Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink are the tone bakery creme verb any good for surf

Page 1 of 1

are the tone bakery creme verb any good for surf. ive been looking into them as a cheaper option instead of buying the fender reissue 6g15 units. if anyone has any ideas on what else would work for that sound. right now i only have a fender champion 100 witch is soild state and has a awful digital spring reverb and i have a squire classic vibe 60s strat. is there a way to get the tone im looking for a lower price but not pedals?

I can't comment on tone bakery as I've not used one.

You may have occasionally heard mention on this forum of the Surfybear reverb units. They are the best option, hands down.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2023 22:13:14

thanks sandbug ill look into that but the surfybears dont have tubes so it might not be good for a soild state amp.

The sound of Surfybear reverb units are not going to depend on whether you have a solid state or tube amp - they sound good either way.

I actually have a Tone Bakery Cream Verb and it's pretty much a Chinese made pretty close copy of a Fender '63 unit except the Tone Bakery unit's reverb pan is attached to the bottom of the cab instead of suspended by springs and the Tone Bakery Unit is covered in non-lacquered tweed instead of Tolex. One thing the Tone Bakery unit has more in common with a real vintage Fender Unit vs the now discontinued Fender Reissue is the Tone Bakery is actually point to point hand wired while the Fender Reissue is PCB. Mine came with a 17" Accutronics 2 spring pan. If you order from Tone Bakery make sure they are sending you a unit with the 17" long pan (I have heard of at least one person who received one with a short pan; the long pans sound better). While hand wired, the other components are not boutique quality but not bad either. I changed out the stock 6V6 for a vintage correct NOS 6K6 tube and upgraded the cheap reverb pan cables (a wise $5.00 investment). I have to say that the Tone Bakery Unit does sound authentically surfy, with plenty of drip and splash on hand (easily as good if not better than the discontinued Fender Reissues which are quite expensive these days). Now while the Tone Bakery appears pretty well made (I have experienced no issues) if you are going to play out with it, you might want to consider any of the Surfy Bears (which sound great and are pretty much bullet proof) or even a Pedal like the True Spring or Oceans 11. But long story short, at least the Tone Bakery Reverb I have does do spot on authentic Fender Tube Driven Outboard Unit splashy, drippy surfy reverb tones.

i just ordered one on reverb and the seller says he has 6k6 in it and all new parts to sound like the fender units with a 17 inch pan and everything i only got it for $399 but well see if its any good.

Sounds promising. Considering it has some upgrades (NOS 6K6s are still plentiful but they don't give 'em away for free) it's not that much more than some stomp boxes can cost these days and it's still at least half the price of what they are getting for used Fender Reissue Tanks. Good luck with your new Tank and post when you get it.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 16:08:19

it will come in around a week or two see you then.

Page 1 of 1