Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink Surf Guitar 101 Convention?

LockNew Topic
Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 512 13 Next

please sticky a thread if this topic already exsists. Confused

I really liked the idea to have a SG101 convention/ party.
I don't even know what to call it.

Obviously this is a SERIOUS undertaking and would require rigorious planning and work.

I just wanted to get some genral feedback about the idea to see if it would even be worth-while.
Let me know things like:
Question Would you go?
Question How far would you travel?
Question Would you pay a ticket price? How Much?
Question Would people want to see bands/instruments/records ect?
Question What would be a good location for the whole group?
Question What time of year would you want it?

ect.
ect.

Please feel free to go nuts...

Markus '15cent'

The InSINerators

It would have to be a multi-day event (ala NAMM) to accomodate many worthy bands and the venue would need to be of some stature/size to hold the folks. Kind of like a Woodstock for surf.

Logistics with regard to food, power, lavatories, etc. would have to be weighed in. I keep thinking of an American Legion hall or something on that level to pull it off. Could be very huge and draw a good non-surf crowd.

Hold on...Wayne and Garth are on the other line..

15cent
please sticky a thread if this topic already exsists. Confused

I really liked the idea to have a SG101 convention/ party.
I don't even know what to call it.

Obviously this is a SERIOUS undertaking and would require rigorious planning and work.

I just wanted to get some genral feedback about the idea to see if it would even be worth-while.
Let me know things like:
Question Would you go? Depends where the location is....
Question How far would you travel? ^^^^^^^^^^^
Question Would you pay a ticket price? How Much?What is included for the price of the ticket? Would it be a Week end Event??
Question Would people want to see bands/instruments/records ect? Absolutely!!
Question What would be a good location for the whole group? We would need a separate poll for this question.
Question What time of year would you want it? Probably a safe bet would be around Summertime, you think??

OK Gang, I stepped off the plank, now it's somebody elses turn.

ect.
ect.

Please feel free to go nuts...

Markus '15cent'

SG101!

.......make the Mos' of it,
.....choose the 'rite stuff!
.........owner of 9 Mosrites
proud owner and documented:
1963 "The Ventures" Model s/n# 0038
http://www.vintagerock4.com
www.mosriteforum.com

Surfguitar101 proudly presents
"1st annual Twangers Ball 2009/10"
I was just throwing a few ideas out to my pal Ryan about this very topic today and I also threw in the idea in HBKahuna's all star jam thread yesterday and I thought wow this gives me the inspiration and the big idea of why not take it to the next extreme level but... for starters we need head organizers folks I have in mind my self, Ryan, Bigtikidude, Kristena and Brian or anyone else that would be up to the task so we can brainstorm, pros and cons plan plan plan and make it happen!
I think we can make it happen I would call it "The 1st annual Twangers Ball 2009/ 2010"
We need to scout out a local union building, big outdoor park, convention center, If we could just pull together and put our talents & resources together the magic can happen and why not us the surf community!!! The Roots, Rockabilly communitys are already doing it with Viva Las Vegas and many other conventions like it around the country and the world why not us!!!!! we can do it!!!!

It can take a few months of careful planning, dedication and commitment, this event would take place in SoCal, I think SoCal would be the ideal choice IMO?

These are the activities I had in mind:
Sponsers is the 1st thing
A swamp meet kinda thing sell surf relatad items cds, music, instruments etc...
Work shops
Open mic
Food vendor
Band merch booths
Tiki
Crafts, paintings surf related
Hotrods custom rides
Pin stripping
Surfboards vintage and new
Theres so many possibilities

For all SG101ers, surf/instro fanatics of all ages all generations in 1 central place for a day or a weekend

Lets' pull together and let's do it folks we can make it happen

I'm in 101% to help!!

-Kyle

Beyond The Surf YouTube channel
Beyond The Surf Instagram
The Verbtones @ Instagram
The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

Yeah, I'd absolutely love to see something like this go down. It would definitely take a hell of a lot of work. I'm definitely down to help out any way I can.

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Count me in. I'll drag my bandmates kicking and screaming if need be.

~B~

There is only one place to have the first one. Ground zero, Surf City USA

I'd be down for this event, especially if it took place in California.
Given a choice, I'd prefer for it to occur in spring or fall, though I'm
sure I'd be in the minority compared to those in favor of summer.
I'd pay quite a bit for tickets, provided some major talent was on
tap. I agree that a multi-day event would be best. I wonder if Fender
or some other instrument manufacturers would help sponsor the
event. Cool idea: I hope we can pull it off.

HBkahuna
There is only one place to have the first one. Ground zero, Surf City USA

To which of the several "Surf City, USA"'s do you refer? Wink

Bob

Bob

I'd like to come... Shocked Rolling Eyes Wink

http://www.myspace.com/surfpunkdiscopanzer

Yeah, me too, make it a 3 or 4 day weekend get together and it would be worthwhile getting on a big ol jet airliner...

Cool Very Happy

I'd make the trek from S. Florida...Surf City= bring your wetsuit.

www.cutbacksurfband.com

Let's do it.......! I'll start packing the van. ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Definitely would have to come up with a date on the calendar soon, 'cause you know everyone that wants to go, would need time to tell work they need those day(s) off............or if you used all your sick days, just call in dead. ROTFL

www.mosriteforum.com

Make it somewhere with direct (and cheap) flights from the UK and I'm almost Guaranteed to come......maybe Confused

StanDiego
Make it somewhere with direct (and cheap) flights from the UK and I'm almost Guaranteed to come......maybe Confused

Yeah, I think we'll probably have a lot of "DEFINITE MAYBE's" up until the time we have a certain date set......

www.mosriteforum.com

StanDiego

Surf City is 45 min from LAX.

I'm down with a SoCal location...Anaheim is a great choice...real close to Huntington...and Disneyland...

Another idea might be Las Vegas: cheap flights, cheap rooms, cheap buffets!

Anyway, keep me in the loop, I'm real good at planning: it's implementation that gets me everytime Wink

We're there dudes! And willing to help put this project in action!

The Mighty Surf Lords- Sparks,Nv.
"Praise The Lords"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHTDYfy0xM8
www.myspace.com/themightysurflords
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mightysurflords

Count me in to do a vendor booth and advertisement in the program - heck, I'd be up for putting together the "official program" of the fest - couldn't be any harder than a Continental magazine - probably do it in the same format. I'd say do it in Vegas - it's been a big hit with the rockabilly crowd, and I think it'd draw more people than SoCal (sorry). It seems like SoCal already has some fairly big surf shows, but I don't see people flying in from all over the US to attend. However, the advantage of SoCal is that you have people there that know the area, know about possible venues and might be able to help out with gear, PA's and such. I'd say one or the other - I can't think of anywhere else that'd draw people in from all over.

I'd also say, maybe, mix in a surf friendly rockabilly or garage band or two - a surf only fest isn't gonna bring in many "outsiders" - do a search for "Surfari USA 1997" to see what I mean.

Sounds exciting though!

Sean
Double Crown Records
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Surf CD's / Vinyl / Fanzines / DVD's
The Desolate Coast - Without A Planet CD
Hipbone Slim aka Sir Bald - Wiggin' Out With CD
Continental Magazine - Issue #36 w/21 Song CD

Having a SurfGuitar 101 convention is a great idea. I'm a new member so I just want to offer up a couple of suggestions. First; keep it near the beach. Surfers tend to be drawn to this type if music which may help increase attendance. Second; don't try and start too big. Let it grow on its own. I attend a few rockabilly/hotrod events every year and they just keep getting bigger. Good luck!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 512 13 Next