Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink Some inspiring eleki stuff

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 717 18 Next

I came across a couple of interesting instrumental tunes by Tsutsumi Hiroshi and All Stars Wagon at this website:
http://www.garagehangover.com/
Scroll down toward the bottom of the page.

Not garage - these are weird instrumentals with surf influences.
This group may have been discussed here before, but the songs are worth a listen.

Cool, I hadn't heard those two tracks before but have about 10 of their other tunes on the Beat A Go-Go comp (which I highly recommend for anyone into eleki).

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

If you like Eleki, check out Royal Fingers too.

CaptainSpringfield
Manatsu No Umi Wo Buttobase - This is easily the surfiest eleki album I've heard. Terry's using more reverb than usual, and the all-instro album opens with covers of "Kickstand," "Surfin' USA" (which is incredible), "Surf Party" (inexplicably missing that double-picked part before the drum breaks), "Movin" and "Point Panic." It also has a much more raw version of "Bluejean #1" than the one on his Best Original Hits comp.

The keyboards are pushed way to the back on most of the songs, which definitely isn't a complaint, and Terry's guitar playing is really good throughout. The fuzz breaks on the Surfaris tune are a little grating, though. Stylstically it's pretty similar throughout (minus one impressive stab at exotica), and the three original songs are excellent. I really can't recommend this one enough. I also can't seem to find the artwork for it online, but the cover has a shot of Terry & band goofing around in knee-deep water holding surfboards.

-Warren

For anyone interested, there's a factory new copy of this great album on eBay right now image for only $9.46 (retail price $35.99)

Manatsu No Umi Wo Buttobase

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas

For anyone interested, there's a factory new copy of this great album on eBay right now image for only $9.46 (retail price $35.99)

Manatsu No Umi Wo Buttobase

Cool!! Thanks, Klas, I just picked it up!! Warren already kindly made me a copy a couple of years ago, but it'll be nice to have the original.

Ivan

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Klas

PolloGuitar

Klas

Klas
imageYuzo Kayama performing with the Ventures

Anyone know which record this is (the pic have the Liberty label logo so I assume it's a record)? Did Kayama actually record with the Ventures?

I asked this question to a friend of mine, Yuzo Sasaki- he is the edtior of a Japanese magazine called New Eleki Dynamica and has interviewed Nokie and Kayama many times. Here is his response:

Dear Mr. Ferenc
Yuzo Kayama played guitar with The Ventures on Japnese TV show in 1965. He has never done his recordings with them,you watched the photo of TV show maybe . I think he's been very friendly with Nokie for a long time,and sometimes played with him at live house in Tokyo.
thanks
Best Regards.
YUZO SASAKI

Thanks for investigating it further. The answer isn't really surprising though as I would have been surprised if there actually were any released recordings. Still a bit strange with the Liberty logo showing up on the picture unless Kayama also was on the label? As for the TV show, I'm sure it would be awesome to watch but it's probably trashed as are so much other cool TV stuff from the 60s.

Not much hope of ever being able to catch that TV show footage but I just came across a more recent clip of Yuzo Kayama and the Ventures doing "Black Sand Beach" and "Wipe Out" together (starting at 3:45).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmiaB9LtP6Q

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

For anyone interested, there are currently 5 new copies of Let's Go Eleki Bushi on eBay at only $7.80 (list $35.99). I know I payed a lot more for mine.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas
Not much hope of ever being able to catch that TV show footage but I just came across a more recent clip of Yuzo Kayama and the Ventures doing "Black Sand Beach" and "Wipe Out" together (starting at 3:45).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmiaB9LtP6Q

That's a pretty cool clip, thanks Klas.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Klas
For anyone interested, there are currently 5 new copies of Let's Go Eleki Bushi on eBay at only $7.80 (list $35.99). I know I payed a lot more for mine.

Come on, people - it's definitely worth picking up for that price. I think I paid $15 for my copy of the CD reissue.

-Warren

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

CaptainSpringfield

Klas

Come on, people - it's definitely worth picking up for that price. I think I paid $15 for my copy of the CD reissue.

-Warren

agreed. this is a cool cd, especially at this price.

I got one! Thanks for the heads up.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian
I got one! Thanks for the heads up.

Cool - you won't regret it. )Unless you end up hating it. Then you'll probably regret it.)

-Warren

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

Thanks-I've been diggin the Ventures stuff that was for "Japan Only Release". Definately looking forward to getting into this genre of music.

This post has been removed by the author.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009 20:29:27

Nice find Zak!

Trevor von Drat

http://www.myspace.com/vondrats

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009 20:29:31

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009 20:29:36

Not a good idea to download albums that are currently in print. If people don't buy these often small run reissues, the labels will stop putting them out. Simple.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009 20:29:50

zak
Thanks for the unsolicited morality lesson. Confused

You're welcome although I don't care about morals in this case.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 717 18 Next