Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Link Wray finally inducted into Rock & Roll Hall of Fame (Class of 2023)

Page 1 of 1

It sometimes takes the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame forever to get it right, but I'm glad to see Link Wray finally made it. I have a lot of issues with the HOF, but my major cause of disagreement was the omission of Link Wray. He should have received the honor in the first year. His sound on "Rumble" was the genesis of hard rock.

As far as his connection to surf music goes, yes, he was more rockabilly and classic early rock, but "Jack the Ripper" always placed in the top twenty of the old SurfGuitar & North Sea Radio Classic Surf top 101 surf tracks. "Run Chicken Run" and even "Rumble" also made the top 101 list.

It's a standing joke to see an "Explicit" content warning on instrumental albums, but "Rumble" was banned by many radio stations. It doesn't get any more badassed that.

For what it's worth, here's the full list. (Iron Maiden is still waiting. And they call it a Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. I say bah humbug, but congratulations, all the same, to those who have made it.)

The full 2023 list of the 38th annual inductees:

Performer Category

Kate Bush
Sheryl Crow
Missy Elliott
George Michael
Willie Nelson
Rage Against the Machine
The Spinners

Musical Influence Award

DJ Kool Herc
Link Wray

Musical Excellence Award

Chaka Khan
Al Kooper
Bernie Taupin

Ahmet Ertegun Award

Don Cornelius

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
My Classic Instrumental Surf Music Timeline
SSS Agent #777

Good old Link finally made it - about goddamn time.
4 wives, 9 children, 24 grandchildren, and 2 (and counting) great-grandchildren. What's left of him has long been dissolving into the elements in Denmark - a long ways from Norfolk, Va.
His own brother ripped him off, wife number 4 was a paranoid, neurotic,
nut case (Saw that myself at several of his last shows). One of his estranged sons wanted to see him and protective, fusspot wife interfered - all during the show - one of his last. Jesus!!

Link made several families; he just wasn't what most people would call a family guy. I'm wondering who will show up out of all the "issue" that Link produced to accept the award. I'm thinking none. And I hope I'm wrong.
J Mo'

That's great that he finally made it. Is Dick Dale in the HOF?

Rumble influenced a teenage Jimmy Page. Also, congratulations to Al Kooper and Bernie Taupin.

Jimmy Listens To Rumble

-John

"...enjoy every sandwich." -Warren Zevon

Fender Stratocaster American Pro II
Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue

TimmyTurbo wrote:

That's great that he finally made it. Is Dick Dale in the HOF?

Unfortunately, no. Another bone of contention I have with the HOF.

The only other surf music-adjacent HOF-ers are The Beach Boys (inducted in 1988), Duane Eddy (1994), and The Ventures (2008).

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
My Classic Instrumental Surf Music Timeline
SSS Agent #777

I wish everyone would stop talking about that stupid worthless institution. It's like Snopes. Just some random assholes who pretend to be some kind of authority.

My respect is long lost for that institution but maybe at least I have less reason to hate them now.

I'll give them this: it's well named as a Hall of Fame. Not the Hall of Importance, it's just a list of famous musicians collected by famous musicians. A nice big club where they can tell famous people that they're famous.

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

There's a few surfy sounds with Link. His daughter Beth campaigned long and hard for the Hall thing, so I'm pleased for her. But generally, awards ceremonies just stink.Theyll be banging on about how he's the godfather of heavy metal....a style famous for busy noodling guitars which was never links thing. Here's Mustang. There's some cool Premier reverb tank on a few of his recordings
https://youtu.be/hlm-dh9qsx8

Last edited: May 03, 2023 23:49:50

ElMonstroPorFavor wrote:

I'll give them this: it's well named as a Hall of Fame. Not the Hall of Importance...

Great point! Never thought of it that way, but I will be from now on.

--
Project: MAYHEM by Hypersonic Secret now available!

Good to see Link is in, but Dick Dale should definitely be in. As far as the institution, I think they should stop calling it the "Rock" hall of fame, when they keep putting people in that weren't really Rock n Roll.

The Cars got in a few years ago, just before Ocasek passed. That was nice.

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

Last edited: May 04, 2023 12:44:58

He was inducted into the Native Music Awards Hall of Fame in 2007. Sadly after he passed, but recognized none the less. The hall of fames are like the awards shows; they are just people’s opinions and are often only voted on by members of the organization running them, like it or not.

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

Last edited: May 04, 2023 12:41:35

revmike wrote:

He was inducted into the Native Music Awards Hall of Fame in 2007. Sadly after he passed, but recognized none the less. The hall of fames are like the awards shows; they are just people’s opinions and are often only voted on by members of the organization running them, like it or not.

Yes, very prevalent in the "Entertainment" industry, although the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame used to have a preliminary vote that included fan votes. But yes Hall of Fame voting reminds me of radio station run by record labels.

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

Last edited: May 04, 2023 12:48:25

Few deserved it as much as he did. Discovering him changed my whole outlook on music.

Did a couple papers on him when I was studying musicology. His importance goes so far beyond instrumental rock / surf.

Fear The Bat People !

About time!

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

imageHi Noel!!! Hope you're doing well. Timmy

Page 1 of 1