Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Suggestion Box »

Permalink surf ringtones

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

I've just discovered that there are websites that allow you to upload ringtones from your own computer. Why not have a section in the 'downloads' area for ringtones. Maximum song length maybe 30 seconds. I think it'd be cool to have some reverberated tones emanating from our cell phones.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

You need to have access to the internet with your phone to download these ringtones. Most modern phones have mini USB or somesort of removable flash memory. All you have to do it hook it up to your computer and drag and drop mp3s or photos.

On my other computer I have has a program that can edit songs to make better ringtones.

Personally I am very picky on my ringtones and there is only one song I've discovered that I will use that sounds decent over the phone's speaker.

Properly reading your post now I think it would be cool to have ringtones available.

I'm fine with that if people upload original creations and not copyrighted stuff.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian
... and not copyrighted stuff.

The practical problem here is that really you can't use any existing song. I believe that in principle - i.e., legally - you shouldn't even make a ringtone privately for personal use if you make it from commercial material. Of course, as long as you don't distribute it you might get away with it.

On the other hand, ringtones are potentially something any band could either sell or use as a promotional item, though surprisingly MySpace and its competitors (?) don't actually have a facility to make this or that song - or a defined equivalent of it - a ringtone yet! ("Click here to make this your ringtone.") Exploitation of the song as ringtone possibility is mostly restricted to heavily commercialized music so far.

There are definitely web sites fpr downloading ringtones around, mostly commercial. I remember seeing a Susan and the Surftones ringtone offer about a year ago. I'd have been interested if I only had a cell phone. Shocked However, if I did have one, I think maybe I'd prefer something from Slacktone, say a snippet of Daytona Mona?

I hadn't considered the issue that Jake raises of whether a given snippet might sound reasonable on a phone. Let alone what bit or what length of bit might be reasonable as a ringtone. Heck, maybe Slacktone doesn't work well on phones ...

I haven't actually seen anyone take this notion of selling ringtones to the logical extreme of specifically trying to create hit ringtones. So far the material in circulation is mostly either derived from something else or amounts to fairly a fairly simple-minded sound effects things, I think. Or maybe I'm just too peripheral to the cell phone culture to know what's happening.

I gather there may be several phone-specific schemes for ringtone files and/or downloading them. You can definitely get software for creating ringtones from sound files, but you need to make sure it supports your phone. The scheme for downloading ringtones to a given phone can be a bit difficult to use. In particular, you may require specific hardware, which you might need to order as an additional product; i.e., your phone as you bought it may not have a way to accept ringtones from your computer, though it can almost certainly get them from your phone service for a fee. Wink

Another consideration: my kids, who, unlike me, are fully plugged in cell phone people, tell me that fancy ringtones are all very well, but they prefer to save the memory for pictures and addresses, etc.

I think a case can be made that this is legal.

We all have the technology available (for free) to make any song file into your own ringtone. If you already bought a Slacktone CD and load it in your ipod, is it any different to load 30 seconds of it into your cell phone? Aren't most songs available on Amazon for public use in 30 second lengths?

FWIW I'll be posting 30 second snippets of Tmen songs onto the download page. I'll see how Mel feels about MBP songs.

Danny Snyder

_

There are hit ringtones. They are big big business. Teenagers spend an insane amount of money on their cellphones.

On our contact page on our band website, when somebody signs up to be on our e-mail list we send them ringtones from our originals. They have to use the bluetooth technology between their computer and cellphone to upload them, so it's not a direct process. But it has proven to be popular and a lot of people have requested them - especially after seeing us at a show.

CUTBACK

I used this website:
http://www.myxertones.com

It was free, easy and worked perfectly well. It sends the soundfile to your phone so no need to hook up to computer.

Danny Snyder

_

Thanks Danny!

CUTBACK

JakeDobner
There are hit ringtones. They are big big business.

OK, but were they designed as ringtones up front, or are they follow ons to some song that's a hit in its own right? Just asking, from the depths of my ignorance. I'm not claiming there's no such thing or anything like that.

I'm thinking of how people used to make a song, and then maybe add a video treatment, whereas now I think at least some operations make the video and the song is the sound track.

So I'm thinking people might sometimes eventually set out to make a good ring tone and the song would be playing it three times in a row, or concatenating several different ones together. I'm not sure whether I'm intrigued or horrified ...

There is literally people who make ringtones for ringtones sake. And some rap artists released a single via ringtone only.

JakeDobner
There is literally people who make ringtones for ringtones sake. And some rap artists released a single via ringtone only.

wow i guess listening to surf music i am missing so much. LOL

No, you are missing absolutely nothing at all. Well, you aren't missing hit ringtones anyways. They are awful awful things.

JakeDobner
Personally I am very picky on my ringtones and there is only one song I've discovered that I will use that sounds decent over the phone's speaker.

Let me guess. You only like ringtones made with vintage equipment.

Sean

The ringtone I have was recorded with protools, and reissue amps and guitars.

JakeDobner

KILL HIM!!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing

JakeDobner

Get a job kid.

Okay, sorry, I finally got around to adding this download category.

So where are the ringtones you guys? Hmmm

I'll be working on some shortly

Danny Snyder

_

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next