I ever heard about them.

I've never heard of the Sharp Hawks either. For the Sharp Five, here's what I've found. (It's kind of long--sorry):

There's a ten-song all-instro self-titled release--of which a LP is on eBay right now for like $15. I bought a CD version online which ended up being a very expensive CD-R. The album's pretty good, though--"Haru No Umi" (which both opens and closes the album) is jaw-dropping--it starts as mellow traditional Japanese music an then builds to an all-out Eleki rager. That's far and away the best one (well, two I guess) on the album, but it has four or five other really good songs as well.

There's also two CDs that have two albums of theirs paired together. One is "Sidewinder"/"Ding Dong--The Beatles" and the other is "Paradise A Go-Go/Four Nice Guys." I have the latter one. It's got a bunch of filler, but there's also some interesting covers. ("Journey to the Stars," "Caravan," four different James Bond themes, etc.) It also has their first two singles as bonus tracks--including "Golden Guitar" and "Driving Blues."

The other one has a bunch of TV show theme covers and a full album's worth of Beatles songs. I don't know if they're vocal or instro, though.

I found another CD on eBay called "Japanese Classics." It has twenty or so songs (all instro) including great versions of "Aoi Hoshikuzu," "Ginza Lights" and "Sentimental Guitar," plus the instrumental version of "Tuiteoide." I've never seen it anywhere else, though.

If you want the tracklists, let me know and I'll post them.

-Warren

Here is the Sharp 5 reissue:

http://www.gakki.com/shop3/guya_sharp5.html

Along with the Teisco Spectrum 5:

Here's some more pics:

Yuzo Kayama sitting in with Terry & the Blue Jeans. (Dig the hats.)

Terry & The Bunnys

Sharp Five lead guitarist Nobuhiro Mine

Great pics but please try to keep the size of the pics down (the two Sharp Five signature guitar pics forces one to use the horizontal scroll bar to be able to read the messages).

Warren, thanks for the very useful info on the Sharp Five releases. Yes, please post the tracklists if it isn't too much trouble. The only Sharp Five stuff I have are 5-6 tracks on a great all instro comp called "Kachinuki Eleki Gassen". The problem is that the tracklist and bandnames are all in Japanese so it's a bit hard to figure out what's on it.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Man, I was just going off in another thread about the heavier stuff I get into, but I'll be damned if Terry & the Blue Jeans' "Kickstand" isn't one of the badassest tunes I've ever heard.

The Disasternauts

Self-Titled

1. Haru No Umi
  2. Rokudan
  3. Chidori No Kyoku
  4. Yakkosan
  5. Etanrau
  6. Sakura Sakura
  7. Gion Kouta
  8. Kiyari Kuzushi
  9. Sanosa Bushi
  10. Haru No Umi (reprise)

Japanese Classics

1. Sentimental Guitar
  2. Wakai Ashita
  3. Gakusei Jidai
  4. Kimito Itumademo
  5. Aitakute Aitakute
  6. Blue Sunset
  7. Tuiteoide
  8. Kyun! Kyun! Kyun!
  9. Lonely First Love
  10. Blue Eyes
  11. Wakamono-Tachi
  12. Itumademo Itumademo
  13. Oyome-Ni Oide
  14. Aoi Hoshikuzu
  15. Shiroi Kumo-No Kanatani
  16. Wakai Yoru
  17. Toi Nagisa
  18. Roma-No Ame
  19. Koyubi-No Omoide
  20. Blue Chateau
  21. Koi-No Hareruya
  22. Ginza Lights

Paradise A Go-Go/Four Nice Guys

1. Thunderball
  2. Lullaby Of The Leaves
  3. Caravan
  4. Journey To The Stars
  5. Danube Waves
  6. Rock Around The Clock
  7. Help!
  8. Yesterday
  9. What'd I Say
  10. Besame Mucho
  11. Unchained Melody
  12. Ten Seconds To Heaven
  13. Goldfinger
  14. From Russia With Love
  15. James Bond Theme
  16. Great Escape March
  17. Love With The Proper Stranger
  18. The Magnificent Seven
  19. Par Un Beau Matin D'ete
  20. Echappment Libre
  21. Seranata Do Mar
  22. Plein Soleil
  23. L'eclisse
  24. Palm Beach

