Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Latest surf or instro related record you got?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9118 119 Next

How is the sound quality on that since they are Demos?
I have about 10 or more Link cds, and don't want to get this if it sounds like doo doo. I really am not a big fan of demos, unless they sound good, or are drasticlly different( song structure/ or instruments used) than the finished product.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Nothing wrong with the sound quality although some tracks sounds a bit better than others. It's full band studio recordings and you really can't tell that they are demos.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

I just received some earlier Continental Comps from Double Crown. So far, so good.

"Turn the knob to 10 and break it off!" -Baja Marty

I am really digging the Insect Surfers best-of "Satellite Beach". It's not trad surf, it's just really good instro rock with surf and desert touches. Very nice songs.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian
I am really digging the Insect Surfers best-of "Satellite Beach". It's not trad surf, it's just really good instro rock with surf and desert touches. Very nice songs.

That makes me happy to read that Brian, and also your review of the Pollo Del Mar Golden state cd you did on the yahoo group.

Now you need to get some Reventlos and Mermen, and well convert you yet. mwaahahaha Twisted Evil
j/k of course Wink

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

"Dark Side of the Beach" the Razorblades. Holy Shit!!!!! Twisted Evil
Phenominal album!!!!

Bob S.

Bob

bigtikidude
That makes me happy to read that Brian, and also your review of the Pollo Del Mar Golden state cd you did on the yahoo group.

Now you need to get some Reventlos and Mermen, and well convert you yet. mwaahahaha Twisted Evil
j/k of course Wink

No need to convert me. I like a variety of surf. I like the Mermen too, they are very good at what they do. That Live at the Haunted House is pretty amazing. PDM's Golden State and their latest live CD are stunning. I do tend to like the trad surf stuff the most, but if it's good (good songs and good execution) I'll like it no matter where it falls on the trad scale.

V/A - Tokyo Eleki Battle
V/A - Fiberglass Jungle
Squid Vicious - At War With the Whale
The Frantics - Complete Frantics On Dolton
The Squares - Teenage Surf Madness (thanks, Richard)

-Warren

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

Only just recently came across this little gem:

The Meteors - Mental Instrumentals. While not really a "surf" album in the traditional sense, this is one kickass selection of stompin' twangy goodness. (It's been out for 10 years now, so again, late to the part, but it hasn't left my player all week). Can't say enough good things about this cd.

The Disasternauts

I just won a sealed copy of "Surfin' In The Midwest" Vol. 2 long out of print vinyl album for only $21.50 + shipping. Although I already had about 1/3 of the inclusions on other releases there is some really great stuff on here I hadn't heard before. Check out this site for info on all the 3 volumes in this cool series:

http://www.radiorumpusroom.com/bdb/pages/bdb.surf.html

Not so long ago Phil Dirt mentioned that a 4th volume would be released soon. Anyone heard any more news about that?

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

I picked up from the Crimson Ghosts guys about 5 cds. not all instro but I got the
Demon Seeds
Ghouls Night Out,
Phantom Creeps,
Gein and the Grave Robbers
and
the Die You Zombie Bastards

I really like the Gein allthough its not as low fi surfy as they used to be, more like Slayer meets instro( which is good) but kinda different.
The Phantom Creeps is more on the Satan Pilgrims side of things( kinda)
I didn't dig the tone of the voices on the vocal songs, too whinny.
But the cover of Twusted Sisters burn in Hell is worth it alone..
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: Jul 05, 2006 18:18:31

bigtikidude
I picked up from the Crimson Ghosts guys about 5 cds. not all instro but I got the
Demon Seeds
Ghouls Night Out,
Phantom Creeps,
Gein and the Grave Robbers
and
the Die You Zombie Bastards

I really like the Gein allthough its not as low fi surfy as they used to be, more like Slayer meets instro( which is good) but kinda different.
The Phantom Creeps is more on the Satan Pilgrims side of things( kinda)
I didn't dig the tone of the voices on the vocal songs, too whinny.
But the cover of Twusted Sisters burn in Hell is worth is alone..
Jeff(bigtikidude)

I picked up a few at the show as well. I bought the Crimson Ghosts, the new Gein, and the Phantom Creeps.