Bonus Tracks:

1. Golden Guitar
  2. Swan Lake
  3. Tsuioku
  4. Driving Blues

Sidewinder/Ding Dong--The Beatles

1. Paperback Writer
  2. Et Maintenant
  3. Batman Theme
  4. Secret Agent Man
  5. Theme From The Man Frem U.N.C.L.E
  6. Theme From Our Man Flint
  7. Blue Eyes
  8. The Cat
  9. The In Crowd
  10. The Sidewinder
  11. Comin' Home Baby
  12. In Un Fiore
  13. Mitchelle
  14. Paint It Black

1. A Hard days Night
  2. Michelle
  3. We Can Work It Out
  4. Girl
  5. I Should Known Better
  6. Nowhere Man
  7. Rock and Roll Music
  8. A Taste of Honey
  9. Please Please Me
  10. I Want Hold Your hand
  11. She Loves You
  12. Ticket To Ride
  13. Yesterday
  14. Help!

Warren, thanks for posting the tracklists! They will definitely be useful to me.

I was wrong when stating above that the "Kachinuki Eleki Gassen" comp contained 5-6 Sharp Five tracks. After running the Japanese tracklist through an online translator it turned out that the Sharp Five only had 2 of the included tracks (9 and 23). Also don't be fooled by the cover art which gives the impression that the comp will be about the later 60s Japanese GS sounds which it isn't. All tracks are mid 60s instros.

Kachinuki Eleki Gassen

1. Pipe line (??? and blue jeans inside temple)
  2. Caravan (Nobuo Kamei and the ??????)
  3. Diamond head (Qiao and knight six Ono,Lotus seeing Yoshio,Tadaaki Fujita,Tashiro Hisashi Masaru)
  4. ??????? sky (Kayama male three and the ??????)
  5. Crewel sea (the ??????)
  6. ?????? No.1 (??? and blue jeans inside temple)
  7. Twisted (the Lotus)
  8. Memory of day of summer (the Giants)
  9. ??where the Beatles come!??!??! (Inoue sect filial piety and sharp five)
  10. Riding in a car ticket of tear (Qiao and knight six Ono, Lotus seeing Yoshio, Tadaaki Fujita, Tashiro Hisashi Masaru)
  11. As for rust dance in me (the ??????????)
  12. ???? of pathos (the ??????)
  13. Search idling (Nobuo Kamei and ??????)
  14. Bulldog twist (the Lotus)
  15. Monkey Cray Gee (Kayama male three and the ??????)
  16. Beat No.1 (????) (??? and blue jeans inside temple)
  17. It is sad, it comes and asks (the ??????)
  18. Paradise ? go & go (the ??????)
  19. The walk ??? run (emergency turn) (??? and the blue jeans inside the temple)
  20. Hot docking (the ??????)
  21. Black sand beach (Kayama male three and the ??????)
  22. 10 Homicide of turn town (Nobuo Kamei and ??????)
  23. The Sidewinder (Inoue sect filial piety and sharp five)
  24. Destiny (SYMPHONY No.5) (??? and blue jeans inside temple)

Question marks are Japanese characters that the translator couldn't handle. (??? and blue jeans inside temple) and (Kayama male three and the ??????) are of course Takeshi Terauchi and his Blue Jeans and Yuzo Kayama and the Launchers respectively. The translation for some of the covers turned out quite funny. For example "Hot Docking" is the Astronauts' "Hot Doggin" Laughing here done by the Spacemen.

As for Yuzo Kayama, I recently discovered an alternate 60s version of his great "Black Sand Beach" that I had never heard before. Check out a short sample of it (track 12) from the link below:

http://www.neowing.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=MUCD-1042

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

This is great info!
Thanks Klas.

The Thunderchiefs

Klas
imageYuzo Kayama performing with the Ventures

Anyone know which record this is (the pic have the Liberty label logo so I assume it's a record)? Did Kayama actually record with the Ventures?

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas
Anyone know which record this is (the pic have the Liberty label logo so I assume it's a record)? Did Kayama actually record with the Ventures?

That pic almost looks like they're backing him on a TV show.

I know there's a somewhat recent Kayama/Nokie Edwards live album where they're backed alternately by the Hyper Launchers and the Ventures. Shigeo Naka and Dr. K also make guest appearances.

It seems to be out of print, though--everytime Amazon lists it as being in stock I order it and a few weeks later get the "We don't actually have this" email, and the last time it was on eBay it hit $50.

-Warren

CaptainSpringfield

Klas

That pic almost looks like they're backing him on a TV show.

Yeah, it could very well be from a TV show but the Liberty logo also suggests something have been put on record. Is Ventures expert Marty Tippens on the new forums?

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas
Yeah, it could very well be from a TV show but the Liberty logo also suggests something have been put on record.

Here's the closest thing I could find. Crappy web translators and Yuzo's tangled discography (there's so much adult contemporary it hurts) don't really help.

From an article by Glenn Sandin (http://60spunk.m78.com/glenn.htm):

"Yuzo Kayama first came to fame as a dashingly handsome young television and film actor. Around 1965 or so, under the Ventures' spell like so many other young Japanese, he formed a backing group, the Launchers, and started recording for Toshiba Records. Yuzo Kayama & the Launchers' albums were usually a mixed bag - part sappy love ballads sung in a manly baritone (no doubt to make the girls swoon)and part gritty, ferocious eleki! Two of his best known instrumentals, "Black Sand Beach" and "Yozora no Hoshi," were even recorded by the Ventures, who were so impressed with the Launchers' performances during a joint tour of Japan that they presented Kayama with one of their own signature-model Mosrite guitars! In recent years Kayama has primarily focused on his acting career, although in 1994 he returned to the studio to cut a great remake of "Black Sand Beach," proving that his six-string skills remain, undiminished. "

My guess would be that the photo was taken during that particular tour. Couldn't find anything about a record, though.

That article brought up an interesting point. I had always thought "Yozora no Hoshi" was originally a vocal--did Yuzo actually record an instro version? Or rather, did he do it as an instro before the Ventures did?

I guess it wouldn't be <i>that</i> surprising--there's a really strange vocal version of "Running Donkey" on the self-titled album of his I have.

-Warren

CaptainSpringfield
That article brought up an interesting point. I had always thought "Yozora no Hoshi" was originally a vocal--did Yuzo actually record an instro version? Or rather, did he do it as an instro before the Ventures did?

I guess it wouldn't be that surprising--there's a really strange vocal version of "Running Donkey" on the self-titled album of his I have.

Interesting, I've only got the instros that are on the "All About Yuzo Kayama" and "Exciting Sounds Of Yuzo Kayama and the Launchers" albums. My impression was always that he didn't do many more instros than these ones in the 60s (there are a couple of songs on the all instro comp "Black Sand Beach" that I don't have).

Just listened to the vocal version of "Running Donkey" and I must say I prefer the instro version!

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas
Interesting, I've only got the instros that are on the "All About Yuzo Kayama" and "Exciting Sounds Of Yuzo Kayama and the Launchers" albums. My impression was always that he didn't do many more instros than these ones in the 60s (there are a couple of songs on the all instro comp "Black Sand Beach" that I don't have).

Phil Dirt put up a review not too long ago of a new all-instro album he did, but aside from that and a handful of tunes in the '60s it seems like he did vocals only.

There's sound samples from that comp here:

http://www.neowing.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=MUCD-1041

If it also had "Los Angeles" and "Monkey Crazy" it'd be a much more solid collection.

Klas
Just listened to the vocal version of "Running Donkey" and I must say I prefer the instro version!

Yeah, no kidding! I heard the instro version first, and never would have guessed it was a vocal.

-Warren

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 517 18 Next