Of course, I'm totally into the Crimson Ghosts. I think those Misfits tunes make mighty fine instros. The only thing that could make it better for me would be some double picking and more reverb.

Jeff told me about the Gein CD before I listened to it. He knows what I typically listen to. For me, it's 50/50. I like many of the Gein tunes, but some of them lean to toward metal a bit too much for me.

Phantom Creeps is the same. I'm 50/50 on it. There are some great instros, but I'm not into the vocals.

-Kristena

"Turn the knob to 10 and break it off!" -Baja Marty

Just received the Stompers (The Irridescents) "The Silver Sounds of The Surf" 1963 album which I won on eBay recently. Here's what John Blair had to say about it on the old SurfGuitar101 Yahoo group:

_The Irridescents were from L.A. (the info in my book related to this band is incorrect -- reason #1,279 to publish an updated, 4th edition eventually) and "Bali Ha'i/Swamp Surfer" (1963) was their only single (it does have the distinction of having been reissued twice after the original Hawk pressing...on the Infinity and Oldies 45 labels). The band was subsequently "hired" by producer Jonathan Young to record the tracks for a "concept" surf album called "Silver Sounds of The Surf" by The Stompers (a fictitious band). This album included very garagy versions of "Surf Rider," "Hava Nagila," and "Soul Surfer" as well as even cruder instro versions of "La Bamba" and "King of The Surf Guitar." If you were familiar with the better recorded and performed "Bali Ha'i," you wouldn't have a clue The Stompers were actually The Irridescents.

Jonathan Young also recorded as The Moongooners and The Surfside Four, and worked with Scott Engel (Walker Bros) on various recordings as well. The "Silver Sounds..." LP continues to provide one little mystery. Besides the Irridescents' instro tracks, this LP also contains the two Dick Dale vocals "We'll Never Hear The End of It" and "Fairest of Them All" (another story here). An annotation on the back of the LP jacket notes "Dick Dale masters courtesy of Saturn Records." Huh? Dick never recorded for Saturn Records (and those two vocal tracks, as far as I know, were never released on the Saturn label), so that reference is still a bit of a mystery._

At the time I asked John how rare it is and what one would have to pay for a nice copy. His reply was:

The "Silver Sounds of The Surf" LP on Cloister is fairly rare. I haven't seen too many copies of it over the years. I'd think a clean copy would probably get $100-200+ at auction, depending.

My copy is in great condition and I won it for $45 (+ shipping). Looks like I did a pretty good score! As for the music, it isn't as crude or garagy as I thought it would be but still some interesting versions of for example "Surf Rider" and "Hava Nagila".

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Surf Party
Best of the Surfaris Live!
Recorded in 1981
Got it for $8 on ebay.

Pipeline

Into The Blue Sparkle - Slacktone.

Just bought the Crimson Ghosts and the Madeira....USPS should be dropping them off any day now.

Also just got a copy of Tremolo Beer Gut (not sure of the name of the album, but there's a KILLER version of Sonic Youth's "Death Valley '69" that just rules!).

The Disasternauts

THE TREMOLO BEER GUT RULES!!!! (IT'S THE NAME OF THE BAND).
I THINK THEY'RE FROM HOLLAND. I REALLY DIG A LOT OF THOSE
EUROPEAN BANDS (THE ANACONDAS, BAMBI MOLESTERS, BITCH
BOYS, TREBLE SPANKERS, TUBESTONE, ETC....).

BOB s.

Bob

I LOVE the European surf bands as well!!!

Yeah, there are a lot of interesting and exciting Euro surf-bands.

I was finally able to find a copy of The Deadly Ones' "It's Monster Surfing Time". I've been searching for that thing for months.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9118 119 Next